FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another beautiful February day...  (Read 5466 times)

LundProv

Another beautiful February day...
« on: Feb 08, 2023, 10:01 PM »
I have been watching our 10 day weather forecasts and had my sights set on today since this past Sunday.  The ice on the backyard pond is just a little too iffy so after spending the last couple of days catching up on things, I decided today was the day to fish with my focus on Lake Michigan.  I took a very enjoyable hike/walk with an old friend yesterday through the West Beach portion of the National Lakefront.  This friend and I used to head up a local Boy Scout troop and are greatful we each watched our sons reach the level of Eagle Scout.  This friend is a real fitness buff and I am not so much.  I was concerned keeping up with him on the slopes, stairs and dune walking but I held my own.  He did have to get a dig and say he was surprised I kept up so well for an old man.  Whatever...  There is a portion of a trail that walks along the lakefront beach for 1/2 a mile or so and a cold northwest wind was coming off the lake.  There is quite a bit of shore/shelf ice present.  I saw no boats out.  So, this morning, after devotions, I did a few tasks and tied a jig on one rod - a slip bobber rig on another rod and the third rod had a swivel for casting lures/spoons.  Lake Michigan has so much to offer this time of year.  Perch to the west and Lakers, Burbot, Browns, Coho's, smallies with a rare surprise walleye can be found off the rocks along the port.  With the amount of ice out there, I decided to target Burns Ditch where it enters the lake.  Surprisingly, there were 18 rigs out when I showed up at 1 pm.  I really thought it would be quiet by then.  Once launched, I navigated to the mouth of the ditch and there was quite a bit of ice blocking access to the big lake.  Regardless of the amount of ice jam, there are always people who chose to plow through to get out.  I saw at least a few rigs that I'm sure are in excess of $50,000 and probably pushing $80,000 slowly plow through the ice.  I was thinking... Going through those icebergs with the crashing and crunching noise all for the sake of a coho or two?  Possibly more money than sense... I decided not to push it and just drifted up against the ice and casted from there.  My efforts for casting all three presentations of jig/squid; slip bobber/squid and a KO Wobbler produced 3 keeper cohos, each between 17-18".  I talked with a lot of boaters that went by and no one was setting the world on fire.  Got home in time for a great chilli dinner and after cleaning fish, headed off to bible study.  A great day to be out and I would encourage all to start thinking in that direction.  The 10 day forecast looks promising and with common sense and an eye on safety, you can really enjoy a day on or near lake Michigan this time of year...

bigr

Re: Another beautiful February day...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2023, 05:08 AM »
Thank you, another good read and report.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:46 AM »
That's great you got out. This has not been a good winter if you like to ice fish.

My ponds should be ice free today. Just some slush barely hanging on. This will be the second ice out of the winter.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

BBLoon

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Thanks, Lund!

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:47 PM »
I appreciate the update Doc. Hopefully my rig will be done with the service and warranty work soon so I can get out there. I've been hearing a few really good reports of lakers and browns being had and would like to try it out sometime. Glad you had some time to enjoy your stroll with some good company !!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2023, 09:26 AM »
Enjoyed your post as always. I'm not a coho guy but a few years ago went out with a friend that loves those spring things and we limited out in no time, trolling HotnTots.
Good you got out and enjoyed yourself.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2023, 10:20 AM »
My ponds are ice free again even though temps dipped to 19 F. last night. Apparently the wind is keeping them open. I dare say what little ice fishing we may have had in my locale is over unless we get some freaky cold temps for a week or so.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jig_Head

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2023, 12:15 AM »
My ponds are ice free again even though temps dipped to 19 F. last night. Apparently the wind is keeping them open. I dare say what little ice fishing we may have had in my locale is over unless we get some freaky cold temps for a week or so.
I could start a topic about the dump I took this morning and you'd somehow bring up your ponds

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Thanks for the update, taxid!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

fishinator

« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2023, 04:10 PM »
I could start a topic about the dump I took this morning and you'd somehow bring up your ponds
hahahahaha

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2023, 05:22 PM »

Well my ponds are indicators of the ice conditions, and they are right outside my window to see. So I thought I'd pass it on. I haven't had much time to do any fishing whatsoever on the local lakes, so I don't know how they are fairing due to elderly parents that need my attention 24/7. If you've never had parents with serious health issues living with you, boy are you in for a wake up call. Your life is over as you knew it. I make the daily meals and it's one crisis after another. Forget about getting help. They don't want to come to our rural area and are in short supply.

So I'll stop bringing up the ponds.

LundProv

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:50 AM »
Taxid... Please continue to report and share information regarding your ponds and what you observe around your property.  I am not certain why people need to bash or comment negatively about someone else's contribution to a fishing post... possibly ego or pride or their need for attention... My heart goes out to you regarding the care for your parents. I have been there and done that but have very strong, devoted sisters who stepped up and filled the gap of my parents needing attention.  While we were in the thick of it, it seemed overwhelming at times but I was fortunate to have others share and assist within the family.  In hindsight, there was grief and strife but there was also opportunity to serve our parents and return some of the love and care they gave us for years.  I also think this phase of life gives you a growth opportunity of vulnerability realizing two things.  You have very little power or control on what ultimately happens to them and you realize that someday, you will most likely be in their position.  If possible, get your rest, go out and take a walk around your property, review your priorities at this stage of life and pray.  I admire what you are doing.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:24 AM »
Taxid... Please continue to report and share information regarding your ponds and what you observe around your property.  I am not certain why people need to bash or comment negatively about someone else's contribution to a fishing post... possibly ego or pride or their need for attention... My heart goes out to you regarding the care for your parents. I have been there and done that but have very strong, devoted sisters who stepped up and filled the gap of my parents needing attention.  While we were in the thick of it, it seemed overwhelming at times but I was fortunate to have others share and assist within the family.  In hindsight, there was grief and strife but there was also opportunity to serve our parents and return some of the love and care they gave us for years.  I also think this phase of life gives you a growth opportunity of vulnerability realizing two things.  You have very little power or control on what ultimately happens to them and you realize that someday, you will most likely be in their position.  If possible, get your rest, go out and take a walk around your property, review your priorities at this stage of life and pray.  I admire what you are doing.

Thank you for the kind words...  :azn:

abishop

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:28 AM »
Cecil, keep up the good work.

Daybreak

« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2023, 08:03 AM »
If I had ponds like Cecil's, I'd be sharing info too.  A good insight into what is going on elsewhere. I have fished one of them, by the way, and enjoyed the experience.  Keep us the good work Cecil!
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.