FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: switched gears  (Read 445 times)

fishogger

switched gears
« on: Jul 15, 2020, 09:21 AM »
been on a night bite trout kick here lately.  getting the freezer stocked for smoking.  problem is, i have eaten about half of them so far though.  :D

for a change of pace I switched to cats.  spawn is over and they are on the feed.  I set up in the mouth of one of my favorite bays.  put 2 bait rods out cast towards the shallows.  after I anchored up out at channel edge, I could hear thrashing in the bay.  I was hoping it was cats and not carp. some big fish making those noises for sure! I got the 2 rods out with some "danny kings".  I got chair and bait station set up and was settling in.  temp was perfect skeeters weren't too bad and no wind.  I was worried about the current not running, but confident I was in the rite place to contact them when they moved in to hunt the bay.  in essence setting ambush opposed to using the current and scent to bring them to me. rods were out 5 min. and one started peeling line.  I set on a heavy feeling fish.  couldn't turn it for 20yrds, then it turned and ran at the boat.  not good as I had 2 anchors and a light hanging under the boat in 6fow. lol  I managed to keep her out of all that and get her rolling boat side and in the net.  a nice start to the night with a great battle on bass rod.  she went around 26" and fat as could bee. id guess 7-8pounds of beautiful greenish gold slime.  in fact all the 18 cats I caught last night were bloated with food.  all in all it was well worth the time spent and sleep lost.  probably gona take my nephew out this week sometime.  he is just getting started on his fishing life and I want to brand him good with some hog fish.  ;D

ended up with 8 nice ones (over 5 pounds) and the rest were 13-20" eaters.  here is a couple crappy flip phone pics.  sorry no pics of my striking features, was by myself.

found out i need a new net also. lol
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

rivereddy

Re: switched gears
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:12 PM »
I've never hooked a cat that didn't put up a heck of a ruckus....

fish on,

rivereddy

fishogger

Re: switched gears
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2020, 06:28 AM »
very true!

last night wasn't as good.  we caught some but the rain ran us off earlier than forecast. 
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.