FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson Brook and North Hoosic  (Read 1153 times)

bogtrotter

Hudson Brook and North Hoosic
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Hope you all had a top notch Memorial Day.

After a road trip to place flowers on the family cemetery plots, and a side trip to pick up some Greek food (from Filos restaurant in Northampton) and Indian samosas (from Sangar's General Store in Windsor) for lunch,  I managed to squeeze in a few hours of fishing in North Adams late this afternoon.

Partly to mostly sunny, and about 70 degrees.  Stream levels not bad, but kinda low for this time of year.

I started on Hudson Brook in the Natural Marble Bridge State Park, and landed a 10" brown just below the chasm.

Then I worked my way downstream on the North Hoosic, from the NMB State Park, behind the Beaver Mill parking lot, then below the roll dam, past Old Glory Rock and down below the Eclipse Mill dam.

I didn't have any action until I reached the EM dam, where I reeled in an 11" rainbow immediately below the dam - - which I believe to be the first fish I've caught on the North Hoosic since last November - - and lost another fish just a little ways downstream from there.

westernmas

Re: Hudson Brook and North Hoosic
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Jim, I was up that way on Saturday.  My girlfriend and I had been eyeing up a BBQ place called A-OK BBQ up in North Adams and brought the fly gear along for the ride.  The food was delicious and highly recommended.  We fished a few different runs with the most promising looking spot a canoe portage near a bridge, the exact street name eludes me.  The only place we landed fish was at the Beaver Mill parking lot (I believe).  However, there was a decaying deer carcass we failed to notice until the stench pushed us out of the spot.  We landed two small bows before the smell overwhelmed us.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Jim, I was up that way on Saturday.  My girlfriend and I had been eyeing up a BBQ place called A-OK BBQ up in North Adams and brought the fly gear along for the ride.  The food was delicious and highly recommended.  We fished a few different runs with the most promising looking spot a canoe portage near a bridge, the exact street name eludes me.  The only place we landed fish was at the Beaver Mill parking lot (I believe).  However, there was a decaying deer carcass we failed to notice until the stench pushed us out of the spot.  We landed two small bows before the smell overwhelmed us.

Yes, A-OK is an excellent BBQ joint, located in the Mass MoCA complex where I usually work. 

(Right now, due to Covid, my office is having a lot of us work remotely from home or satellite locations).

From your description, I suspect you were fishing the Main Branch of the Hoosic (which runs along Route 2 from the Mass MoCA complex and west into Williamstown before it then doglegs to the north into Pownal, VT before eventually turning west again and flowing into the Hudson River in NY) - - in which case the canoe portage would have been by the Ashton Avenue bridge.

I'm glad you caught some fish - - although it's too bad about the deer carcass - - which I did not run across, and so that's part of the reason I believe you were on the Main rather than the North Branch. 

There's some bigger fish on the Main Branch, but overall it's harder to wade/fish.

To get to the North Branch from the center of North Adams, you would take Route 2 east and then hook a left onto Route 8/Beaver Street toward Stamford/Readsboro, VT.  The North Branch runs along the left side of the road - - at least for the initial stretch.

If you see a cliff with an American flag flying from it (that's Old Glory Rock), you know you're headed in the right direction. 

A little past that is the Beaver Mill condominium and then the entrance to the Natural Marble Bridge State Park.

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:58 AM »
Yes, the ashton street bridge is where we started out and you are exactly correct, we followed it up into VT but access seemed limited so we ended up going back on route 2 and taking that left onto beaver street.  We parked across the street from the Natural Marble Bridge State Park, which was LOADED with hikers, so I think we are talking about the same stretch.  Its a bit of a ride for me but I'm sure I'll be back.  I really liked the area of the ashton street bridge and upstream.  It looked very promising.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Pat I had a great time fishing up that way with Jim around this time last year.  We smashed them pretty good too!  Perhaps we get a trip together between the three of us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.