FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: LAKE BRUCE  (Read 2778 times)

abishop

LAKE BRUCE
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Going to give it a try Tuesday for my first fishing adventure in 8 months. Seems like years. I will report what happens. Time to break out a couple of my good fishing cigars. Anyone else going???

den58

Re: LAKE BRUCE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Hey Al what you targeting the toothy critters or those 7 inch crappie?

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Last couple years all those 7 inchers grew up. I dont keep them unless they are at least 10. We will see what happens. Hope this isn't a off year. Crappie go in cycles, for 3 or 4 years the bite is non stop and then every now and then you cant get a bite. This year we have to see. Should know within the first hour.

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:08 PM »
This must be one of those years ! I have hunted for them like crazy and never caught one

Daybreak

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Huh?  I talked to a guy a couple of weeks ago and he said he has been doing OK on crappie the last few years on Bruce Lake.  This was the year I thought I would try and make the trip over and see for myself.  On new lakes I make sure I spend a fair amount of time looking for structure and schools of fish with my electronics.  They used to tell me the crappie in Patoka were all shorts too.  Indiana Slab Masters held a tournament down there and did pretty well as I remember.  Good luck Al!  Hope you find some of those good eaters!!!  Let us know what you find.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:20 PM »
I have noticed that sometimes it takes a couple weeks after ice out before they put on the feed bag. When did you go last? I assume all the ice is gone.

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Huh?  I talked to a guy a couple of weeks ago and he said he has been doing OK on crappie the last few years on Bruce Lake.  This was the year I thought I would try and make the trip over and see for myself.  On new lakes I make sure I spend a fair amount of time looking for structure and schools of fish with my electronics.  They used to tell me the crappie in Patoka were all shorts too.  Indiana Slab Masters held a tournament down there and did pretty well as I remember.  Good luck Al!  Hope you find some of those good eaters!!!  Let us know what you find.
Yes, last two years have been good. We will see what this year does. Great place to take the kids, they won't get bored.

Spooled85

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Ya the last couple years have been good for me also , but as of the first of the year it's been a non existent bite . Even talked to a few locals that live on the lake that say the same . And the last I was out was on last ice. I tried all my usual spots and also some new with nothing in return. Hoping that changes on the open water

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:33 PM »
It is really weird cause, I never caught crappie thru the ice. Only fished a few times though, but nada. gills and perch only.

abishop

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2019, 03:54 PM »
SLOW DAY, ONLY KEPT 8, CAUGHT 13. WATER TEMP WAS 45 SURFACE. THREE OTHERS OUT, DIDNT TALK TO ANY. NEED A COUPLE MORE WEEKS IMHO.

TimW

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I've been fishing Bruce for about 4 years. Mainly because it's right in the middle of my deer hunting area but none the less. We don't seem to be able to catch those larger crappies consistently. Lots of dinks but keepers are often 8" to 10" with not many going past that. There does seem to be lots of them. Gills too seem a bit smaller. Now we have seen a couple 45"ers come out of there. And had only a few bite off's by those large ones. Parking area is small & the ramp has a good angle to it. The best part for me is the 10MPH speed limit. Although some of the local "tooners" seem not to pay attention it's not nearly as bad as some lakes can get in mid summer. There are also some VERY large turtles out there. If that's your interest. Good luck to all maybe we'll see each other out on Bruce this season.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Spent weekend at stepson's cottage on Bruce Lake. Friday's wild heavy north  winds had water chocolate color. Lots of boats out Sat but didn't see anyone catching but not to say they weren't. Friend had his boat in and said water temp was 47 degrees.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Has anyone got a report from there lately? Was there a couple weeks ago but, I think it was a bit early. Should be on fire now...

charlys1954

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2019, 01:26 AM »
I almost went Thur but way to windy for me. Was gona try for perch/crappie and if they wasn't hitting I was gona Muskie fish. I was told if the DNR launch parking was full there's a owner on the lake with a launch and charges $2 to park. Is this right and if so can I get directions.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

abishop

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Directly across from the camping grounds at the point. Not sure of the directions. room for a few rigs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.