FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing lakes for brookies  (Read 3448 times)

nhbassman

Fishing lakes for brookies
« on: Jul 20, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Looking for suggestions on catching brookies out of a lake. Going camping with wife and kiddo on a lake (white lake in tamworth) that stocks brookies and to much of a bass guy to know the best methods of catching trout. I prettty much know nothing about what lures to use and troll with or what live bait, got all spinning gear and no fly gear all tricks and tips would be greatly appreciated!!

bikrsrule

Re: Fishing lakes for brookies
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2019, 04:00 PM »
At this time of the year the biggest issue is getting your bait to the fish, if trolling you will need a fishfinder  and once you find the depth they are holding at you will need to troll past them at that depth, ie: lead line or downrigger. As far as what to present to them I cant really help with that,I have been doing alot of experimenting myself without much luck, the tough part like I said is getting the presentation at the proper depth..

Johnnh

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2019, 04:21 PM »
Try small spinners like blue fox or mepps. Size 2 or 0. Troll very slow and use 4lb test or lighter.

You can also get them by using dillies or Berkley power bait nuggets.
I prefer size 14 hooks, about a 2 to 3 foot leader, small barrel swivel and a non lead egg or slip sinker. Put the sinker on the main line above the swivel.

Enjoy
John

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Not a big lake. Put a #8 or #10 hook on with a small weight and fish power bait and worms. Get out early before the suns comes up too high or go later when it drops. Just move around and find the schools don't sit in one spot too long once you find them you should get a few.

nhbassman

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:31 PM »
At this time of the year the biggest issue is getting your bait to the fish, if trolling you will need a fishfinder  and once you find the depth they are holding at you will need to troll past them at that depth, ie: lead line or downrigger. As far as what to present to them I cant really help with that,I have been doing alot of experimenting myself without much luck, the tough part like I said is getting the presentation at the proper depth..

Thanks for the advice and i also wont be going until the 2nd weekend in September.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2019, 07:50 PM »
In some lakes I've noticed brookies are more bottom oriented than other trouts species. Used to catch them right on the bottom with a nitecrawler and slip sinker.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2019, 09:58 PM »
With the aid of a fish finder, trolling near the bottom where the thermal layer is tends to work. Otherwise slip bobber rigs work great if you don’t want to troll. Say the thermal layer is 15’ down, fish in 15-20 ft of water. Especially near a flat weedy area or a shelf. Though One time I caught a brookie trolling in the middle of a lake near a hump, we were after lake trout at the time.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

bikrsrule

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2019, 05:24 AM »
I have been trolling a couple of lakes for brookies and rainbows and although I see them on the fishfinder and I think I am down where they are with my lead line rigs I am not having much luck. What lures/rigs work best for you trollers out there?

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2019, 10:21 AM »
should be able to find an old penn 209 on ebay for cheap, alot of times theres even leadcore on it. use it on your spinning rod and make sure to modify/ check that the reel seat fits the rod.  pick up some small streamer flies  hornburgs, mickey finns, ghost patterns, wooleybuggers all work for brookies. leadcore is colored, about 5 feet deep per color for trolling.  gets some roostertail spinners, brown, black, and red for casting, your bass rods are probably to heavey for this so pick up a cheap ultralight if you dont have one.   would probably have some copper daredevils and some slip bobbers and shiners for the pickerel in there

nhbassman

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2019, 08:28 PM »
should be able to find an old penn 209 on ebay for cheap, alot of times theres even leadcore on it. use it on your spinning rod and make sure to modify/ check that the reel seat fits the rod.  pick up some small streamer flies  hornburgs, mickey finns, ghost patterns, wooleybuggers all work for brookies. leadcore is colored, about 5 feet deep per color for trolling.  gets some roostertail spinners, brown, black, and red for casting, your bass rods are probably to heavey for this so pick up a cheap ultralight if you dont have one.   would probably have some copper daredevils and some slip bobbers and shiners for the pickerel in there
Thanks for the great advice, I was surprised to see pickerel in there.. If it can support pickerel why not smallies?

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:30 AM »
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I've fished White Lake before a bunch. Small stock pond. Chartreuse powerbait on a tiny hook and a small sinker or two about 2 feet up worked very well for me.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2019, 01:35 PM »
You could do it this way.  Interesting to listen to if you have the time.

https://youtu.be/cj8kV2P9RvQ

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Iowaaccord that's cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Iowaaccord that's cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

No problem.  I haven't done it yet but Id like to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.