FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stripers  (Read 2136 times)

caught_the_fever

Stripers
« on: Jun 18, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Not a lot of activity on the board recently so I'm assuming that means people are likely getting into some fish.  Went out for a short while Saturday evening and landed a number of pickerel in a water we'd normally be catching bass left and right.  My father had the same experience in the Bangor area yesterday.   Seems this spring has thrown us a bit of a curve.

Anyhow, my focus has been on the salt when I've had time to fish.  Stripers seem to be willing to participate, as I've seen good action in a variety of environments.  Couple pictures though my photography skills are nowhere near what I've seen posted by others.   Had to throw one of the boy into the mix as I'm trying to groom him early - he's already got the big fish story down.....

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Stripers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Nothing the matter with those pics, Mike 8)  Thanks for sharing. Caden says the fish was this big.....

I share your sentiments on June......wierd and "off-ish".

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Looks good.  Will be up in Scarborough for the 4th.  Bringing my surf rods and will find the bass.  Can't wait its been a few years since I've chased maine stripers.  For what its worth quite a mass of stripers pushed way north into New Brunswick area already....

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Id say not much activity cause there’s not much fishing/catching. The few trips I’ve managed this spring started great, then things got kinda off with the unstable weather. Though I only do fresh water, but I hear the salt action has been nice, just have to find them.
Nice that you got out and into some decent fishing though!
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fish wayniac

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I hear you on not much posting . I still have fished at least 1 day a week but not worth posting when I only catch 2 fish.
I’m also switching to the saltwater. I got out once from shore for only 1 hour in the rain. I like to live line bait for Stripers. On my second cast  I had 4 pollack on a sabiki jig but one fell off. No takers using one of them so I kept jigging and caught a big Mackerel. I put it out and no Stripers liked that. I plan on putting some time in this weekend.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2019, 04:32 AM »
This cool weather has made the striper fishing erratic. One day you catch a dozen and a half, the next day four or five.

I've yet to catch a legal fish, everything seems to be about two feet or less. A lot of bait in my area and haven't seen pogies yet.

Headed out again now.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

caught_the_fever

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Thanks Jim, not the journey you kindly take us on but what I had at the time.   

Nice to know the mackerel are running.  I've not fished much spinning gear, sticking with the fly rod so likely not tossing anything that would catch their interest.

Was fully intent on introducing Caden to his first striper the other day after a solid evening the day before, no luck.  A former work colleague had his grandson visiting from New Mexico and I was pleased that I was able to get them both hooked up, one just shy of 28".   I've had a few that were that length but most just solid schoolies.

I hear you seamonkey - hit a few ponds where the bass catch would be solid, only landed one small bass.  Caught mostly pickerel, pumpkinseeds and sunfish. 

Well, good luck to those getting out there; perhaps things will return to normal with a stretch of decent weather.

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2019, 04:42 AM »
Good post. Thanks for sharing your pics.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Don't let the colder temps fool you.  Ive caught them past 40" in 39 degree water.  If the Mackerel are around then they will be close by.  Even up there Id be sticking to fishing at night solely and probably would be throwing live eels almost exclusively.  Outgoing tide near any sort of river or tidal marsh exit point would be my go to's. 

Ive seen reports of keepers up in NB so I don't doubt for a second that there should be some around.

Good luck!  I can't wait to get up there!

joefishmore

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Stripers in Canada live there year round I believe

woodchip1

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Not the ones I catch!!!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2019, 11:48 AM »
must've been fun on the fly.  what weight rod do you use?

caught_the_fever

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2019, 07:19 PM »
must've been fun on the fly.  what weight rod do you use?

I use a 9 weight as I'm not very proficient with the fly rod against larger fish.  I have no issue going light tackle with spinning gear, in fact, prefer it but still improving my fighting method with the fly rod.  Nonetheless, the fish I've caught still put up a great battle.  Once I get there, I have a 7 weight Silver Ghost from Bean's that I may try; just crossing my fingers I don't get into the cows when I do.

There are a few other areas where I could get into bigger fish as mentioned but I'm quite content with my spot - have had luck on both sides of the tide and it enables me to spend a bulk of my time fishing rather than driving an hour each way, which is key with the little one . 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.