FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: May.....Variety and Successful Pond Patterning  (Read 2044 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
May.....Variety and Successful Pond Patterning
« on: May 31, 2020, 07:02 PM »
With everything from snow to 90* temperatures, May sure had a variety of weather.  The fishing was just as diverse.

The small stream brookie fishing took off when these guys showed up.

Some spots were close to home, while others were farther afield.  One day, I decided to hit an area where I hadn't been in nearly 25 years.  It hadn't changed all that much.  Any new posted signs were offset by new options for legitimate access.  Native brookies were the chosen species, with the goal to catch them in as many different waters as I could in the 5 or so hours I had. A bit of a white knuckle tour!   I ended up catching natives in 5 out of the 6 brooks I was able to get to. 

The character of the waters varied widely, but they were all small, maybe 8 feet wide at most. 

The smallest brook was less that 3 feet wide, but there were a few undercuts that held fish.

I almost went 6 for 6 on the brooks I tried, but the closest I got on the final spot was a couple of looks. Maybe this was some sort of omen.

I've fished the ponds 3 times since ice out, catching fish on 2 of the trips once the water warmed up a bit. 

When everyone else has jumped the gun with mowin' and rakin',
It's time to keep your head on straight and do some splakin'   ;)

The splake bite was by no means fast and furious and the fish weren't colored up like in fall, but they were a decent size class.

As mentioned,  the splake bite was a bit picky.   Chucking and retrieving normally effective spoons and spinners was a zero game.  I found the fish suspended about 5 feet down, which held true at shoreline drops or at offshore islands and humps (if I could reach those with a cast).  The best way to work this depth layer from shore was with jigs suspended under a bobber or a flyrod at the inshore drop. Real nice pattern.  ;D  Three items on the lid of my box caught most of the fish, with the fly being a Crazy Charlie bonefish fly.

I did a little tidewater fishing for a change of pace.  Alewives were stacked up in certain holding water and below barriers.  They'd hit small streamers, but retrieves also foul-hooked fish. That's how thick they were. The answer was to suspend a small beadhead under a strike indicator and dead drift it.  Big time fun on a 5-weight.  In water with fewer fish or further out, traditonal shad darts got attention.

I did a bit of warm water fishing as well.  The primary target was smallies, and I got some quality fish in flowing water.   Some crappie, too.  They seem to be showing up in more and more places!

Cold water fishing was tough in bigger flowing water with high flows and lagging temps.  Hard to wade around freely in this.

Later in the month, we had a mini heat wave that bumped the water temps in many places.  Some of my favorite flyfishing is using dries for browns after they have about a month to spread away from stocking points to smaller water or tribs higher up in drainages.  It's a blast to have even a small brown (with a few brookies in the mix) shoot out from under a tree or undercut bank to nail a dry 8)

On to June.  It's been dry.  Many rivers and streams are currently are only about 50% of their long-term average flow.  Low water tends to heat up faster.  I spot-checked a spot this morning and found a 69* water temp.  A number like that hasn't  historically been hit until late June.  The nice cool spell we're in now should help, but water is needed,

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
Re: May.....Variety and Successful Pond Patterning
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Awesome report Jim!! Good variety
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:49 PM »
great pics/fish, love the splake! so cool.   & good to know you're starting to have success with dries.  Awesome smallmouth too, good size for any time of year but especially May, that mustve been fun.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2020, 07:31 AM »
I always look forward to your monthly reports Jim. Very impressive as always. Good mix of fish.

woodchip1

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Yes Keep the photos coming. Colts foot yellow blooms- Purple Trillium- The Skeleton  with a lot missing its hard to Identify  . Riding around up north its nice to see seasonal plants blooming. Cameras and fishing rods great tools to have handy.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Thanks. I was wondering about that skeleton, but like you say hard to tell.

Yes Keep the photos coming. Colts foot yellow blooms- Purple Trillium- The Skeleton  with a lot missing its hard to Identify  . Riding around up north its nice to see seasonal plants blooming. Cameras and fishing rods great tools to have handy.

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Great post, report and pics, as always, Jim.  Love to see 'em.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Great job Jim.  Always look for your posts... :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fish wayniac

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Jim, You caught a good variety of fish. Great post!

Stickbait

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Another great report!! Love the variety. I’ll bet the sawbellies were a blast on the flyeod!

Keep at it!!

zwiggles

« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2020, 09:19 PM »
Thanks as always for the colorful report!

I also mirror your thoughts on the rain..... NH sea coast is looking way too dry, and the few trips I’ve had up north to the mountains of NH I was also really surprised at the flows /temps.

The mods here need to add a “rain dance” emoji, or something to the effect, I know a few of us are praying for it.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #11 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:36 AM »
I always enjoy being rewarded with an excellent read when I drop in early each month!   Another stellar report, thanks for sharing.  Those smallmouths had to have been a blast on the fly rod.

Great looking splake - that is one species I've not had on the end of my line.   How was the fight?   They appear as though they likely put a good bend in your rod.

Regarding temps and water - I could not believe how low a stream was for late May in my childhood stomping grounds.  I had the intention of feeding my need to cast the fly rod for warm water species while there but called it good after just a couple casts.  Had intended to try a few more spots that should have been deeper but just turned around upon arrival.   

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Great post Jim thanks for sharing.

JDK

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Very nice Jim

Your reports are about the only ones I read on here now.  Always enlightening and entertaining.

# SAND

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Thank you for sharing!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.