FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Oliver Lake Rainbow stomach contents  (Read 1490 times)

fishogger

Re: Oliver Lake Rainbow stomach contents
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2020, 10:41 AM »
here is a first for me.  I cleaned the trout from last night and found tiny clear worms in the stomach of one of them.  only one had them in it.  haven't investigated yet too tired.  I got home at 5 am so I just stayed up and hit a morning bite on a local water. lol

the pick probably not very good but the video mite help you guys identify them?  wild lil flippin things lmao

some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

fishogger

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2020, 10:45 AM »
also found a chunk of plastic worm, corn, a stem of some plant, and brown gunk(which I assume is aquatic critters)

and I was being funny about the intestine comment. you know "who watches fish aholes for decades".  ha ha

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Tim,

O.K. gotcha on the kidding.

You need to post this on my Indiana Inland Lakes Trout Anglers page. We have an assistant biologist that answers questions like this. Its been a long time since I had to identify 120 species of aquatic insects in college.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2020, 07:32 PM »
post it up to him.  please ask for some info on where these larva things live. depth bottom substrate stuff.  maybe it will help figure out where they are feeding.  or at least this one.

I also seen glowing red plankton things around my light. don't recall ever seeing those before.  looked like tiny LEDs swimming around it.

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2020, 08:15 PM »
I looked at your video again, and I think know what they are if I'm seeing them right. They are chironomid midge fly larvae. They live in the bottom goo and are usually red in color(called bloodworms), but not all of them. At some point they rise to the surface to hatch. I have pulled them from muck as deep as 50 feet or so on Oliver Lake on my anchor so they can be found quite deep.

https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/biology-and-control-of-non-biting-aquatic-midges

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2020, 04:06 AM »
thats what im leaning towards after looking on net a while.  I didn't get the magnifying glass out to see much detail on them.  probably should have.  interesting how lively they were even after 5+hours on ice in the fish.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2020, 04:29 AM »
thats what im leaning towards after looking on net a while.  I didn't get the magnifying glass out to see much detail on them.  probably should have.  interesting how lively they were even after 5+hours on ice in the fish.

I used to see live zooplankton in trout stomach contents after cleaning trout in Massachusetts.

bogtrotter

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Scary looking stuff.  Looks like the creature that pops out of the guy's stomach in the movie Alien.

fishogger

« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2020, 10:07 AM »
no more of these in the trout I cleaned this morning.  I did find zebra muscles in a couple though.  mostly brown goo.

got into the really nice gills too!  after trout fishing we tried some weed edges for gills.  no wind so we could just bump along and pull fish from under the boat in 12-20 fow. after the last trip to this lake, and catching a few 8-9" gills along with the trout.  I took an ultralight and small ice jig with me last night.  the jig glowed and so did the plastic.  the plastic is just a tail of a bigger bait I tear off to make this jig.  I call it the" sperm jig".  if you seen it swinging around glowing at night you'd know why. lmao 

the trout and the gills just loved it!  no bait no scent just a "pounding" action. ;D  had a blast till 4am hauling them in. couple crappie and 1 smaller gill i turned back.  the rest were all nice keeper gills.  they are my lunch here soon :laugh:

Piggyn

« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I call it the" sperm jig".

Well now I know the secret ingredient in your fish spray attractant bottle!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

fishogger

« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2020, 05:07 PM »
lmao U B nasty buoy.

fishogger

« Reply #26 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:48 AM »
in the trout last night:

1 zebra muscle, 1 rock, couple leaves, corn, 1 piece of fake corn from another fisherman, and more of those clear wiggly worm things, yet to be identified.

the night gills were a bit more sluggish last night . the Saturday skiers had it all clouded up in that area.  they were still there and big but I only scratched 12. guess ill have to save that spot for weeknights. ;D and several gills had eggs in them still. 

I caught 1 trout on bobber rig.  the rest came on the "sperm jig".  2 other trout boats out lest night too.  where the fake corn came from im sure. lol

staubsaugen

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:21 PM »
Any holdover trout, or just this year's stockers?

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:28 AM »
in the trout last night:

1 zebra muscle, 1 rock, couple leaves, corn, 1 piece of fake corn from another fisherman, and more of those clear wiggly worm things, yet to be identified.

the night gills were a bit more sluggish last night . the Saturday skiers had it all clouded up in that area.  they were still there and big but I only scratched 12. guess ill have to save that spot for weeknights. ;D and several gills had eggs in them still. 

I caught 1 trout on bobber rig.  the rest came on the "sperm jig".  2 other trout boats out lest night too.  where the fake corn came from im sure. lol

and several gills had eggs in them still.

Actually Tim they will spawn up to 4 X per year and have in my ponds. I have males clouding up the water in my biggest pond right now making beds.

Btw had a steelhead freshly float up a couple of days ago. Could not have been dead more than a day.

fishogger

« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2020, 10:54 AM »
staub, 17" the biggest id say.

wow that one made it a long time!  the lake I was on last night was 78* surface.  the gills I was pulling up were pretty cold to the touch from 20fow. 

I guess I knew that taxi. they do it on our beach 3 or 4 times a season.  must be the 4 hours or less sleep I been running on.  taking the night off tonight. well as it stands. haha  that's what I said yesterday till about 6 pm ;D

lots of corn in the fish from last night.(someone chumming it up regular) some cheese chunks(as far as I could tell) one zebra and brown goo.  didn't see any of those wiggly worms.

last night batch is headed to smoker with a deer roast today. :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.