FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: PERCH  (Read 14053 times)

Spooled85

Re: PERCH
« Reply #135 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:18 PM »
There was a picture in cheifs bait in Michigan city of a comarant that don't cut open and it was stuffed plum full of perch !!

abishop

« Reply #136 on: Apr 23, 2019, 02:03 PM »
There was a picture in cheifs bait in Michigan city of a comarant that don't cut open and it was stuffed plum full of perch !!
MAYBE THAT IS WHERE I SAW IT.

taxid

« Reply #137 on: Apr 23, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Was it this one?

And look at the size of this walleye one ate!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #138 on: Apr 23, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Ain't that just crazy ! I was on lake Erie this weekend and those things are everywhere out there

taxid

« Reply #139 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Was told by a biologist in Alpena Michigan that when they planted brown trout into Lake Huron they would be on them like stink on you know what. Actually corral and decimate them. I think they've since used a different stocking strategy.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #140 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Ya that sucks , I know where they put the finger link steelhead in Michigan City trail Creek the seagulls have a heyday on that deal too

MC_angler

« Reply #141 on: Apr 24, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Was it this one?

And look at the size of this walleye one ate!

Yep, that's the picture - I've seen it attributed to about 15 different states since it popped up on the internet in 2011. Supposedly from Lake Oneida, but the source on that is some random guy's blog

It's not seagulls eating steelhead fingerlings in Michigan City...it's terns. Caspian Terns to be exact. They do catch some smolts, but there's typically less than a couple dozen terns working the harbor, so the amount of damage they can do during a relatively brief period of outmigration is pretty minimal given the total number of salmonids stocked. Thankfully, we do not have the bird predation problems that some other places have, with hundreds and hundreds of piscivorous birds stacked in harbors at outmigration/planting time.

FWIW, there was a graduate student that studied the East Chicago cormorant population over 2 years and they didn't find a single trout or salmon in the stomachs, nor any of the coded wire tags used to mark chinooks or lake trout.

Alewife, gobies (80% or more combined), and perch are the main diet in Indiana waters of Lake Michigan

abishop

« Reply #142 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Anyone been out to the clay flats?

taxid

« Reply #143 on: Apr 24, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Thanks MC_Angler. Always good information!

Spooled85

« Reply #144 on: Apr 24, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Well I have personally watched seagulls taking advantage of it also

taxid

« Reply #145 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Well I have personally watched seagulls taking advantage of it also

Don't Terns look a lot like Seagulls? I know there are several different birds that look similar to me and I call them all Seagulls.

Spooled85

« Reply #146 on: Apr 25, 2019, 06:08 AM »
Yes they look some wjat alike , but make a little different noise . One dives one doesn't.

abishop

« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Anyone been out?

abishop

« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Working on the lake front lately. Last couple days looked very calm. Wondering if anyone has been out for the yellow gold yet. The lighthouse in Gary usually puts them out around June. Won't be long. Seems like the days I get off have been calling for thunderstorms. That is enough to keep me home.

abishop

« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2019, 08:29 AM »
I will be out there tomorrow if plans stay the way they are now. And will post what I find
good luck 2 you. Michigan City or Portage???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.