FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: scored on chicken today  (Read 288 times)

fishogger

scored on chicken today
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 01:15 PM »
no not the yard bird kind. lol 

chicken of the woods kind.  my first score of the season.  probably around 15# in all.  got stuffed with a friend at lunch on them.

for those that love shrooms but don't hunt these STOP IT! lol  go out and get u some.  cant be any easier to see or identify.  they come in bulk and are deeeeeeeeeeelicious !  I got turned onto them from a fishing site years ago and been wild about them ever since.  do yourself favor and read up and go hunt them.
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: scored on chicken today
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2020, 02:19 PM »
Nice find on the Chickens.

Got my pb puff ball last week.

I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

fishinator

« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2020, 04:13 PM »
Nice finds. Got myself a pile of hens a couple weeks back.

fishogger

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2020, 07:59 PM »
nice haul fishinator! do you dry them and use them long term? I found some old hens I missed today.  5 big clumps around one oak stump.  next year ill be checking it early!

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2020, 08:24 PM »
nice haul fishinator! do you dry them and use them long term? I found some old hens I missed today.  5 big clumps around one oak stump.  next year ill be checking it early!
I have never tried to dry them.  I just eat a ton and deliver the rest to friends and neighbors.
   I have access to some woods that were logged in the past. Giant oak stumps everywhere. All those were found around 1 stump. The other stumps were empty. I'm sure more will be coming up soon with the cool nights.

westernmas

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:16 AM »
These the right thing?  Iím not really into them but might have friends who would be interested. Thereís a few good sized patches where I walk my dog.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
[email protected]$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:51 AM »
These the right thing?  Iím not really into them but might have friends who would be interested. Thereís a few good sized patches where I walk my dog.

That looks like a chicken. Have to be careful because if picked off of pines or locust trees they can make you sick

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:56 AM »
That looks like a chicken. Have to be careful because if picked off of pines or locust trees they can make you sick

Good to know.  They are on a downed oak across a brook near me.  Appreciate the insight.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:01 PM »
I pick most of mine off locust trees and never had any ill effects. fed them to at least 3 doz. people that never had ill effects either.  a couple said that it help ease their arthritis pains bigtime!  I read where the ones grown on black locust showed more of a potent chem. that fights cancer cells.  lots of health benefits in shrooms they are finding.

westernmass, the one in your pic can still be good it looks a bit past prime though. wont hurt ya it will just be tougher than a young one.  cut the outer rim off that is tender when they are old like that one.  I use the tougher parts for soup stocks.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=learn+your+land+chickens&docid=608044906900357785&mid=29ECE7186FB1A3B4A06F29ECE7186FB1A3B4A06F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:24 AM »

westernmass, the one in your pic can still be good it looks a bit past prime though. wont hurt ya it will just be tougher than a young one.  cut the outer rim off that is tender when they are old like that one.  I use the tougher parts for soup stocks.

Thanks for the tips!  Although I'm not a big fan of shrooms, I have used them in stocks and bases of soup.  They do add a nice woody flavor.  I'll have to cut them up small and see if I like it.  I may wait to stumble upon one more in its prime.  What makes you say that it is getting older?
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.