FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Hunters?  (Read 1372 times)

Baitbucket

Any Hunters?
« on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

This season i have decided to take up hunting. My son (9) is a boy scout and has shown alot of interest in getting out in the woods to hunt.

As i have never hunted before im looking here for a little advice. I know the regs and rules etc. I have decided to spend this season getting an idea as to where to go, strategies, learning where to look, etc.. before i get out there with my son. I dont want to take him out and have him lose interest due to lack of action.

With turkey season in full swing, that has been my target. My yard and surrounding property had been littered with them daily up until right about when hunting season started lol. I know that sounds cliché but below is a pic of 4 from a pack of about 12-15 that i took from my front porch about 15ft away.

Since turkey season opened, I havent seen them since...

If any of you guys want to get out and teach a new guy some tricks shoot me a PM

bogtrotter

Re: Any Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Baitbucket:

Sorry, I'm not a hunter myself, so I cannot help you directly.

However, I do have a question that might "focus" the responses you get.

What part of the State do you live in?

I ask because you would prefer info about conditions/places to go in your own neck of the woods rather than the other end of the State.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Or go to the sister site.
www.myhuntingforum.com.
Things are picking up over there and there's some good guys with great advice.   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2020, 11:14 AM »
And really happy to see new guys and kids to the sport.. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:03 PM »
X2 to what RD says! Definitely go to the hunting site, there’s a lot of info and some good folks.

Do you have any friends who hunt? People tend to be a bit hesitant to go out in the woods with a gun with someone they don’t know.

I would also get your kid out scouting with you/just being in the woods. Hunting, for me, is way more about getting outside with my dad then anything else.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Good luck in your pursuit Will.  I've been thinking about getting into it bit also would be completely green.  Scenes like yours with the turkey and also bucks like this are common in my yard too!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:14 PM »
maybe take the kid to one of the pheasant stocked fields. would help if you had a bird dog but there is usually other hunters that would be more than willing to share some pointers to help you and your son. he will also most likely see people getting birds so he might not get bored as easily.

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:32 PM »
maybe take the kid to one of the pheasant stocked fields. would help if you had a bird dog but there is usually other hunters that would be more than willing to share some pointers to help you and your son. he will also most likely see people getting birds so he might not get bored as easily.

I hit up a couple stocked lands with my cousin. Quite a few people and quite a few shots going off.

Ill hold off on taking him till we have a better chance at getting something. If there is one thing ive learned about taking kids fishing, is to keep them catching.

old man river

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2020, 06:59 PM »
 GREAT photo of turkeys  in a group  they are ALL EYES BALLS! always looking
 in NY we have short season,  in fall they are mostly looking for food  and always on the move
I hunt them in spring   good luck
ralph

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:31 AM »
Lowaccord66, if you have bucks like that running around your yard, I would be pleased to come over and give a few pointers....h2l

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2020, 07:21 AM »
Lowaccord66, if you have bucks like that running around your yard, I would be pleased to come over and give a few pointers....h2l

Hey Doug, Mike (jaeger) already laid claim, I'm actually surprised the feeder isn't back there already...plus I'm told you can get a good number of tags for my region.

westernmas

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Good luck in your pursuit Will.  I've been thinking about getting into it bit also would be completely green.  Scenes like yours with the turkey and also bucks like this are common in my yard too!

Jon I'm in the same boat.  I've had a bow for a couple of years now and have cams out behind my house but haven't really taken a full jump into it.  Pike fishing might turn me into a bird hunter.  I sure see a lot more ducks than pike.  I've got a nice, big bodied 8 on one of my cams and a ton of does and spikes.  Might have a sit one of these weekends.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Pike fishing with the wrong people....

If I owned a net I would have posted a 37-38" tiger musky of about 17-18lbs but I lost it boatside when I went to grab it and the spinnerbait popped out.  Pike on the fly was a consolation.  (Same fly my previous tiger ate)

To see one at that size only a couple years after being stocked is amazing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.