FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Biggest Brown Trout of this cycle  (Read 2398 times)

taxid

Re: Biggest Brown Trout of this cycle
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:26 AM »
so why couldn't you catch our planters and strip/milk them?  using eggs isn't the same as selling caught fish is it?  im sure it would be a timing nightmare too though.  or maybe they don't mature enough?

Oh sure you could. It might be frowned upon but probably legal. I would be worried about introducing potential disease though. Although the dreaded VHS has not been found in Indiana waters that I know of, it could show up somewhere especially if some idiot dumps in smelt or some other fish captured in the Great Lakes into say the Oliver Lake chain. Then one could potentially bring back a carrier showing no clinical signs to his hatchery.

I've afraid we could end up with VHS some day if an angler takes it upon himself to transfer smelt into the Oliver Lake chain again. That's why I've advocated a reintroduction from a disease free source in Maine. Twice smelt were illegally introduced in the past.

Timing on spawning wouldn't be an issue. You hold the in a tank or net pen until they are ripe. At some point in the spawning phase the males are ready to go any time and can recharge too. You can also inject them with a hormone to syncronize the eggs and milt taking.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Well talking about crossing... Brown trout and Atlantic salmon can make hybrids hehe.

It could work but what would be the point if they already look a lot alike? I've seen some sea run browns that look almost identical to Atlantics.

Additionally their already is a dilution of salmon stocks in parts of New Foundland due to the introduction of brown trout.  Not a good idea to screw up native stocks that have adapted to the local conditions over thousands of years.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Atlantic-salmon-Atlantic-salmon-x-brown-trout-hybrids-and-brown-trout-photographs-Note_fig2_234839037
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:46 PM »
It could work but what would be the point if they already look a lot alike? I've seen some sea run browns that look almost identical to Atlantics.

Additionally their already is a dilution of salmon stocks in parts of New Foundland due to the introduction of brown trout.  Not a good idea to screw up native stocks that have adapted to the local conditions over thousands of years.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Atlantic-salmon-Atlantic-salmon-x-brown-trout-hybrids-and-brown-trout-photographs-Note_fig2_234839037
The only reason I thought it would be neat is the hybrid vigor it could result in.
Yea, they can and do hybridize in the wild, and hybrids have been found when doing tissue samples of salmon in Europe. and they keep trying to get a sea run brown fishery going in Maine.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2019, 07:05 PM »
The only reason I thought it would be neat is the hybrid vigor it could result in.
Yea, they can and do hybridize in the wild, and hybrids have been found when doing tissue samples of salmon in Europe. and they keep trying to get a sea run brown fishery going in Maine.

Yep!

Have they ever tried to introduce salter brook trout up there? I know Mass used to have them naturally.

seamonkey84

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:27 PM »
We have natural salters too, but not in big numbers or are just very hard to target due to how much they move.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2019, 08:22 PM »
We have natural salters too, but not in big numbers or are just very hard to target due to how much they move.

Cool!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.