FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: fall shrooms in full swing  (Read 1244 times)

fishogger

fall shrooms in full swing
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 01:06 PM »
since the rains and cool tamps hit the fungus has been growing.  got reports of finds from friends. i been out a couple times but struck out.  this morning I went to my hot spot looking to score dome puffballs.  a buddy had some up in his yard 2 miles way so I figured it was guaranteed.  nope not one puffball up at my place.  I did however score a bunch of chicken of the woods. some super fresh others drying out some. I like them better than puffs anyhow. lol

this is the load I brought home today.  left some to grow a few days too.

best lunch I have had in a while! :P  me and a buddy pigged out on an entire clump.  fried them up in onion ring batter.  dipped in honey mustard.  god im bloated! lol
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

Hexagenia51

Re: fall shrooms in full swing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2020, 10:38 PM »
Nice haul there Hogger! I found a couple oysters the other day. Hex

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:01 AM »
Nice pick hogger.
 Been into the giant puffballs here..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishogger

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:15 AM »
another week or so for puffs at my place I hope.  there are puffballs everywhere at the farm most years.  no sign of them yet this year though.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:46 AM »
So I cooked my first puffball Sunday. I thought it was good, but seemed like it was rather bland. I dipped in egg and breaded with a mixture of rice flour, Italian breadcrumbs and Panko. Do you guys do anything different to get more flavor into the ‘ball?

tater140

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:07 AM »
I found some puffballs last year, and cooked them up after reading your posts on here.  We enjoyed them... I thought they needed a fair amount of salt helped the flavor.  Do they grow in the same areas year to year?  if so I have an idea where to look now.  I may have to look for some of those hen of the woods next.

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:53 AM »
So I cooked my first puffball Sunday. I thought it was good, but seemed like it was rather bland. I dipped in egg and breaded with a mixture of rice flour, Italian breadcrumbs and Panko. Do you guys do anything different to get more flavor into the ‘ball?
puffballs are one of the few shrooms i don't like deep fried. try slicing them about an inch thick. Cover with oil and season. Cook them on a grill until they have lost most of their moisture and shrank up. Then use them as a pizza crust.

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2020, 12:59 PM »
Interesting....I’ll give this method a try, my neighbor just called and he found a big one down by the lake.

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:48 PM »
yes tater they grow in same area year after year.  they turn brown and release spores, so kick the brown ones you find around a bit.  they will be there again keep eye open.  chickens are the easiest to spot by far. 

check out "learn your land" videos on utube.  very good info to learn from.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:13 AM »
I found a few pink bottoms popping up around here so far. Got to hit the woods for chickens this weekend.

Piggyn

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:26 PM »

There is nothing sadder than finding a large old chicken of the woods... other than finding one that's been stabbed and shot to death!
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

fishogger

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:48 PM »
lol piggyn

found my puffballs in another part of the woods.  they are tiny yet so ill check them tomorrow.  got a couple tree rats for lunch on the walk.  so, at least I scored somethin for my efforts. :P

Hexagenia51

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Found a couple puffballs starting in the yard this morning while walking the dogs. Same spot as last year, but seems alittle later this year. Here's a picture, hope they start to explode I am jonesing for some puffball pizza! Hex

fishogger

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:13 PM »
I checked the tiny ones today but not much bigger. Check size again satrurday and see. Be interesting to see growth rate between yours and mine hex. I took pic today,  from what I read they can grow several days,

Hexagenia51

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:39 PM »
I threw some rain water on these, hoping to improve their growth. I'll keep tabs on these. I'm thinking about making another run through some of my areas this afternoon. Hex

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.