FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: If I need to by non-lead jig heads in Massachusetts...  (Read 1067 times)

taxid

are they readily available at Bait & Tackle stores or Walmart? It seems a few years ago when I was in Mass on vacation, lead under 1 ounce was prohibited then too, but Walmart was still selling lead which surprised me. But then again out my way baiting deer is illegal, but Walmart was still selling deer bait. That was until I happened to mention it in my outdoor column and the next time I was there it was gone.  :rotflol:

I'll be staying in Groton, Mass btw.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Re: If I need to by non-lead jig heads in Massachusetts...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2023, 04:32 PM »
Some of the bait stores near quabbin have tin jigheads and weights.  They suck.  I use keitech tungstun super round jigheads, but have to order them.  Since the no lead rule ive been checked 0 times.  Which is the same number of times a Mass epo has checked my license....

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2023, 04:51 PM »
Some of the bait stores near quabbin have tin jigheads and weights.  They suck.  I use keitech tungstun super round jigheads, but have to order them.  Since the no lead rule ive been checked 0 times.  Which is the same number of times a Mass epo has checked my license....

Thanks. I called Cabelas in Hudson (Berlin) and was told they don't sell non-lead jigs. She said they can sell lead jigs but you can't use them legally. She actually asked me if that made sense and I replied, "no."  :rotflol:

I guess I screwed up by not ordering them online sooner. I have some zinc jig heads I ordered last time, but they are on the big side. I'll have to check out the bait stores near Quabbin, which is fine as I will fish Quabbin at least one day anyway. Hopefully they have panfish size ones.

I've never been checked by Mass EPO ever either even when I lived there, but with my luck as soon as I tie on a lead jig one will show up.  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2023, 06:51 PM »
I often see non-lead jigs in the Orange Walmart, most often next to the Crappie jigs. If you are interested the Shad are still running around Turners Falls, they are a blast to catch when you get into them...

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2023, 08:09 PM »
If I was closer id bring you some. 

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2023, 09:03 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! I have found tungsten jigs at the local Walmart here in Indiana. No lead restrictions here but I find them here! Maybe all the Walmarts have them now as Stripernut said the Chinamart in Orange had them. A few years ago when I was in Mass Walmart did not.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2023, 09:27 PM »
Some do, some do not...

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2023, 12:02 AM »
Other route you can go is tungstun drop shot weights. 

Stik

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2023, 07:06 AM »
granite state rod and reel nashua.  joe. @ taxid.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2023, 09:16 AM »
Other route you can go is tungstun drop shot weights.

Yup!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2023, 09:16 AM »
granite state rod and reel nashua.  joe. @ taxid.

Thanks!

Stik

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2023, 09:29 AM »
not far from where your staying taxid   support mom and pop stores lotta knowledge there also

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2023, 03:26 PM »
not far from where your staying taxid   support mom and pop stores lotta knowledge there also

Oh for sure. Just don't want to be driving around looking for something no one has on vacation time. I've done that before in Mass. I know now to get my fishing license on line before I go. Only place I could find one one year was Walmart and I detest Walmart unless they are the only ones to have something.

Local Walmart said they had what I needed on their website and in stock so I drove a 46 mile round trip to get them. Didn't have them. Clerk said they needed to be ordered. Said they don't carry that brand and they are ordered. Would have been nice if the website would have said that.  ::) Fortunately I found what I needed at a local Amish bait store of all places. He said my state would be banning lead in the future too.

I'm ready to go!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.