FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New York State and World Record Perch  (Read 12607 times)

grumpymoe

Re: New York State and World Record Perch
« Reply #45 on: Oct 18, 2005, 04:11 PM »
Spent alot of time yesterday and today trying to find a reference Anywhere about this record.....I think we've been hoodwinked!!!.......Lonewolf??????are you there????....what do you think????...no tape with the card in the pic......DISQUALIFY IT.......Grump :flex: :flex: :flex:

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2005, 05:15 PM »
And so... Germ doesnt even have to look to see the hood winking going on..... Ya had me looking on the net though grump for any record or newsprint ,, before i read the rest of the posts just to see you guys say the same thing.... Firstly ... the kid is small... the rod is long and the fish is close to the camera (well i guess thats 3 points lol) AS to if he did catch it and he Caught it by fluke and only fished once his whole life... Hats off to him and it WOuldnt discoarge me one bit... Id like to think there is more out there... and to whom ever it was (cant remeber said) they seen 2 Count them 2 21 inch twins come out of the lake at once.... Saying it is nice... Bringing a picture to prove it... a whole other storie.... Cause Perch Like most fish will start to stomach out as they reach maz size then its all girth... so....  I think maybe A couple of beers into that fishing trip and Really it was one perch at 15 inches rather then twins at 21? did he say? LOl.... Oh well could happen... and i could also win the lottery:>:> ANyhow was fun to see the pic and TO try and find the THe news link to prove it was even more amusing... Thanks for the Momentary Heart attack... from the size of that perch... I almsot had to get a  bigger auger this year if they started to be 5 pounders.... LOL tight lines gang and if anyone can back this pic up with a news caption about it would be nice to see... TIght lines all!!!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2005, 06:24 PM »
When I first read the post, I thought it must be a joke, and started to look at it closer and see if I could spot somthing that would make it a fake. I missed the rod tip, but I thought it was strange that the other angler on the second dock could care less..if that was me I would be offering to take the photo and see if I could get in one as well. wouldnt you?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #48 on: Oct 18, 2005, 07:07 PM »
You guys are killin' me.

The pic was forwarded from a very reliable friend and co-worker of mine. An individual who takes fishing seriously. Relatives of his took the picture....it's real. The DEC supposedly issued a letter of certification for the size and weight (according to the originator of the email) I haven't seen it.

I do love it when the cybersluth fish detectives start up, though. We'll now have photoanalysis...... height, length, girth  and weight estimations of the fish,  the kid, the fisherman on the dock, the dock, boat and boat hoist. We'll do computer enhancement of the rod and jig to determine the manufacturer and eventually the model of the rod, diameter of the line and size of the snap swivel. We'll need to know the angle of the sun at that time of day to be sure it's not a giant green and black striped shadow.

Blah x 3

For what...to try and prove some lucky kid didn't catch a big fish.

It's not April 1st and I'm not out to fool anyone.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reubenpa

« Reply #49 on: Oct 18, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I don't see the arguments on the rod tip or the jig... the jig is a bass jig and grub and the rod tip is obviously close to the camera enough that it would distort the look of the rod enough and if you look at the low end rods you would see that the taper of distance between eyelets aren't than much....  

My question is.......    That reel looks small and the rod doesn't look big... and actually that perch (fish) doesn't look entirely like a perch nor does it look 26 inches and how many of you guys have lifted a 5 lb fish up from the handle of the rod.   I have a med-hvy action rod and a 3.5 lb bass is really hard to lift out of the water. and how many kids that size would be able to lift a 2 lber up like that without a trace of struggle while holding only the handle of the rod..

That would be awesome though
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

fishshack

« Reply #50 on: Oct 18, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I don't believe it. 26 inches is a Huge largemouth bass. It HAS to be a fake.

grumpymoe

« Reply #51 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:14 PM »
time to waffle... ;D ;D...its real!!!   ;D ;D...well maybe not...then...maybe its a real world record   ;D ;D.....whatever it turns out to be....its been a post for much discussion and debate......Grump........ :blink: :blink:

devil-man

« Reply #52 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:24 PM »
For what...to try and prove some lucky kid didn't catch a big fish.

LOL  :D
We're not trying to prove anything, RG.
We're just a bunch of (somewhat) literate PC skeptics who have seen such things before.
Even I can wield the powers of Photoshop, and you have to admit, some of these arguments have been legitimate...
Is your friend a prankster?  ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:46 PM »
D-Man,
Nah..he's a great guy.....with nothing to gain.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #54 on: Oct 18, 2005, 09:49 PM »
I've got it. Its not a kid but actually a midget.  ;)

The lack of info about this being a state/ world record anywhere else on the web has me a bit skeptical though. Nothing mentioned on the NY DEC pages or on the IFGA website about it being a world record. I highly doubt if it were that neither site would have any info since the IFGA post potential records awaiting certifications if I'm not mistaken.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #55 on: Oct 18, 2005, 10:32 PM »
i'll call the DEC tomorrow to see if i can get any clarification on this!

Big Zig

« Reply #56 on: Oct 19, 2005, 08:09 AM »
I do love it when the cybersluth fish detectives start up, though. We'll now have photoanalysis...... height, length, girth  and weight estimations of the fish,  the kid, the fisherman on the dock, the dock, boat and boat hoist. We'll do computer enhancement of the rod and jig to determine the manufacturer and eventually the model of the rod, diameter of the line and size of the snap swivel. We'll need to know the angle of the sun at that time of day to be sure it's not a giant green and black striped shadow.

What bothers you more - the fact that people do that, or the fact that it's do-able?
The 'net is a great place - both for the fabricators and the fact finders.
Without discrediting your friend, it would make more sense that the picture was captioned for a conversation piece - which it obviously is.

Human nature is to believe what can be seen. For one reason or ten, no one's seeing this being what it's said to be. Too many before you tarnished the possibility of this being for real - touch a hot stove enough times, you'll tend to shy away from it.

BTW - That perch record from Maine in 1949 was a white perch. Interesting no one challenged that originally.
RG - I threw that in to prove a point originally. That facts were correct, with some pertainent info left out on purpose. Take that for what it's worth to you - it proves that people only believe what they see, not what they read or hear.

I'm rootin' for the little guy - show us what we need to see.......................

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #57 on: Oct 19, 2005, 02:30 PM »
i'll call the DEC tomorrow to see if i can get any clarification on this!

well, i called!!! 
hate to burst everyones bubble, but as far as i got was giving some people on the phone a good laugh for the day!
first i called the DEC region 7 office... they told me that they have nothing on record. also told me that the last recorded perch for NYS was 3#8oz. that was caught from lake erie in 1982! and said that information was just updated as of august of 2005!  he then referred me to the NYS bureau of fisheries...
they had a good laugh in the office passing the info around, did some research for me anyways and came up empty-handed! they then referred me to the cornell university/onieda lake field station. very nice people there, but all they could do is confirm the 1982 lake erie record. they did say however that they know there are big perch in this particular lake, but highly and safely assumed that there are none as large as i stated!  they basically said that its not exactly impossible, but quite unlikely!

well, i did my homework... take it for what its worth! ;)

archbishop

« Reply #58 on: Oct 19, 2005, 03:30 PM »
come on guys, with all the fishermen from that area that are on this site, do you really believe a fish like that that was caught on memorial day (5 months ago) is just being heard of now? its about as real as michael jackson's nose ;D

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #59 on: Oct 19, 2005, 05:41 PM »
WEll... Yes were SKeptical of the picture... becasue of the None exsisting facts to back it up... Now... IF you had have  seen the FIsh firsthand.. I wouldnt be here arguing this... I wouls simply say wow.. Hey make sure they get this into records...... becasue we know YOu from here... (as much as we can know someone lol) ANyhow But this being a friend of urs.... ALso Adds some doubt.... We dont know him from adam.... SO.... This being said....  I Myself personally.... Have had  and do have one in the freezer  which Is long,. a perch  ... When i caught it i thought dang thats got to Be like 18 inches... sadly.... It wasnt no where to that length.... ANyhow (glad i thought of this casue now I can Remeber to get it stuff lol...) ok ANyhow Regarding length is hard to Know sometimes and without having a ruler and nothing to compare it to ... Really Makes us all doubt the size.... ALso... Like i know there must be  some whopper perch out there and have seen some While ice fishing under the ice... but Knowing that Its rare to see them in the 15 length nemvermind 16 or 17.... Then to add like 10 more inches on to that.... GOt to Make us Think...hmmmm THis is fake.... ALso..good points were made regarding the weight Versus the Kid holding it....5 pound Perch would Give that kid a strain... and he dont look like he eats his wheeties... lol... anyhow was a great discussion and Seriously I hope im wrong....I hope it is a world record... will make me re-evaluate My Thinking.... WIth that... HAs anyone Heard that the Easter Bunny is real? Seriously? I heard he weighs 5 pounds... lol.... JJ... tight lines all!!! Sorry RG had to do it lol....
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.