FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: zebra solution?  (Read 335 times)

fishogger

some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

lowaccord66

Re: zebra solution?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2020, 02:43 PM »
I fish a few fisheries with them and I have to say I dont mind them one bit.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2020, 04:31 PM »
We have the technology to make them go extinct by manipulating genes. However we must proceed with caution with something like this.  Pottasium chloride works well in smaller bodies of water without harming other fauna.  OTOH it looks like native species are consuming them along with the gobies in the Great Lakes, which are in turn consumed by predator native species and naturalized salmonids.

It also seems like they are already crashing from original high levels by overeating their food source, which may allow them to not be as harmful as initially.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2020, 02:30 PM »
on a side note taxi, hurshtown res. started making people spray their boat off before launching.  day late n dollar short I think. lmao  boats been launching there for years from other walleye waters infested with zebras.  already in there so what is the point?

I haven't fished it in years because of all the stupid rules and the moronic hours that its open.  who operates a walleye lake that opens 2hours after dawn and closes 2 hours before sunset. and you cant launch if the wind is blowing 10mph or more.  they must all have brown smelly hair . ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2020, 07:23 AM »
 I fish several bodies of water that have them plus gobies , , it’s just the food chain of today , gobies , sheep  even seeds , caught perch  With Zebs in them , look at Erie and the fishery they have 😃

jperch

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:41 AM »
I too have seen perch with zebra mussels in them - that's gotta hurt on the way out!  I think I have only seen that during ice season.  I have lived on the shores of Lake Ontario for 65 years, there have been a lot of changes.  I can tell you for sure that the water is MUCH cleaner than it was when I was a boy.  The water would foam up with suds when it got rough and grease balls were very common on the beach.  Unmentionables from raw sewage, yuck.  Things are different, but better.  I think the mussels are here to stay, but they are not as prevalent as they once were.  Same for the gobies.  I can tell you as a SCUBA diver that sheepshead (drum) and carp actively feed on mussels.  There seems to be less diversity in the lake.  When I was a boy there were many kinds of panfish (sunfish, rockies, strawberry bass, silverbass, perch, etc) that were common.  They are still all there, just not as common.  There were different kinds of plants attached to the rocks back then and the little shrimp critters that lived in the plants seem to be gone.  The perch loved those things. As Fred said, the food chain has changed. 

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2020, 01:17 PM »
on a side note taxi, hurshtown res. started making people spray their boat off before launching.  day late n dollar short I think. lmao  boats been launching there for years from other walleye waters infested with zebras.  already in there so what is the point?

I haven't fished it in years because of all the stupid rules and the moronic hours that its open.  who operates a walleye lake that opens 2hours after dawn and closes 2 hours before sunset. and you cant launch if the wind is blowing 10mph or more.  they must all have brown smelly hair . ;D

Yeah a little late now.

I fish a lake on vaca in Massachusetts for trout among other things. Same thing -- doesn't open until 9 A.M. and you must be off the water by a certain time. Also no night fishing which is a shame.

Brown smelly hair?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2020, 07:18 AM »
lol think about it.  head up _____ ___

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2020, 06:40 PM »
lol think about it.  head up _____ ___

Ewwwww! Got it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.