FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: fall shrooms in full swing  (Read 5401 times)

fishogger

Re: fall shrooms in full swing
« Reply #30 on: Sep 25, 2020, 06:38 AM »
I have yet to try the pizza thing.  maybe this weekend while wife gone ill play with them. was thinking of grilling half way then adding toppings.  not such a crunchy crust ya know.

the wifes grandpa told me a puffball story years ago. he been gone many years now.  was an old farmer from around Wolcott IN. he was kicking one down the road as a kid.  I don't know when but id guess in the 20s?  anyhow a lady yelled at him and asked where he got it.  he said in pasture down rd.  she told him to go get her a couple nice ones and she would cook them up for him.  well, he said she cooked them up like mashed potatoes.  he couldn't remember just how she did it though and I could never figure it out playing with them.  I thought it would be interesting to try tho. lol
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

fishinator

« Reply #31 on: Sep 25, 2020, 07:27 AM »
I found some really fresh chickens. Unfortunately the bugs found them first.

When making pizza if you dont cook the crust enough it wants to fall apart. Good quality cheese and sauce makes a big difference. Now I'm hungry!

fishogger

« Reply #32 on: Sep 26, 2020, 11:09 AM »
ok ill keep that in mind thx for the tip.

fishogger

« Reply #33 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04:45 PM »
did the pizzas with puffball crust on grill.  very good!  mite be my new favorite way to use them.

not nice round shape but the shroom dictated that part.

all I did was brush the slices with melted butter and grill about 6min a side on med.  then I flipped them over one more time and added the sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic pepper. peperoni, and then topped with cheese.  closed lid till cheese was melting and peperoni curling a bit.  just as good as regular pizza! the crust wasn't cooked crispy at all and still held together just fine.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Sep 26, 2020, 05:27 PM »
That looks great......../ :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

RoeBoat

« Reply #35 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Was going to try the pizza thing this week but put the big ball in the fridge overnight and it was yellow inside when sliced the next day.  I thought it was fresh enough when I picked it.  Never tried to keep one overnight before.  Will they yellow that quickly or do you think it was already starting when I picked it?  Been years since I picked any.

fishogger

« Reply #36 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:19 PM »
I have kept them in fridge for a few days.  I usually slice and lay them in bowl with damp peper towel on them like morels.  im betting it was bad when picked man.  I check them in woods if not really firm.

go get another one the pizza deal is top shelf :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Hexagenia51

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Roeboat I agree with Hogger that it was past before you picked it. Usually the whiter in color the fresher it is! Pizzas are my favorite recipe for using puffballs, but they have to be fresh! Hex

RoeBoat

« Reply #38 on: Sep 28, 2020, 06:15 PM »
I thought it looked and felt pretty fresh but it was a large sucker, larger than a basketball.   I knew it wasn't really the size for eating but it was an opportunistic pick, was there on other business.

fishogger

« Reply #39 on: Sep 29, 2020, 06:44 AM »
ill poke in by the root with my finger if I question one.  they seem to start there when going bad.  Ive picked lots of past date ones also.

fishinator

« Reply #40 on: Sep 30, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Found a few really fresh sheephead. Kept a couple im going to try to marinade and grill. Gave the rest to friends.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #41 on: Oct 01, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Nice find! I haven't found any Hens yet but still hoping to! I did find a nice chicken. Here's a picture. Hex

RoeBoat

« Reply #42 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:10 PM »
ill poke in by the root with my finger if I question one.  they seem to start there when going bad.  Ive picked lots of past date ones also.

You're right about that.  It was most yellow at the root and radiated out from there.

Hexagenia51

« Reply #43 on: Oct 02, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Fishinator what do you marinate your Hens in? I found three Hens and four puffballs today. The one puffball was a really big one and should make some nice large pizza crusts! Here's a shot of my half of the rooms. Hex

fishogger

« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2020, 07:49 AM »
found about 5 pounds of chicken yesterday by my deer stand.  I never seen it grow there before.

envy over the pizza slabs hex! nice find.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.