FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nwi storms  (Read 1387 times)

fishinator

Nwi storms
« on: Aug 11, 2020, 05:49 AM »
Anyone else in North West Indiana get hammered by storms yesterday? Here in a small town in Newton County and we got hit hard. Several trees and power lines down. Lots of siding ripped off houses. Been a while since I've seen winds that strong.

tater140

Re: Nwi storms
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2020, 06:48 AM »
It wasn't too bad here in Whitley county.  Got kinda windy for a bit, and rained a good amount. 

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Not bad in my section of Noble either. Only a quarter inch of rain too.

Although I wonder if wind effects how much rain gets into the rain guage?

It was a little ominous at first with a tornado siren going off in Cromwell. Don't think one was sited but NWS issued a tornado warning due to rotation on the radar.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Piggyn

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2020, 08:50 AM »
Although I wonder if wind effects how much rain gets into the rain guage?

It's hard to imagine it wouldn't have an effect, especially if the diameter of the gauge's tube is on the smaller side.  As in basketball, a higher arc (slow wind speed) gives you a larger target than a flatter arc (high wind speed)... although a 90 degree jump shot is a bit impractical!

https://secretsofshooting.com/physics-based-basketball-shooting/
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2020, 07:08 PM »
Newton County seemed to get the worst of it from what I heard.  Nothing in Lake or Porter County was hit to bad.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Here in Hobart all we had was 30 minutes of strong wind and rain but no damage.
Stepson in Boone Grove said it was worse he'd ever seen. Hail put holes in Barn, ruined above ground pool. He went for a drive and many roads were blocked with downed trees. Their power was out until yesterday, Tuesday, at around 3:30pm.
I drove to Upper Sandusky, OH  and back yesterday, 225 miles one way, saw little damage on Rt 30, but saw 50+ Power/Electric  trucks going west. Probably going to Indiana to help restore power.
Teach

Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Power came back on here a little after 3 yesterday. Lines down in 4 places in town and the power company was short staffed. Sent 1 guys to fix everything in town. Just now got all the streets opened back up.

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.