FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Cod Canal - 2018  (Read 52921 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Cape Cod Canal - 2018
« Reply #360 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:12 AM »
yes treesstand over bait .yes I've done some bird hunting in Pittsburgh new Hampshire when I drew a moose tag a few years ago.

Ahh yes. I am VERY familiar with Pittsburg NH. Indian Stream, Maggaloway, and many other areas less traveled and far more productive. If you ever plan a trip up there, let me know I run my 3 pointers.

How did you do with your moose tag?
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #361 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 AM »
He means in the canal.  Montauk for me Mike would be a surfcasting deal.  No need for a boat aside from traveling.  Your welcome to join me.  Prereqs would be drytop and korkers.  I like to get out there on those rocks.

10-4

Surfcasting works for me as well! My boat or the ferry are just fine for an adventure.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #362 on: Aug 14, 2018, 11:36 AM »
10-4

Surfcasting works for me as well! My boat or the ferry are just fine for an adventure.

I like the idea of taking the boat over.  There would be lots of targets to cast at on the way.

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #363 on: Aug 14, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Ahh yes. I am VERY familiar with Pittsburg NH. Indian Stream, Maggaloway, and many other areas less traveled and far more productive. If you ever plan a trip up there, let me know I run my 3 pointers.

How did you do with your moose tag?
shot a cow dressed out at 455 lbs small one but good eating got her thefirstnight of the week 130 yard shot spent the rest of the week running the Brittany's on birds.
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

Knot there yet

« Reply #364 on: Aug 14, 2018, 01:31 PM »
There should be no fishing in canel. Man made means they should go unmolestered or hampered. Free pass. MOP

lowaccord66

« Reply #365 on: Aug 14, 2018, 01:40 PM »
There should be no fishing in canel. Man made means they should go unmolestered or hampered. Free pass. MOP

Thats an interesting point of view.  With the numbers being what they are I almost agree.  I always thought it was ironic that its one "shipping lane" you can fish without getting slapped for it.  Try casting in the locks off the Charlestown Dam...see how quick they correct you!   ;)

westernmas

« Reply #366 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:14 PM »

Is this opinion specific to the salt?  There are a ton of man made reservoirs that get heavy fishing pressure all year.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #367 on: Aug 14, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Is this opinion specific to the salt?  There are a ton of man made reservoirs that get heavy fishing pressure all year.

Rumor is the Army Corps is aware of the crowding issues and may take corrective action.  Some of you may not realize what that means...go try to fish the outer cape and you will see how effective the enforcement is.  Could get interesting. 

Knot there yet

« Reply #368 on: Aug 14, 2018, 03:28 PM »
It’s like lassoing cows already in the shoot. It wasn’t built for fishing fish should get free passage.If the migration isn’t hard enough we funnel them through a  narrow canal  and call it sport fishing. Would you jig a fish ladder and call it salmons fishing. Then go at low tide when there is no water either. What chance does a fish have. Now that it’s 24-7.  April till Halloween. I just don’t consider it sporting.  I don’t poach Reservoirs ours here is off limits or any other posted waters. The legal one are fine.

westernmas

« Reply #369 on: Aug 14, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Rumor is the Army Corps is aware of the crowding issues and may take corrective action.  Some of you may not realize what that means...go try to fish the outer cape and you will see how effective the enforcement is.  Could get interesting.

What has changed on the outer cape?  I haven't fished there since I was really young and had no clue what I was doing.  My family rented a house in Eastham or Wellfleet since before I could remember until i was in high school.  What are they enforcing out there that they didn't previously?
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #370 on: Aug 14, 2018, 03:39 PM »
It’s like lassoing cows already in the shoot. It wasn’t built for fishing fish should get free passage.If the migration isn’t hard enough we funnel them through a  narrow canal  and call it sport fishing. Would you jig a fish ladder and call it salmons fishing. Then go at low tide when there is no water either. What chance does a fish have. Now that it’s 24-7.  April till Halloween. I just don’t consider it sporting.  I don’t poach Reservoirs ours here is off limits or any other posted waters. The legal one are fine.

There really just needs to be more enforcement of the laws at the canal.  I saw someone with a maybe 20 inch fish that he kept and commercial guys giving away fish under 34 inches.  If there were epos around they would have clearly checked that person w the short fish, took his fish, gear and gave him a hefty fine.  The punishment for poaching also needs to increase drastically to deter people from "playing" stupid.  Fishing the canal is no different than fishing any of the great lake tribs during the salmon/steelhead season.  Granted you could make the same argument about fishing the salmon river and some of those tribs.  Personally I think it is all very cyclical.  The last few years have seen epic blitzes down at the canal and hoardes of people have come out.  The blitzes will die down, people will get discouraged and you will be able to fish in peace again.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #371 on: Aug 14, 2018, 04:39 PM »

This is PETA material knot there...fodder for the antis.  The commercial guys off Chatham murder millions of pounds.  It doesnt matter that they are not in the canal.  Your rhetoric is pointed in the wrong direction.  Recs have some impact but they reduced the rec limit to keep the comm limit up.  Meanwhile the draggers dragging for fluke are killing thousands of pounds of bass as bycatch and must release them.  They cant be counted towards the comm quota.  Yet you are worried about the canal and rec anglers.  Laughable to say the least.  I know guys doing 1400lbs a trip off Chatham...and you call out the canal.  Yo-yoing bunker with advanced electronics and you want to call out the canal?  Meanwhile that 35 plus you caught looked pretty dead to me...pick a side is all im saying.

Pat...its so bad.  Parking restrictions all over.  Unannounced beach closures....rangers with state police authority.  Go to Nauset...try taking a 15min nap...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #372 on: Aug 14, 2018, 05:15 PM »
You are already late sir.
they are just starting to show up around vineyard sound. May take the boat out this weekend to target kingfish.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #373 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:26 PM »

Are you on the right forum? You make no sense what so ever.
 What difference is the canal with stripers passing thru vs a river funneling spawning salmon travel and are legally fished?
Not all the stripers migrate thru the canal. They also travel around the cape.

lowaccord66

« Reply #374 on: Aug 14, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I guess we better close off Deer Island rip and Hull Gut too...ya know, because stripers funnel through those spots. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.