FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: cut yer teeth on um  (Read 1199 times)

fishogger

cut yer teeth on um
« on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:02 AM »
the carp bait thread made me think back.  how many of you were started off your "big game" fishing with carp fishing? 

some of my favorite childhood fishing memories were battles with big carp.  I was immersed into fishing by both my grandfathers.  my one grandpa camped on the river about every weekend after retirement.  in summer id spend lots of time getting muddy there.  I was just the rite age and experience to cash in on their knowledge. the little Miami river ohio, had tons of carp in it.  he set me up with a flyrod n spinning reel outfit.  he drove poles in the ground for sturdy rod holder and unleashed a carp eradicating machine. lol  I would literally fill a garbage can with them in a day.  he would set back in the shade, drink Michelob beer and laugh at the antics of me and my cousin.  few polaroid's still survive, but my mind still holds some files. I still have the rod n reel also to help recall at times.

I have lots of respect for carp.  I also did the same as my grandfather, with my son and his cousins.  got pics and video thanks to technology to help me retained those times in life.  I knew the joy it must have brought him back "in the day" at those times.  good times enhanced by the carp.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

rivereddy

Re: cut yer teeth on um
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2020, 07:17 AM »
My first "5 pounder" of any fish was a big carp that hit a back yard night crawler while I was fishing for cats in the local river.  The drag on my Zebco Spinner 33 didn't know what hit it and screeched like a coffee grinder., but I managed to beach the fish.  Many years later on a  January steelhead charter on the St Joe river a big carp engulfed a hot&tot right by the side of the boat.  I was not the next man up in the rotation, but the guy who was wanted nothing to do with it. Cap'n said, " Who wants it", and I stood up.  The first run lasted a good 40 yards.  No jumps of course, but that fish out pulled, outfought, and took longer to land than any salmonid caught that day.  ...

fish on,

Rivereddy

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2020, 09:15 AM »

We use to use carp for practice before the salmon run , all released

ronco

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2020, 11:50 AM »
the carp bait thread made me think back.  how many of you were started off your "big game" fishing with carp fishing? 

some of my favorite childhood fishing memories were battles with big carp.  I was immersed into fishing by both my grandfathers.  my one grandpa camped on the river about every weekend after retirement.  in summer id spend lots of time getting muddy there.  I was just the rite age and experience to cash in on their knowledge. the little Miami river ohio, had tons of carp in it.  he set me up with a flyrod n spinning reel outfit.  he drove poles in the ground for sturdy rod holder and unleashed a carp eradicating machine. lol  I would literally fill a garbage can with them in a day.  he would set back in the shade, drink Michelob beer and laugh at the antics of me and my cousin.  few polaroid's still survive, but my mind still holds some files. I still have the rod n reel also to help recall at times.

I have lots of respect for carp.  I also did the same as my grandfather, with my son and his cousins.  got pics and video thanks to technology to help me retained those times in life.  I knew the joy it must have brought him back "in the day" at those times.  good times enhanced by the carp.

Thank God for Grandpa's  ;D
The secret to fishing......is fish where the fish are

slipperybob

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2020, 02:12 AM »
When I was still little...I caught a fish so big, it literally started to drag me down the river bank.  It didn't help that the round rocks were lousy for foot hold at the spot I was at.  My uncle came to save me...Um no he didn't.  He came to take the rod away from me.  What did he do?  He tried to horse the fish and the line snapped.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

chilly feet

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2020, 05:40 AM »
I remember my first carp very vividly! I was young and fishing from the bank with my dad. Just regular old nightwalkers. I got snagged and was all huffy puffy. My dad said instead of breaking the line and having to retie, just let it sit you never know. (I think he needed a break from retying my line every 10 min) Well low and behold, my line took off. I remember fighting that thing for what felt like forever. I eventually gave the rod to dad and he finished the fight. Cant remember exactly how big it was but for a young fisherman it was the biggest fish ever.
Thanks Dad for taking me fishin!

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2020, 05:47 AM »
Thank God for Grandpa's  ;D
Absolutely 🎣

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Used to make bait out of crushed Wheaties and vanilla extract and catch carp at Sylvan Lake for fun with ultra light rods.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.