FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: UP of Michigan Trip  (Read 1711 times)

Teacherpreacher

UP of Michigan Trip
« on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Just got back from 2 week in UP of Michigan. Great trip! My 38th year!
 First couple of days hot and humid but caught fish. Secound year in a row couldn't locate those big female bluegills I usually get in 18' of water. Caught one 10 1/2 incher. Caught lots of males still on beds with fly rod. The deep beds, 8'-10' feet were barren as big ones already spawned for the most part. Surface temp was 77 degrees. Warmest I've ever seen but if you swam 2-3' down would hit those really cold spots from the many springs. Lake never gets very warm deeper.
Caught really quality bass, both smallmouth and largemouth sitting in 22' of water throwing up towards 12' feet. Hot n Tots, Hair frog with fly rod. Bass were really potted eating crayfish. Lots of 2-3 pounders. Largest northern caught by young fellow I took along first week, 34 incher. He had a ball!!

Feel blessed to have made it up and back one more time!!! Great country!
Teach

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

Re: UP of Michigan Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Glad to hear you and the young fellow you took with you had a good time. Sorry the timing wasn't right for the gills. I ran into the same thing on my vacation out east in June. The big fish bedding was all but over. It was cool all spring and then it really heated up briefly. That was all it took.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishcrazy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Glad you all had a good trip. The water is upper 70s here on Chicagoan also. Def the warmest I’ve ever seen. Been wading out in shorts and surf boots a lot perfect weather for it. And it’s fun! Cooled down to 70 today and NW wind is blowing good. Too hot to fish during the day so took the family on the ORV routes

RoeBoat

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Sounds like you had a great trip.  Hopefully you can go back next year!

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:31 AM »
We are heading up that way in a few weeks.  Hopefully the water will have cooled down a tad by then. We camped in the Sylvania primitive area a few years ago and had excellent fishing for smallies.  May have to go back.

Fish on,

rivereddy

Daybreak

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Great report Teach!  Glad you had a good time.  We are looking forward to heading up there in late August.  Probably won't be doing much bass fishing, but hoping to wear out the panfish and walleye.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Glad you all had a good trip. The water is upper 70s here on Chicagoan also. Def the warmest I’ve ever seen. Been wading out in shorts and surf boots a lot perfect weather for it. And it’s fun! Cooled down to 70 today and NW wind is blowing good. Too hot to fish during the day so took the family on the ORV routes

Love that picture! Nothing like a happy family having fun together!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Congrats Teach, Glad your still making the trip and catching fish!!!!!!  That has to spoil you for Pine?

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:15 PM »
WTG TEACH.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:06 PM »
 :)Sounds like a good time was had by all, Teach! Its great when things work out after traveling that far. I made it to my cabin near Irons for about 5 days before the 4th. Daytime temperatures were pretty tough 90's and consequently daytime fishing was the same but we did ok at night for brown trout. Like said earlier hope you make it next year also! Hex

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Thanks for comments guys! Heading up again in September for annual "Fall Bass Attack" with two nephews from Charlotte, NC and Stepson from Boone Grove, IN.  Always a great time!!!!! ;D
Teach

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2018, 10:59 AM »
You ever fish for Walleye?

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2018, 01:15 PM »
Use to catch lots until they quit stocking in 2008. Now the Biologist gal in charge of stocking said she will not stock walleyes in Fortune Lakes because they don't due well!!!!! Don't know where she was during the years they stocked? Maybe getting her degree in, "Don't know nothing about how well they did???" But that was probably when she was in elementary school?! >:( >:(
Teach

fishcrazy

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:09 AM »
It’s quite annoying that our hard earned dollars spent on Michigan licenses are spent on mostly trout stocking and not walleye now. The lakes are cold and a lot of them close to or over 100 ft deep and lots of breeding area for walleye. I personally haven’t caught a walleye in iron county in over a decade. The last one I caught was 27inches and 12 lbs!  It’s frustrating when I purchased 4 non res x 76$ this year and failed to catch a single walleye yet again spring or last week.

fishcrazy

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Also. Its not like I’m against trout. Love them. Haven’t caught one in a “trout lake “ in many years also....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.