FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: High Water Q  (Read 1662 times)

stripernut

High Water Q
« on: Jun 18, 2019, 07:30 AM »
I was able to get out for a quick trip before the full moon came up last night and with the fresh rain, I hit the Quabbin instead of the Conn river. The water is still very high making most of "my" spots unfishable, but with like 50 mile of fishable shoreline (if you are willing to walk) I knew a few that were fishable. I show up and it is not quite dark and across the water, I can see another angler and he is wading... I know it is a pain with the high water, but that is the sort of thing that could be used against us to close it to fishing... It was too far to yell, but once he saw me he stopped wading...
My first cast was 3.5 LM that jumped a bunch of times making me think it was a smallie... So now I have to sweat the "first cast curse", that the one when you get a fish right off, you think you are going to slay the fish, but that was the only one you get... Luckily that was not the case, I did not slay them but I got a few more. The spot that I was thinking would give up the best fish did, but it was near unfishable with "stuff" in the water. Just before the bright moon came over the pines I got a nice little 3 lb smallie that I barely landed and a couple of times I had to give the fish slack so it could unhang itself from whatever stump or branches that were out there. The photo does not do it justice, about 3 lbs... One of the downsides of fishing alone.

It was a great night out with the loons, howls, and frogs going crazy with the music of the night!

westernmas

Re: High Water Q
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Sounds like a great time.  The swift below the Q is very high as well since the main lake is still spilling over the dam.  Smallies, pickerel and perch have all spilled over as well.  I sure hope they don't have much of an effect on the brookie spawn in the fall.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Sounds like a great time.  The swift below the Q is very high as well since the main lake is still spilling over the dam.  Smallies, pickerel and perch have all spilled over as well.  I sure hope they don't have much of an effect on the brookie spawn in the fall.
More salmon must of spilled over as well

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Great post Allan!

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2019, 09:36 AM »
More salmon must of spilled over as well

Different spawning times but I'd imagine a few.  Salmon spillover usually coincides with the fall spawn.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Different spawning times but I'd imagine a few.  Salmon spillover usually coincides with the fall spawn.
it does but they are close to shore in the spring chasing bait so they can get swept over too.not to mention the hundreds in there last fall there must still be a few around

manitron

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2019, 12:56 PM »

maxma

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Nice smallie! Totally agree with the part that wading in quabbin may be productive and fun but is actually harmful to our rights to shore fishing at the Q.

BTW, hope this question is not too private. Which gate do you fish? I live right next to gate 11 but seeing the trail is such a hike makes me feel reluctant to go. However the fishery looks great. I may give it a try later this summer.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Gate 11 is more of a trout gate (that whole side of the Q), that is not to say there are no bass to be had, but not in the same numbers... Also, gate 11 is not on the list of gates you can fish at night. I have hiked in and fished around gate 11 and there is very little shoreline to fish and now with the water up, you may need to fish out of a tree... Gate 16 is the closes and the one time Will and I hiked in we had little luck... That is only one data point so your results may vary.

maxma

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Gate 11 is more of a trout gate (that whole side of the Q), that is not to say there are no bass to be had, but not in the same numbers... Also, gate 11 is not on the list of gates you can fish at night. I have hiked in and fished around gate 11 and there is very little shoreline to fish and now with the water up, you may need to fish out of a tree... Gate 16 is the closes and the one time Will and I hiked in we had little luck... That is only one data point so your results may vary.

Thanks you sir. I like your words about only one data point and result may vary. Sounds like my grad school adviser a lot lol!

dumbba

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Nice fish Allan. I figured the shore lines there would be tough with all this rain. The good thing is the reservoir has filled back up:-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.