FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Caldwell lake report  (Read 1467 times)

bigr

Caldwell lake report
« on: Jul 06, 2020, 06:25 AM »
Hit Caldwell for the big gils. This is a summer time lake that can be tough for those that don't have the experience of fishing it. The fish suspend above the thermocline so in the dead of summer most the action will be over deep water but just 6 to 8 ft down. Good lakes are not easy lakes and won't give up big numbers every time out. A good working slip bobber rig fished as far from boat as possible lined with six lb test with 2lb ice fishing lead a couple ft long with the sinkers attached well away from a very small hook. Just like winter fishing you want to prevent bait spin so I use a small football type sinker pinched on line. Red wigglers are my preferred bait hooked right in the head end of worm with only the barb exposed. The worm will dance and it's important to keep fresh bait on hook. For this lake a lite chop on the water is always better than dead calm but when it is calm I will bump my line every few seconds to keep worm moving. Bites usually happen quickly after a bump. A usual day on this lake is anywhere from 15 to 30 fish in the 9 to 11 inch range and this day yielded 19 with none under 9 1/2inches. Fat healthy fish. Channel getting out on to the lake is terrible and totally covered with green grass and floating stuff so if you don't want to have to clean trailer and boat this lake isn't for you. No big motor use since a 10 mile an hr speed limit. Still a dollar to launch on the rock ramp. Its solid but advise four wheel drive. This is my favorite lake for big gils and I know some of you may think I shouldn't be giving out this kind of info but this lake is as I've said a tough lake to fish and parking is not likely to ever be a problem. You go there once and most will not come back. Good luck and I hope this helps with those looking for what I believe is the best public gil fishing in the state for size and quality. You'll have to work at it, be patient and don't expect big numbers.   

RoeBoat

Re: Caldwell lake report
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2020, 12:10 AM »
Good report!  Caldwell south of Warsaw?

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2020, 05:17 AM »
yes

Spencerville

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Great lake, we fished it when I was a kid. Around the corner at Hill lake is another great gill lake.

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:18 AM »
Hill lake is decent but doesn't have an access unless you know someone.

Spencerville

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:20 PM »
Hill lake is decent but doesn't have an access unless you know someone.
Correct... can be a ball on the ice.

Spencerville

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:23 PM »
My parent had a trailer up there when I was a kid...cut my teeth on gills and large mouth there...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.