FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Placement of manual down riggers  (Read 3211 times)

wshniwsfshn

Placement of manual down riggers
« on: Jun 17, 2018, 04:16 PM »
I have 14 ft tiller with a 25 hp and split bench in the middle would you mount one off the back an one on the opposite side middle ?or both middle ? Using easy troll by cannon thanks and pictures would be great

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Placement of manual down riggers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2018, 04:37 PM »
My buddy has a 14 ft. deep vee Gruman with a tiller.  We tried them off the back but found it was too "crowded" back there so we moved the down riggers forward. Actually mounted them on the oarlocks. Worked out perfect. He can easily use them alone and run the tiller too, or there's plenty of room for a mate to run things too.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Off the rear
On each corner

wshniwsfshn

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2018, 07:48 PM »
 fishnmachine would you be able to get pics if possible thanks

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:11 AM »
My buddy has a 14 ft. deep vee Gruman with a tiller.  We tried them off the back but found it was too "crowded" back there so we moved the down riggers forward. Actually mounted them on the oarlocks. Worked out perfect. He can easily use them alone and run the tiller too, or there's plenty of room for a mate to run things too.   ;D
What he said.  My boat is the same set up as yours.  Too crowded and a PIA to keep track of everything fishing alone when it's beside and behind you with nothing really to mount them on as well.  I mounted a short seat pedestal with the rigger mount on it to my starboard split bench for those times I want to wash deep lures.  I don't troll often enough to mount another permanent.   It's much easier to rig and keep track of everything a couple feet in front of me instead of playing bobblehead every few seconds.  The blowback on the ball and cable keeps everything in the cone of the graph.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2018, 08:26 AM »
fishnmachine would you be able to get pics if possible thanks
Sorry, that would be pretty tough to do. Life has us living an hour and a half apart these days.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

wshniwsfshn

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Fishnmachine thankyou anyways

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Most people are going to tell you to mount them as rearward as possible. I went against the grain and mounted them 4' forward of the stern to allow me to use them (and mount them) easier and I'm pleased with it. The only time I think it would be a problem is if I ever went to the big lakes and fished deeper than 120 feet. Then I would probably have an issue with blowback and making sure I kept the cable out of the kicker prop. First season with this setup and still working the bugs out, I may feel different in the future.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Most people are going to tell you to mount them as rearward as possible. I went against the grain and mounted them 4' forward of the stern to allow me to use them (and mount them) easier and I'm pleased with it. The only time I think it would be a problem is if I ever went to the big lakes and fished deeper than 120 feet. Then I would probably have an issue with blowback and making sure I kept the cable out of the kicker prop. First season with this setup and still working the bugs out, I may feel different in the future.

I dont think youd have a blowback issue if you use a heavier ball.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Off the rear
On each corner

Ditto. I have mine mounted on the oar locks but the downrigger ball doesn't always show up on fish finder which annoys me. Will be moving them to the back.

The boat is a 14 1/2 foot aluminum Starcraft that I removed the bench seats from and put a floor in.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2018, 12:53 PM »

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2018, 01:09 PM »

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2018, 01:16 PM »
I dont think youd have a blowback issue if you use a heavier ball.

I may not have a blowback issue even with my 10lb'ers, I certainly don't when I've got 150 feet of cable out at 2.5mph. I also don't have electric riggers (yet, but I will) so I have no interest in much heavier balls or fishing deeper water than 120 feet.

Mac's link shows blowback calulations. Pretty handy charts actually.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I may not have a blowback issue even with my 10lb'ers, I certainly don't when I've got 150 feet of cable out at 2.5mph. I also don't have electric riggers (yet, but I will) so I have no interest in much heavier balls or fishing deeper water than 120 feet.

Mac's link shows blowback calulations. Pretty handy charts actually.

exactly.

Blowback is all relative.
There is always blowback.
How much depends on speed, weight of the ball, cable lowered, and even things like water temperature and cable diameter if you want to get silly.
Walleye trollers go slower that salmon trollers (generally).
So they get less blowback.

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2018, 02:01 PM »
 Very true Mac
The shape of the weight also matters

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.