FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quabbin tomorrow.  (Read 2392 times)

lowaccord66

Quabbin tomorrow.
« on: Apr 16, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Lakers will be jigged.  Livescope ready to go.  Going to have a lot of fun watching the rigger balls and spoons live while we troll! 

Good luck to all who venture out.  Word on the street is fresh snow. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Quabbin tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2021, 02:24 PM »
I'll be out Sunday and looking like Monday too. good luck to all. salmon is what I'm after but wouldn't be opposed if a laker striking a spoon or shiner trolled 5 to 20ft down

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2021, 03:35 PM »
I plan to be out with Will Monday... Jigging for laker, with shiners off the back for Salmon, then we will look for some smallies... A fun day ahead!

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Happy we aren't getting the shaft this year regarding the start date!

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Good luck gentlemen! I heard you got a little snow out there today?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Cecil.  Yes we did!

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Thanks Cecil.  Yes we did!

We are getting a snowstorm on Tuesday to Wednesday. I disconnected the snowblower and installed the mower deck from the tractor a few weeks ago. Oh well, it will probably melt fast, and if it's under 8 inches we can drive through it down the driveway until I melts.

I wonder if it will move east and be your second snowstorm?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Good luck gentlemen! I heard you got a little snow out there today?

I even got to do some cross-country skiing earlier this afternoon, on 3 to 4 inches of snow in the Savoy State Forest (where it was about 35 degrees).

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2021, 03:00 PM »
I even got to do some cross-country skiing earlier this afternoon, on 3 to 4 inches of snow in the Savoy State Forest (where it was about 35 degrees).

That's awesome! I miss cross country skiing and downhill skiing since moving here from Mass and before that Europe.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2021, 07:25 PM »
well I got skunked today.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Fished both days.  Saturday was rather windy but we found lakers at our first stop and jigged a dozen or so but nothing bigger than 22-22".  Did some trolling with planers and my buddy picked up a salmon.  Couple of lakers as well.

Went back yesterday and found a better jig bite but nothing crazy.  Lakers are spread out all over the place so it's been tough to get big numbers in any one spot.  I did average up on the size yesterday to roughly 25-26" and broke off on one when I set the hook.  Very disappointed about that.

For what its worth we found and saw most of the lakers on livescope in the 50ft contour.  Some in 60-70 and not much deeper.  Was interesting see how they were spread out.  2 or 3 lakers here and there.  Will need the water to warm a bunch before they stack up deep.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2021, 10:24 AM »
well I got skunked today.

Well that sucks but just so you know just being out on Quabbin would be a winner for me. We have nothing like the out here. Cottages up to five deep ringing the lakes here and concrete seawalls everywhere. PWC and rude power boaters up the ying yang. Our trout lakes are loosing their summer trout water due to declining water quality. One lake that used to support a healthy population of smelt and cisco no longer has them, and even the trout are struggling to make it to fall turnover.

You have a unique treasure in Quabbin.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Fished both days.  Saturday was rather windy but we found lakers at our first stop and jigged a dozen or so but nothing bigger than 22-22".  Did some trolling with planers and my buddy picked up a salmon.  Couple of lakers as well.

Went back yesterday and found a better jig bite but nothing crazy.  Lakers are spread out all over the place so it's been tough to get big numbers in any one spot.  I did average up on the size yesterday to roughly 25-26" and broke off on one when I set the hook.  Very disappointed about that.

For what its worth we found and saw most of the lakers on livescope in the 50ft contour.  Some in 60-70 and not much deeper.  Was interesting see how they were spread out.  2 or 3 lakers here and there.  Will need the water to warm a bunch before they stack up deep.

That's cool you located some fish. It can only get better as you say when they get more concentrated. Out here we have lakes where trout get boxed into a 1 or 2 foot layer in late summer as oxygen declines. Like fishing in a barrel when that happens until they get stressed enough where they don't feel like feeding.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2021, 11:37 AM »
I haven't found lakers to shy from feeding any time of the year.  Once the thermocline is setup I'll find 2 different schools of lakers.  Ones that are in temp 48-52 degree water and ones that are not.  I have to imagine the lakers that are out of temp in warmer water are there metabolizing.  (Just my guess) The out of temp lakers absolutely never ever chase a jig.  The ones In temp usually do.  It's crazy to be fishing surface temps of 70 and then send a thermometer down and it's 48 degree water past 70 fow!  I have found that if you fish certain shoals that get angling pressure they do react after a week or so of being fished over.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2021, 12:07 PM »
2 days in a row skunking. granted I'm exclusively trolling for salmon. saw a few caught by others jigging streamers but I tried and couldn't dial them in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.