FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore
The board sponsored by:

Author Topic: West Branch / Penobscott River  (Read 656 times)

SHaRPS

West Branch / Penobscott River
« on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Good morning,

Does anyone have any intel on this general area? I will be heading up here for a few days mid July and I am wondering what this general area has to offer for fishing. Any help or intel would be appreciated. Its a 7 hour ride for me so packing the right gear is essential. I am guessing trout, salmon maybe, smallmouth?

JDK

Re: West Branch / Penobscott River
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Depending on where you are going, there may be special regulations in place.

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/laws-rules/special-laws.html#p

# SAND

woodchip1

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:00 PM »
The little Eddy has always been a favorite for Trout Salmon

9huskies

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Bring a kayak and have some whitewater fun. If you're not that adventurous there are rafting companies that will bring you down the river. There's a lot of nonfishing fun on that river.

SHaRPS

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I am staying at the Big Eddy Campground right on the river which I believe is about 20 miles from the town of Milinocket. Only up there to fish for 2 full days.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2019, 01:16 PM »
I have only white water rafted . When I stayed at the big eddy campground it was a popular spot to fish. People would anchor there canoe and fly fish for salmon right there.

PK186

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2019, 04:02 PM »
I am staying at the Big Eddy Campground right on the river which I believe is about 20 miles from the town of Milinocket. Only up there to fish for 2 full days.

On the opposite side of the river from the Golden Road is good fishing at Big Eddy. Did you bring a boat or canoe?

woodchip1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Right off the west shore at little eddy Ive seen some great Salmon caught over the years.

SHaRPS

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2019, 08:01 AM »
On the opposite side of the river from the Golden Road is good fishing at Big Eddy. Did you bring a boat or canoe?

This is exactly where I will be. Opposite side of the golden road and all the way east. I am bringing some spinning gear and a 5W fly rod with floating line. Any suggestions for flies and or lures? From my understanding, salmon 16" or less have no limit on them. Maybe toss one or 2 on the fire.

blackbetty

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2019, 10:24 AM »
This is exactly where I will be. Opposite side of the golden road and all the way east. I am bringing some spinning gear and a 5W fly rod with floating line. Any suggestions for flies and or lures? From my understanding, salmon 16" or less have no limit on them. Maybe toss one or 2 on the fire.

Read the rule book first. Rules are different depending on where you are on the river.  Wardens have a strong presence there so if you are in the wrong, they will write you up. 
At the campground  (East of Telos Rd) you can use lures with only 1 hook (1 treble is OK)
1 salmon 18" or longer.
West of Telos Rd is Fly Fishing Only

PK186

« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:42 PM »

I always use a smelt imitation lure or fly. Every one in a while a big native brook trout comes out of there.

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:48 PM »
I've never fished it but i know the salmon up here usually move into the lakes by mid july. bring your bass gear. they're are lots of smallies in there. i can bring you a hr. west of there and get you some whitefish, brookies and togue.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.