FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you rig your spinnerbaits?  (Read 4327 times)

gunner1

How do you rig your spinnerbaits?
« on: Jun 15, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Any suggestions for rigging spinnerbaits so that they run true in the water? I use a small coastlock snap now it is a definate improvement over just tying them on directly to the line, but they still "tilt" a little sometimes.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: How do you rig your spinerbaits?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2005, 09:52 PM »
if you are talking about saftey pin style spinnerbaits i only tie them directly.  If they tend to go one way or the other, they are most likely bent.  Line up the arm and body of the spinnerbait, making sure it is perfectly on line with the hook both from above the lure and in front of the lure.  Even a few degrees off and the spinnerbait will not run properly

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2005, 01:55 AM »
As usual, BigRed has sound advice. I tie them direct as well.
Buy only brand name spinnerbaits, like StrikeKing or Booyah and you shouldn't have many problems. That is until a pike mangles it!  ;D

gunner1

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2005, 04:14 AM »
if you are talking about saftey pin style spinnerbaits i only tie them directly.  If they tend to go one way or the other, they are most likely bent.  Line up the arm and body of the spinnerbait, making sure it is perfectly on line with the hook both from above the lure and in front of the lure.  Even a few degrees off and the spinnerbait will not run properly

I only buy Terminator spinnerbaits that have titanium arms so being bent isn't an issue. What knot do you use to tie yours?

mongo

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I tie them direct them directly and try to use name brand spinnerbaits. Terminator Titanium spinner baits are great seeing they do not get bent all out of shape when you land a nice fish. Be sure to check you line near the know for frays or knicks every so often.

Snapper

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:34 AM »
So save your self trouble  titanium baits are the only way to go, other than that tie direct and that should fix you right up.  Polamor  knots are the only way to go very little slipping with them. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2005, 12:22 PM »
if one is proficient at tuning a spinnerbait (something that comes easily) steel wire is not a big issue...I have steel wire strike king diamond king spinnerbaits that are over 10 yrs old and have caught countless numbers of bass and pike.  Besides, my fav spinnerbaits manufactured currently (those booyah 3 blade models) don't come in titanium :-\

FYI: i use an uni-knot.

phead lakeman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2005, 07:13 PM »
ive never done anything but tie them directly

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2005, 07:26 PM »
if one is proficient at tuning a spinnerbait (something that comes easily) steel wire is not a big issue...I have steel wire strike king diamond king spinnerbaits that are over 10 yrs old and have caught countless numbers of bass and pike.  Besides, my fav spinnerbaits manufactured currently (those booyah 3 blade models) don't come in titanium :-\

FYI: i use an uni-knot.
Tuning isn't hard, I have steel wire spinners, and I can always tune them, never have problems.

devil-man

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Tuning them isn't hard, but in the fall I've had some large 'gators absolutely ruin spinnerbaits beyond repair.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2005, 11:17 PM »
I just tie em directly to the line and I use hand made ones from some guy in town. They are better than any name brand I've tried but I still haven't caught a lot of fish on them yet :-\ but at least I've caught a few.

FishDaddy09

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2005, 08:58 AM »
Don't rule out the spinner baits made by your local guys or the bargain rack spinners. A little tuneing and they work fine. How many of you have tried black spinners at night? A black spinner with #5 colorado blades is one of my favorite baits after the sun goes down.

devil-man

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Oh yeah! I bought one last year.
It's a Booyah and let me tell you it's a half-ounce thumper!
It feels like you have a fish on before they even hit.
Good stuff!

8)

Polar

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Don't rule out the spinner baits made by your local guys or the bargain rack spinners. A little tuneing and they work fine. How many of you have tried black spinners at night? A black spinner with #5 colorado blades is one of my favorite baits after the sun goes down.

Try a black Jitterbug at night......HANG ON!!!

wormwigglr

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2005, 07:29 PM »
i use a palomar and i tie every lure and spinnerbait directly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.