FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: tip wrap  (Read 879 times)

Mac Attack

Re: tip wrap
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Another comment -

“Arowana tiptops by Fugi has performed well on 10'6+ rods using thin 20# and 30# braid for me over anything.“

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Speaking of using a fluorocarbon leader... on vacation recently I filled up the spinning reel spool with fluorocarbon. Maybe it was the way I put it on the reel, but I never had so many twists and tangles in my life. And  I was just casting! Is that typical?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2019, 07:58 AM »
Speaking of using a fluorocarbon leader... on vacation recently I filled up the spinning reel spool with fluorocarbon. Maybe it was the way I put it on the reel, but I never had so many twists and tangles in my life. And  I was just casting! Is that typical?

How did you spool it?
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Like I always do: laid the spool on the floor and allowed it to uncoil as I reeled it into reel. Never had issues like this with other lines. It was horrible!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Like I always do: laid the spool on the floor and allowed it to uncoil as I reeled int into reel. Never had issues like this with other lines. It was horrible!

I am wondering what you were casting and how you were retrieving it. Stop and go retrieve will definitely make your line twist. I also wonder what type of flouro you spooled up with. One line I will never buy again is the basspro flouro. Terrible. Either way, drag a bunch of line behind your kayak the next time you are out so it can untwist. Conditioning your line will also help big time.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Thanks. I got it at Walmart so...

Was fishing at night casting a jitterbug.

jeffmac85

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Spinning reels when casted create line twist.    I have the same problem casting my centerpin setup because I side cast.   Not a lot you can do to combat the tip wrap when the line twists with every cast.   Try using fuji K frame guides the shape of the guide helps to allow the line to fall off of the guide if it becomes wrapped but even they are not an ultimate solution.  If you use a spinning reel the only true fix is to check to make sure you aren't wrapped up before each cast, that or learn to cast a bait caster.   These reels feed line straight in and out without twisting like a spinning reel, similar to a Wallis or pull cast with a float reel

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08:37 AM »

fishogger

« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2019, 01:55 PM »
I have actually done that with bait casters. lol
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2019, 09:07 PM »
I have actually done that with bait casters. lol

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2019, 01:10 PM »

Joking aside...that is how the manufacturer rolls the line on the spool and its how you should fill your spool.  If you lay the spool flat and fill your spool you are twisting the line up a lot.  Youll probably notice once you're half way through filling that the line tries to loop up before making it onto your spool.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Sep 05, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Jon you are spot on. I never understood the "lay it flat" approach. I guess some people see it as coming off the spool in a circle and think that's how it should get back onto the reel. The other problem with that theory is the spool is larger than the reel (in most circumstances). This alone means that you will never get a 1:1 ratio of it laying on the spool the same uniform way. Maybe I am wrong, but I always spool my line as in the picture above without issues. The types of lures you are tossing will also create line twist, as will reeling while a fish is taking line. If this happens, condition your line with a full spool and also again after casting.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Sep 05, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. I will do it the right way from now on. Unfortunately my present crocks don't have those handy holes. I knew I should't have pitched my last once the thread wore down!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Here's one that I've experienced (with cheap, crappy braids)...the braid would literally knot itself around the first guide while I was casting.
There was no noticeable slack, like when you are "pitching" a lure, I was making a distance cast with a rubber paddle-tail worm (which weighs a little more than a ribbon-tail worm). The tangle/knot occurs within the first 10-15 feet of line, in some cases causing the worm to tear and in one case snapping the line (cheap braid, what did I expect?).

Between the "mystery" knot and consistent mysterious "wind-knots", the 2 lines I used didn't last I day before I re-spooled and tossed the old line in the trash. I will NEVER buy these braids, and probably ANY line at all from these two companies.
(BassPro and MUSTAD braids)

I was fortunate enough to have some of my favorite braid so this hasn't happened again.
Why did I change line? I wanted to "give them a shot" and see how they handled.

They both failed miserably!

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

fishogger

« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2019, 04:00 AM »
it good to have this tip wrap support group.   :laugh:

thanks for the suggestions all.  had a good one couple days ago.  it tightened up and took me 3-4min. to pick it out.  >:( of Corse it was in middle of a frenzy.  thankfully most just take a shake to release.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.