FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: tip wrap  (Read 818 times)

fishogger

tip wrap
« on: Aug 09, 2019, 04:34 PM »
no not that. lol  im talking about my main beef with braid.  get all in a rush to cast back to that school and wt_ , g-d**n  tip wrap again.  is there a cure for this somehow?  I know it has cost me fish at times.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: tip wrap
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2019, 11:26 AM »
no not that. lol  im talking about my main beef with braid.  get all in a rush to cast back to that school and wt_ , g-d**n  tip wrap again.  is there a cure for this somehow?  I know it has cost me fish at times.

From someone that fishes almost exclusively braid, No. LOL Take that extra second to look at the tip before each cast and it will actually result in more casts in a given span of time. Actually, you can also use a longer leader of mono or flouro so that your braid is not at the tip when you are casting. problem solved.
Wicked Wec

slipperybob

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:38 AM »
Give up on all straight braid and take time to learn to tie on a top shot...aka long leader of mono or flourocarbon line.

Always take that extra ounce of prevention for that pound of headache.

I've only lost one lure only, but it was a crowded fishing spot and windy that day.  Some people, well most people are lousy with casting and they're all over the place.  Crossed lines crossed over lanes of casting.  Braid is very bad with tangles.  I hesitated or rather pulled back on my cast due to other people and on my next cast, braid was wrapped on tip and poof lure goes flying into the yonder wet bottom.

With mono or flouro, it's less likely to tip wrap...but at times one must deal with line coils or line stretch.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

ezturn

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:18 AM »
I have had the same problem when tying a leader direct to braid . Now I use a small Spro swivel problem solved.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2019, 07:24 AM »
One tip Id recommend is avoid using a knot to connect braid and Flouro.  The Flouro folds like paper and weakens where the fold is (alberto, albright knots specifically)  Ive had some disappointing knot failures when big stripers have ripped the braid right through 60# flouro.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Many of the rules for knots, that work good on smaller # line, go out the window when you step up in line sizes like 60lbs.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2019, 08:18 AM »
That's for sure. Improved albright is what I use and it works great for braid to flouro. Never had a failure but I'm not dealing with 60# flouro.

fishogger

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2019, 10:22 AM »
guess ill deal with it as have been. bi_ch n cus. lol  im not a big fan of braid to mono knots.  I use swivel for that.  the stuff is so strong it gets worn and lip, instead of broken off.  then it gets worse I think.  have to start cutting a bit off maybe.

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2019, 10:23 AM »
and the suggestions are appreciated all.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2019, 11:06 AM »
I belong to a few rod building forums.
I posed the question to the masses.
I'm hoping they might be able to point me to a specific tip top style that reduces this problem.
Swapping a tip top is very inexpensive.

I'll let you know what they come back with.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2019, 12:11 PM »
First response -

"Itís not totally visible, but braid has texture, as opposed to mono. It grabs. When someone asks me to build them a rod, I always ask what line they intend to use...and adjust my guide sizes accordingly. If braid is their choice, then I make sure to use a tip top one size larger than Iíd normally use. All the fancy guides in the world canít make up for a choke point and friction. A tip top will succumb to that if a builder went a size smaller than the running guides."

Johnnh

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Mac,

Question for you regarding mono.

I fished tournament trails in New England for years and used stren sensor for a long time and heated it up in warm water to reduce memory. That line was excellent and you could probably tow a boat with it.

When sensor went away, I switched to braid and used mono backer and in an effort to help reduce rod tip issues, i use mono leaders tied with uni knots.

Are there rod tips that work better with braid and would that eliminate mono leaders?
Most of my bass rods are St Croix, Shimono and Loomis.

John

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2019, 04:44 PM »
2nd response -

Fuji wrap on tips work the best to combat that issue

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Mac,

Are there rod tips that work better with braid and would that eliminate mono leaders?
Most of my bass rods are St Croix, Shimono and Loomis.

John

Thatís what Iím asking the rod tying groups I belong to.  Iím a relative newbie to rod making.

I use floro for my leaders on my braid on my few casting rods.  So I suppose my solution to this problem is to tie on a leader.  A leader of mono or floro.

Very good thread.

Johnnh

« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Thanks Mac
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.