FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: salmon trolling  (Read 4987 times)

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
salmon trolling
« on: Jul 26, 2005, 05:29 PM »
id like to do some salmon trolling in lake Ontario. i was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on what to use how to use it and an idea of depth? any help would be appreciated
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Re: salmon trolling
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Synergyboy10,
Don't know what you have for gear?  Sure wish I could help you out on Ontario, but I've never fished it. :'(  I have fished Superior and Michigan with great success...  Fished Superior religiously for 3 years, and assisting my uncle's charter service on Lake Michigan for about 10 years on and off.  I will give you a couple tips that may help you out?  If I were going into this body of water "blind", I'd do the following:
#1 Take a charter!  Don't pimp the charter by stealing his spot, but gather prospective locations, watch his or her technique carefully!!!!!!  You must examine the exact leader length, lure color, depth, speed, etc. to a tee!  These little tiny attributes have led to his success and should to yours.  Your really on board to learn all the tricks of the trade, and boat some nice fish. 
#2  Scope out the local port bait shop.  Try to stay away from your local shop if your 100 miles from the lake.  These guys may know some tips, but the meat of the information will be found at the port!  :blink:  Get colors, GPS locations of successful spots, talk depths speed and other key information.  Remember to make them sound like a fishing gods!  They'll feed you some tasty tips if you give them kudos relating to their success.  Most of their success as a bait shop relies on repeat customers like YOU.
#3   One technique that seemed to always work on both Great lakes that I fish is the following setup.  Downriggers, green/glow 11" Hot Spot flashers, 27" of leader (say for chinook), green and silver metallic spoons (for clear days) and glow/green spoons (for overcast days)  Go with the best local spoon imitating the bait, (Northpoints,  Luhr Jensens, Coho Killers, etc...stay away from "Cheesy" lures w/ little action) or other trolling spoons in same color.  Set the gear off the clip about 25 ft., Troll at 2 mph in a perscribed location, look for bait!!!, keep the riggers set at the bait level, and work it..... ;)  Early morning up high, (25-45 ft.)  proceed to lower about 10 ft. or so as the day progresses.  You must work the riggers and watch your graph closely.  I used cheap yellow bird planners too.  They work like a champ if your on a budget.  Drop back a couple deep diving raps with about 45-50 feet of line to clip.
I know there's a ton of information out there.  Seems to me, there's a gent here on MFF that was pretty successful on Ontario?  He had a mixed bag of bass to salmon?  I hope I didn't "dumb" you down!  I'm sure your experienced at trolling, and I bruised my fingers for nothing, (ramble, ramble, ramble..... :pinch:)  Let us know how you do!   ;D -Barleydog

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2005, 07:25 PM »
went out last night. wanted to stop at the bait shop but coulden arrived at the launch at 5 and just wanted to get out asap. i have tried everthing that i have read on ontario for reports in the last week and did not get a thing. used flies and spoons from 2 -2.9 mph.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Chucker

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Take a look at http://attheoak.com/.  They listen to radio traffic out of Point Breeze on Oak Orchard Creek, and post results throughout the day.  Might give you a good place to start for what people are doing a little ways east of Olcott.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2005, 06:35 PM »
hey mac i sent u a email.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2005, 09:19 PM »
sry. but anything would have help. thank you mac