FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Truck chasers  (Read 9458 times)

Dirt23

Truck chasers
« on: Apr 25, 2019, 05:13 AM »
See a couple of guys at the local boat launch waiting with poles and crawlers for stock truck to pull out of the way to start slaying suckling trout.  Hopefully for those little trout sake they got a belly full of pellets that morning   

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Truck chasers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2019, 07:32 AM »
See a couple of guys at the local boat launch waiting with poles and crawlers for stock truck to pull out of the way to start slaying suckling trout.  Hopefully for those little trout sake they got a belly full of pellets that morning

Yeah, isn't that funny? I never understood why they don't close fishing for at least a day or two after the stocking takes place, but who am I to judge.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Essentially this is what they do in RI. The trout season is closed from the last day of February and reopens the second Saturday of April. I believe the state stocks 5 days before the season opener. However, they do stock during the open season as well and you always have guys chasing trucks. It is what it is, put and take.
Wicked Wec

TheCrittaC

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Better to be a truck chaser than an ambulance chaser

Roccus

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Essentially this is what they do in RI. The trout season is closed from the last day of February and reopens the second Saturday of April. I believe the state stocks 5 days before the season opener. However, they do stock during the open season as well and you always have guys chasing trucks. It is what it is, put and take.

Once upon a time mass did the same thing, a long time ago they did away  with closed season and opening day and dropped the bag limit to 3 fish in most waters, the quality suffered as well. . Wouldn't break my heart to go back to it...chasing the stocking truck is for lazy people that really want to fish...those white meat trout taste like crap, I'll take a holdover or native brookie any day.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2019, 10:20 AM »
those white meat trout taste like crap, I'll take a holdover or native brookie any day.

Exactly, they've been swimming in a fish tank of fish poo eating nothing but pellets... who want's to eat them? At least give them a week or so to absorb some fresh (or at least fresher) water and maybe some natural forage.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2019, 10:35 AM »
What strikes me as ironic and ridiculous is that these truck chasers will brag about all the fish they caught...Yeah, it's JUST LIKE shooting fish in a barrel.

These same lazy anglers would probably go to a hunting farm/preserve to shoot animals from a truck.

I will purposely avoid trout waters for at least a week, even though I'm not even targeting trout.

I agree, give the fish a chance to acclimate to the waters, and give them a fighting chance. Otherwise why not go to the supermarket and BUY A FISH???
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

mudchuck

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Just plain lazy & greedy

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of fly fisherman with their noses in the air on this thread..... come on guys this isn’t what we’re about. No need to put someone else down to make yourself feel better.

I don’t see anything wrong with chasing trucks whatsoever. I haven’t done it in years, and don’t intend to again, but if they’re not breaking the law they aren’t doing anything wrong. They pay for their licenses the same way we all do, and deserve to reap the benefits however they see fit.

I fished an area last year a day after the truck came through. My buddy and I picked up a few bows, and I gave one of them away to a small girl and her parents who weren’t having as much luck. She was so excited to have some fish for dinner. It made my day, and hopefully theirs too.

It’s foolish how easily we sportsman look down on our fellow sportsman for doing something that is totally legal. I know if I ever have a kid you can bet your last dollar I’ll take my kid to chase stocker trucks. That way maybe they will catch a fish before their 10 minute attention span sends them elsewhere....

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of fly fisherman with their noses in the air on this thread..... come on guys this isn’t what we’re about. No need to put someone else down to make yourself feel better.

I don’t see anything wrong with chasing trucks whatsoever. I haven’t done it in years, and don’t intend to again, but if they’re not breaking the law they aren’t doing anything wrong. They pay for their licenses the same way we all do, and deserve to reap the benefits however they see fit.

I fished an area last year a day after the truck came through. My buddy and I picked up a few bows, and I gave one of them away to a small girl and her parents who weren’t having as much luck. She was so excited to have some fish for dinner. It made my day, and hopefully theirs too.

It’s foolish how easily we sportsman look down on our fellow sportsman for doing something that is totally legal. I know if I ever have a kid you can bet your last dollar I’ll take my kid to chase stocker trucks. That way maybe they will catch a fish before their 10 minute attention span sends them elsewhere....

I agree with you Z. As I stated before, in RI the trout waters (meaning any body of water in RI that has trout in it) are closed for almost 2 months (this means you cannot fish that body of water at all, bass, panfish etc.). Its a big annual tradition in this state to head out on opening day with 45,000 freshly stocked trout. We DO NOT have options of wild trout in this state with the exception of a few brooks with native brookies, that are now going to be protected all together. We also are not chasing trucks as they are stocked days in advance. We also have almost ZERO ponds that will actually have holdovers. This is a big reason why I am a huge panfisherman during the ice season, because I enjoy a good fresh meal as well. With that said, I pay for my license and a trout stamp so I keep my fare share of trout as well because I do enjoy smoking them. As far as trout tasting like crap, one mans trash is another mans treasure I guess. I brine all of my trout and love them smoked over cherry wood. Eat them like that or even make a pate' out of them. People try it and love it. As a fisherman, I still rather go catch a trout out of a barrel than go buy one at the store and I can promise you that I am anything but lazy or an amateur. I know that trout was in a barrel eating pellets, where was that store bought trout and what was it eating and what was it injected with? And for those that do not know, trout is top dog when it comes to healthy freshwater fish with almost zero mercury and high in omega 3's. Point being is that we do not all have the same resources so people enjoy it in different ways. With all of that said, its now time to target the salt so the h**l with the trout! LOL
Wicked Wec

Johnnh

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Everyone has their rights.
The Bows aren't real aggressive after the truck ride but based on the quantity they dump a limit is fairly easy.
I have never chased the stocking truck either, but there is no rule

It comes down to the old Ford vs Chevy story

ScotNH

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2019, 06:36 PM »

Hear, hear!

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2019, 07:05 PM »
Yeah, isn't that funny? I never understood why they don't close fishing for at least a day or two after the stocking takes place, but who am I to judge.

NH does wait a week to post where they stocked, Mass posts the next day...
I also agree with “Z” on a few points,  “ we all pay” so why not take advantage...guys do so ice fishing   
And looking down on another sportsman for a legal act .?  Just because it’s something you wouldn’t do, who cares...
Fish On
There are far worse things to Pi$$ an moan about

Go “ B’s”

Dirt23

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Sorry didn't mean to sound like that I just want to catch a Whopper some day so I want some to live and grow  more than a day out of the tank

mowbizz

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Same thing different sport...traditionally, there are “hunters” that know the stocking days for pheasants in NH and arrive in the fields well before the truck arrives.
Fish and game finally made a rule that on stocking days, you cannot hunt until noon. Perhaps they should do the same for trout? Again, not illegal but...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.