FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: the salmon crash  (Read 699 times)

fishogger

the salmon crash
« on: Jun 26, 2019, 03:38 AM »
what is the news on the alewives?  is the population bouncing back so we can have good salmon numbers again? I don't see much talk about it.

Teacherpreacher

Re: the salmon crash
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2019, 06:25 AM »
Guys that work with my stepson going out of ditch 2-5 miles and getting all three, Kings, Coho and Steelhead.
I was really surprised at the size, 25 lb Kings.
I don't fish the big lake anymore but first I've heard of big Kings in Indiana waters for some time.
If I hear anymore I'll post after I get back from UP.
Teach

MC_angler

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2019, 10:59 AM »
prey fish populations are up moderately lakewide as a result of the stocking cuts to salmon over the past few years.  Alewife are still showing age "truncation" - only living to 3 or 4 years, rather than the 7 or 8 year max that was seen a decade ago. Indicative of high predation pressure still

That being said, the salmon catch rate in Indiana the last 2 years has been the highest seen in almost 2 decades, so the fishing has been very good and the lake seems to be in much better balance

fishogger

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2019, 03:35 PM »
sounds a little promising at least MC.  hoping for the return of the salmon runs.

we used to go up every year and cash in on the fall runs.   that trip hasn't happened in several years now.  I miss the fun and the fillets we used to have.  im sure the tackle shops are missing the business too.  they have to be getting hit pretty hard with no anglers flocking to their shops in fall.  not to mention all the other local businesses.

Spooled85

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2019, 06:05 PM »
 For the last 20+ years the salmon and trout have done the same thing every spring ,summer and fall .  I know guys who have Ben running charters and and taking 30 plus fish in a three hour time span . And from the end of duck season till early spring the creek mouths are full of coho and steelies along with quite a few Brown and Lakers in close . Jsut gotta get after it . And as MC angler said , the kings have Ben showing bigger size this yr also . I know a couple guys who have got some 30+ pounders this yr !

fishogger

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2019, 05:24 AM »
yes in summer all the stockers from all the streams in all the states congregate out in the lake.   come fall the numbers that go back to their stocking stream are very low.  numbers don't lie they are very low and they will be until the alewives bounce back. if they do.

Spooled85

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Almost steel head the we catch now I packed full of alewives in a lot of the perch have small alewives in them , I've pulled as much as 9 out of a steel head

fishogger

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I think your implying that I saying they are extinct.  not at all.  the numbers are low supposedly because of a  lack of nutrients in the lake.  which is blamed on an invasive mussel. therefore the lake cant support a huge amount of kings.  this has happened in the past but not his bad I don't think.   it mite not recover this time they are saying!

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2019, 05:55 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.