FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: bit of good news  (Read 916 times)

fishogger

bit of good news
« on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:38 AM »
a buddy went and trolled up some trout at oliver yesterday.  i caught a holdover and lost another.  so some made it through winter!  had his limit in short order didnt say nor did i ask a total fish caught.  there should be plenty of action from the fresh runts.  take the kids and go troll some up people!
some fishermen tell lies,  this one doesnt need to

taxid

Re: bit of good news
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2021, 08:52 PM »
a buddy went and trolled up some trout at oliver yesterday.  i caught a holdover and lost another.  so some made it through winter!  had his limit in short order didnt say nor did i ask a total fish caught.  there should be plenty of action from the fresh runts.  take the kids and go troll some up people!

Too bad it's managed pretty much just for put and take.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishogger

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2021, 03:38 AM »
yea its too bad our lakes dont support bigger fish anymore. at least we got to enjoy the killer fishing when they did.  unfortunately i dont think we will ever seen that again.  they would have to manage a forage also.  im with you, as you know, about the smelt fix.  sounds like its never gona happen.  im just hoping i can find some holdovers in my other trout waters too.  nobody wants to eat those little "veal trout". lol  and the way they thrash i dont feel its a very good c&r fish.  unless you unhook in the water im afraid too much damage can be done to survive.  they just go wild and crazy when trying to unhook.  im sure most dont handle them very gently.  the guys trolling up a bunch to release are probably killing most of them.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2021, 10:31 AM »
yea its too bad our lakes dont support bigger fish anymore. at least we got to enjoy the killer fishing when they did.  unfortunately i dont think we will ever seen that again.  they would have to manage a forage also.  im with you, as you know, about the smelt fix.  sounds like its never gona happen.  im just hoping i can find some holdovers in my other trout waters too.  nobody wants to eat those little "veal trout". lol  and the way they thrash i dont feel its a very good c&r fish.  unless you unhook in the water im afraid too much damage can be done to survive.  they just go wild and crazy when trying to unhook.  im sure most dont handle them very gently.  the guys trolling up a bunch to release are probably killing most of them.

They are great forage for the scare but monster pike in the Oliver Lake Chain and as we know a northern has no qualms eating dead fish laying on the bottom.

David Hughes part owner of the Panelmart in Ft. Wayne used to target just northerns in Oliver and Olin and caught and released some bruisers including a 26 pound 45 inch summer pike I mounted for him. If she had been caught in the winter full of eggs she would have weighed a few more pounds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2021, 10:22 AM »
Talked to a guy that came out to fish my trout pond last Saturday that said they did well on holdover bows on Oliver this spring before the stockers went in. I think he said some were in the 16 inch range.

fishogger

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 10:17 AM »
a buddy told me last night he caught 3 browns a few days ago.  none keeper size though.  said the stockers were almost pests.  lol

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 03:00 PM »
a buddy told me last night he caught 3 browns a few days ago.  none keeper size though.  said the stockers were almost pests.  lol

They are pests if you're after holdovers as they are so easy to catch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.