FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: My 2020 open water season.  (Read 519 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
My 2020 open water season.
« on: Jun 07, 2020, 06:12 PM »
Hi All,
Here are my 2020 open water season reports. :w00t:

May 7th.
This was my first trip out to dust off the open water rod and wet a few hooks.

I was hoping that the full flower super moon that night might have a positive effect on the fishing, and so, put it to the test.

I fished from 6:10 pm - 8:40 pm at 2 different spots.

It was a cloudy evening with the odd sunny break. The temp was + 12 deg C / 54 deg F and there was some wind from the E to NE.

Spot 1 was at Fishing Lake.
The lake itself was not totally ice free yet, but, I found an area, in a bay, where there was enough open water to make a full cast.
 I fished on 1 side of the bay while, on the other side, 3 - 5 other anglers were fishing.

None of us seemed to have any luck at all.  After an hour of pulling in nothing but a few weeds, and seeing only schools of small minnows and shrimp passing by, it was time to move.
The fish will usually let you know in some way, if they are around, be it a tap, strike or even a splash, so, if I don't see any of these indications I usually move until I do.

Spot 2 was a shallow creek.  There was no one else around.
On my third cast I get a strike, and land my first fish of the new open water season.
This pike.

It sure felt good to feel to that tug again. :)

I found out that the creek was the place to be that evening with the pike hitting fairly consistently.
After half an hour I had 5 more. :o
Barbless hooks made it easy to take a quick photo and send them on their way.

I fish for another half hour, but as it got dark the bites began to slow a bit.
The ones that did hit, bit lighter and were able to shake free, when they jumped.

All in all I was happy with my first trip of the season and was glad I moved.
Maybe the super moon did have a positive effect on the fish. It would seem so.

I know where I will try my luck when I go again.  I hope that they are still as aggressive next time around.

A few other photos from the evening.

The end to a nice evening. :)

May 11th.
I eagerly head back to the same area as I had luck at on my first time out.
I fish that area, plus a few other spots, from 5:00 pm - 9:15 pm

For the last few days, temps have been below average for this time of year, and this was no exception at only +8 deg C / 46 deg F with some wind from the N to NW and a mix of sun and cloud.
Thankfully, as it got later, it calmed right down.

Spot 1 was the same creek that I had luck at before.

There are no other anglers around and I start fishing.

It is interesting how a spot can be so hot one time and then dead the next, as was the case this time.  :P
I fished for a good long while with only 1 small nip at the lure near the start and then nothing the rest of the way through.
Time to move on.

Spot 2 was at Whitesand / Pelican Lake.
 I did not fish it at all last winter, so, thought I would give it a shot now.

The lake was completely ice free, and very clear. It was also very low, the lowest I have seen it for a while in spring.

There was lots of bird activity around in the form of gulls, geese, greebs, ducks and, of course, pelicans, which the lake was named after.

I also give this area a good long try, and, did a little bit better, landing a pike half an hour or so before I move on. :)

Spot 3 would be my last move of the day and I am back at Fishing Lake.
By now the sun is just starting to set in the sky.  I saw a fair amount of fish activity around with a few jumping near the shore line and others just a bit further out.

I was only in this area for a half hour, but, glad I went there in the end.
I could see large schools of minnows slowly moving along the shore line by my feet. That's what the fish were busting at the surface. I would watch for a splash and then throw my lure near it.
That seemed to work as I landed 3 pike and a walleye.
The 3 pike on average were some of the largest I have landed sofar this season, with the last fish of the eveing being a fair chunk. :laugh:

This was my first walleye of the season, and a nice bonus catch for me as well. :)

All the fish went back.  I was glad I did put them back this time, as one of the pike released a few eggs when I lifted her from the net. It would seem that their spawn is not over yet.

In the end I am satisfied with my results for the night.

May 19th.
This would be my last trip this month.

I return to Fishing Lake and set up in the spot I had luck at before.
I shore fished from 5:09 pm - 7:15pm.

We had a bit of a heat wave for a few days and this was the warmest day sofar this year.
Earlier on the temp was + 29 deg C / 84 deg F, but, by the time I got to the lake it cooled a bit to +26 deg C / 79 deg F.
There was just a bit of cloud cover, and the wind shifted back and forth from the N to NW.

Another group of anglers had the same idea as me, and arrive just as I started to fish.
There were 3 adults and 2 children.  They set up slip floats down the shoreline from me.
I did see them land and release a pike while I was there, + had 3 other fish that tugged their floats down, but, were not hooked.

Another angler sets up to my left later on in the afternoon.  They lose a pike as they try to hoist it up onto shore.

I was able to land a pike an hour or so into the fishing.
It was no monster, but, was still better than a skunk. :laugh:

I did manage to land 2 more pike no more than 5 min apart a few min before I left.
They were a bit bigger than the first one, but, the camera run out of juice, so no photos.

All the fish went back that evening.

I plugged the camera in the charger in case another photo opportunity pops up.

The ticks were out as well, (and have been for some time now).
I pulled a few of them off my clothing as I fished.

On the way home, the camera had charged just enough for a shot of the lake.

All in all it was a dandy afternoon / evening by the water.
I am happy with how the fishing was this May.

Hoping for continued luck in June and hope you all have had good fishing luck as well. ;D

WW
  & 

WyoMinFisher

Re: My 2020 open water season.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2020, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the updates!  We were supposed to come up to Kuroki this year and hit Fishing Lake, Stoney and Tobin but the Covid have us trapped down here.... Hopefully next year!!  Keep up with the updates please!!

ran7ger

Re: My 2020 open water season.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2020, 10:26 PM »
great post WW, thanks for the pics and good luck this season!
got a fish on the line and my boat on the water
and it's gettin' near time to take the cows to the slaughter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.