FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: trout time  (Read 432 times)

fishogger

trout time
« on: Jul 05, 2019, 06:22 PM »
anyone still left on here chasing trout?  I haven't tormented them all season.  just starting to think about the night fishing for them.

taxid

Re: trout time
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Anglers have been hitting them for couple of months now on Oliver. Got a call on a 24 or 25 inch rainbow from Oliver 3 weeks ago. I gave him a price and haven't heard from him since. Said most of the rainbows were only 9 to 10 inches. He thought they were also catching brook trout because they had red spots. Brown trout of course.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Trolled across Oliver last week. Caught a 13" rainbow and a smallmouth. On the way back had a big hit on my tod with too little line, got spooled and broke off. Didn't spend much time at it as the kiddos were itching to swim. Should be a decent number of solid holdover fish and plenty of this spring's stockers to keep one busy.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:29 AM »
"Tod?"  I'm guessing you meant rod but in case I'm missing something...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:40 AM »
if I go ill report. thanks for the reply.

24" is a great smoker!  last few years a 20 has been the big ones in the cooler.   I don't target those hogs specifically. say with bigger lures or running bottom though.  I just take what comes. lol  I try to treat them gentile and release the runts but they make it hard with their energy ya know.  lol

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:50 AM »
if I go ill report. thanks for the reply.

24" is a great smoker!  last few years a 20 has been the big ones in the cooler. I don't target those hogs specifically. say with bigger lures or running bottom though.  I just take what comes. lol  I try to treat them gentile and release the runts but they make it hard with their energy ya know.  lol

Ah but the good old days on Clear Lake east of Fremont where 20 inches was really common and a 24 inch wasn't rare either! I caught my biggest rainbow up there at 7 lbs. And of course the state record came out of that lake of 18 lb. 8 oz. I still say if the INDNR thinks the water quality is mariginal for trout, that's where they should be planting brown trout. I noticed that's what Maine does in their marginal lakes and it's quite successful. Here's an exerpt from one of their surveys of a pond called Flying Pond.

Water quality is only marginally suited for cold water species management, since an oxygen deficiency
exists in the deepest portions of the lake. Past stockings of salmon and lake trout were not successful in producing a quality fishery. The department stocks brown trout annually and this has resulted in a good fishery.

That's said maybe there is pressure not to plant trout in there by walleye anglers or some other group like lake residents? Truthfully I've never thought the walleye fishery in that lake was anything to write home about.

staubsaugen

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Yes rod, not tod😁. The problem with writing on the phone.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Yes rod, not tod😁. The problem with writing on the phone.

I have enough issues on a regular computer. Autocorrect drives me crazy!

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2019, 12:07 PM »
ill have to dig up some old clear llake trout pics. and start a thread.   it was a good 30+yr run while it lasted.  I never fished for eyes there but we caught some under lights with the trout.  the brown stocking is for sure a great idea.   

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2019, 12:31 PM »
I have a few to share too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.