FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Discovery - Ancient Humans Tools Over 12,000 years old!  (Read 1701 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon

taxid

I thought that this was too fascinating not to share. And they didn't even had BPS!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1523014/archaeology-breakthrough-discovery-ancient-humans-fishing-rod-ancient-history-spt

Fascinating stuff. I read that somewhere in Ohio in shallow muck bottom backwaters of a river, Native American would pull a large rock behind a canoe to stir up the bottom, which would release gases to stun the fish so they could scoop them up. I can back that up as I have inadvertently done it with a seine in a pond as the bottom mudline stirs up the bottom.

We think we are so superior with our technology, but the Native Americans had it all figure out over thousands of years. If our power grid went down how many out there could start a fire by themselves or harvest food that wasn't at a supermarket? Or make their own tools to hunt or fish without modern technology or power?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
I don't know what I'd do without my Sonar or Trolling motor LOL.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Interesting read.
Neat old fishing hooks lines and sinkers they had back then. :)

Have any of you ever tried carving / making your own hooks out of wood, bone or stone?
If so, did you try them, and, how did they work for you? :-\

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Mac Attack

Back in the summer of 1970 my dad took me on a motorcycle trip to Washington, DC.  On the return we camped the night on the side of rt15 just south of Williamsport, PA at a small family rest stop.  Under the stars in a sleeping bag.
I wanted to fish!
My dad told me to “make it happen”.
I took the tie up draw strings out of both our sleeping bags, tied the 4 of them together, and tied a nut (bolt) about 8” or so from the end.  Then I found a safety pin in our tool kit and bent it into the shape of a hook with a pair of pliers.
I then rooted around in the rotting leaves under a tree and found some red worms.
I stood out in the Susquehanna on a rock tossing out that setup into a pool for an hour.  My dad calling me, saying it was getting dark and time to give up, and I hooked a smallmouth.  I never got it ashore, but felt like Daniel Boone.

taxid

Somebody saw you there Mac and came up with the idea for the television series MacGyver complete with part of the name.  Heard your dad yell to you, "Mac get your ass back up here. It's getting dark!"
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Somebody saw you there Mac and came up with the idea for the television series MacGyver complete with part of the name.  Heard your dad yell to you, "Mac get your ass back up here. It's getting dark!"

lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.