FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle MarCum Technologies The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Bow mount trolling motor  (Read 569 times)

sisabdulax

Bow mount trolling motor
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Hey all,

Found my way over from the Shanty...finally. I am just trying to get some opinions on a Bow mount Trolling motor with foot control. Seems as this old school option gets left behind the newer ones don't have great reviews. So I figure i would ask here. I am new to boating so to speak and converting my fish-n-ski to mainly FISH!! I am looking at 55lb thrust. I know the big boys Minn Kota and Motor Guide, anyone else worth looking at? What say Ya'all?   Thanks ahead of time!

Mike

Mac Attack

Re: Bow mount trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I have a 80# Minn Kota Terova with 60” shaft and ipilot on my 16’ Lund Rebel XL.
I feed it with 4 deep cycle batteries wired in series parallel
Use it to troll for walleye on Lake Erie along with my Honda kicker.
The terova handles the steering with the ipilot
And the spotlock feature is awesome when anchoring for perch.  No hauling in an anchor every time you want to move spots.
Not a cheap setup, but worth every penny.

sisabdulax

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Thank you! I have seen those and they look sweet, but outta my current budget. I am only running a 12v system on a 15' boat. Kinda new to the boat thing so want to keep it simple right now. But  once I cant form some opinions on my own I am sure I will get there. ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:48 AM »
my previous boat 16’ I had a transom Mount minn 55#, when I sold the outfit it was 7 years old and still was running perfectly , had a bow mount , I used it for jigging
 The  terova is great but not within everyone’s Budget JM .02

sisabdulax

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:43 AM »
My biggest concern is some of the reviews on the cable drive old school bow mounts are less than desirable. I would love one of the newer ones but it costs more than my boat! lol. And brand wise its like the Ford Chevy debate. Just kinda looking for some input on a quality product. When your looking to dump 500 on a motor Id like to get something decent.

sisabdulax

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2018, 01:08 PM »
So been still looking for a bow mount, I believe the Power Drive best fits my current budget. Now I have a new question! I am looking at the base model with a foot pedal. My question arose with the bluetooth option. Why would or wouldn't I need it? I am looking at the possible option down the road of upgrading to the Ipilot(via buying the upgrade parts). So is this where I need it or will the upgrade come with it?  Thanks in advance.

Mike

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Get the I-pilot. The remote with spot-lock is something you cannot live without.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.