FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any suggestions  (Read 1105 times)

bigr

Any suggestions
« on: Jun 15, 2019, 12:42 PM »
I'm heading down to destin florida on the 5th of july for a week. I plan on doing as much fishing as possible but not a charter. Staying right on beach in the Maramar section. Surf fishing, from what I can see from internet might be ok. Just taking my light tackle walleye type equipment. Anyone care to give up ideals, tech's or locations. Hoping for a couple fresh fish meals. Looks like Whiting, Grunts, Pompanos and maybe Spanish mackerel could be my best chance in the surf. The bay could offer reds and speckled trout if I can find a location.  PM's welcomed.   

tater140

Re: Any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2019, 01:50 PM »
There is a pier close by there.  I would take some fairly heavy bass gear and cast for Spanish Mackeral off of that pier, I think the lure I was using was called a Gotcha lure.  The Spanish are a lot of fun when they come into those piers... it can be fast action. I think it's around 7.00$/day or something like that to fish off of the pier.  You can also fish some simple minnow and hooks around the pilings and maybe come up with a sheephead.  At different times of the year they fish for Kings, Pompano, Cobia, and i'm sure lots of other fish.  When I went years ago, I hooked into a King Mackeral and had just a standard bass rod and 20# power pro.  I never stood a chance, and finally the hook finally popped out.  The fish almost had me spooled, and it felt like my reell was about to pull loose from the rod. 
If your surf fishing you can buy some cheap combos from wally world down there.  i feel like I spent around 20 bucks for a rod and reel... that way I didn't have to worry about the salt water damaging my nicer reels. Pick up a few pompano rigs, a couple of weigths, some fresh shrimp, and maybe some fishbites and you can surf fish with those.  I would think a local tackle shop can hook you up with a few basics.  it really doesn't take much tackle to get started fishing either on the surf or pier.
Good luck, let us know how you do. 

wolverine

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Did you mean Miramar in the Miami area. If so you could try to find some canals or streams that hold Oscars, they are excellent table fare and a great fight on lighter tackle. Think of a big redear on steroids. Good luck with whatever you do, it will be fun.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2019, 03:18 AM »
Miramar beach section of Destin, that's just east end of Destin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.