FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore
The board sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite Belgrade Lake  (Read 303 times)

Pikin Aint Easy

Favorite Belgrade Lake
« on: Nov 19, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Hello Everyone,

The Belgrade Lakes fishery is fantastic and my buddies and I absolutely love traveling up from NH several times a year to take advantage of their awesome bass and pike fishing!!

We have done well on Great Pond, Long Pond, and Messalonskee. However, I would have to say my favorite is Great Pond with all the endless opportunities the 8,000 acres has to offer! My friends and I consistently catch 3lb & 4lb SM and the occasional 5lb LM every season there, while flirting with double digit lb. pike in the same waters. I understand Pike are invasive in the Belgrades, however the first time I was onto an 8lb Pike on a bass rod I was hooked for life! Now add another 10+ lb.'s on that 8lbs and you may wet your pants on light tackle! The Pike are there to stay;) This place is loaded with life as I have included on the Sonar below and it's also fun watching all the loons smoke the bait balls!

Please share your favorite Belgrade Lake as I know many must have awesome experiences there just like we do!

NBourque

• Bass Assassin
Re: Favorite Belgrade Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Prob long

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2020, 06:56 AM »
Prob long
Agreed. My PB pike came on Long casting a 1/4 oz mepps deep agila for rainbows. Didn't have a tape but based on the rocks I was standing on, she seemed to be around 35"-38".

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:41 AM »
They're all fantastic.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Pikin Aint Easy

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:12 PM »
Long is Sweet, really enjoy the stream to ingham and the small amount of Belgrade Stream you get to fish!

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2020, 08:00 AM »
all those fish your catching are invasive. used to be a good salmon lake. especially long

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2020, 09:51 AM »
Good point deerhunter.  Believe, me I wish there were no pike in the system and Long Pond was still a world class salmon fishery.  I heard brookies got huge in Great Pond too. 

But what to do now?  I've been vacationing in the Belgrades for close to 20 years now and have spent lots of money in that area.  I've had some great pike trips over the years, though that has sort of run it's course.  I do still enjoy the bass fishing and just the area in general.  For what it's worth, I don't think the largemouth and smallmouth bass are truly "invasive" in the context of illegally planted, I think they were stocked by IF&W many years ago like lot of lakes were in New England.  Same with the brown trout and alewife forage to sustain the quality fishery for them.

If we're to be truly honest, the landlocked salmon were stocked fish.  None of the Belgrades had them naturally like Sebago did, for instance.

Surely the pike and crappie are invasive, maybe the white perch too. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2020, 11:35 AM »
White perch were planted heavily in land for forage by F&G departments and colonial people is what I have read. The idea was to provide forage for people as they tamed the wilderness.

Steve H.

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2020, 11:58 AM »
White perch were planted heavily in land for forage by F&G departments and colonial people is what I have read. The idea was to provide forage for people as they tamed the wilderness.

I had a hunch about the white perch that way.  I think the bigger problem with perch is that they've been indiscriminately (or accidentally) spread over the years.  Haley Pond in Rangeley is a good example of how dangerous yellow perch can be to an outstanding coldwater fishery.  Wasn't long before they were in the big lakes.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:50 AM »
Same with Pickerel, used to only be really found on the coastal area, but were spread because they could provide food to settlers, due to being easy to harvest, were forage-adaptable, and could live in almost any body of water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.