FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: fall shrooms in full swing  (Read 5417 times)

fishogger

Re: fall shrooms in full swing
« Reply #60 on: Oct 11, 2020, 06:21 PM »
is the core tuff like a chicken?
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Hexagenia51

« Reply #61 on: Oct 12, 2020, 07:45 AM »
is the core tuff like a chicken?
Hogger ya the core is tougher like a chicken, but you can just slice it thin and it cooks up great. Hex

Piggyn

« Reply #62 on: Oct 12, 2020, 01:21 PM »
I usually just break it down by pulling the pettles off and clean it real good, then sauté in butter with alittle oil(to keep butter from burning)...

I regularly make ghee out of unsalted butter.  It has a much higher smoke point than regular butter.  Ghee is good to over 450 deg F while butter is limited to ~350 deg F.  I also prefer the flavor of ghee, and it compliments mushrooms very well.  This article explains how to make it: BUTTER 101: CLARIFIED BUTTER, GHEE, AND BROWN BUTTER.

I have also recently become a fan of avocado oil as a replacement for olive oil.  It has a higher smoke point and is one of the healthier cooking oils, although it isn't cheap.  Then of course, peanut oil is my go to for large fish fries.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

fishogger

« Reply #63 on: Oct 16, 2020, 02:20 PM »
I found a chicken start several days ago.  it didn't grow much so I picked it for lunch.  haven't seen any more in while.  puffballs were lean this year so far.  I have found them in nov. in the snow though.

Dinkgetter

« Reply #64 on: Oct 21, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Thanks for the info on the Hen of the woods mushroom. I fried 2 of them in a butter and peanut oil mix. Both tasted good. One was kind of chewy but they were both fresh. 

fishogger

« Reply #65 on: Oct 22, 2020, 05:25 AM »
was starting to wonder if you succumbed to bad shroom. lol  good to hear you enjoyed them. hope you read all the medicinal values for hens too. not just tasty! 

fishogger

« Reply #66 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:03 PM »
found a chicken at the shore line today.  was old though and next to the water.  so I let it be. probably best not to eat a gas soaked mushroom.

fishogger

« Reply #67 on: Nov 03, 2020, 03:30 AM »
came across this again and thought some mite find interest in it.  kinda in depth but us regular folks can still take away from it. lol

https://www.ourcommonroots.com/blog/chicken-of-the-woods-medicinal-mycology.html

Hexagenia51

« Reply #68 on: Nov 03, 2020, 07:48 AM »
About a week ago I was setting up a deer hunt and saw about four big chickens hanging on the side of the big Oak I usually sit beside. They were a little old but I salvaged a few florets and they cooked up pretty good. Wished I had found them a week earlier! Here's a picture. Hex

fishogger

« Reply #69 on: Nov 04, 2020, 06:38 AM »
that would have been a great find fresh!

maybe the warm up will make more pop here?

fishogger

« Reply #70 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05:43 AM »
found big cluster of oysters yesterday while tracking the boys deer.  they were frozen solid. lol I left them there. im sure they are still popping down south.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.