FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dock Fishing  (Read 11252 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Dock Fishing
« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:26 AM »
Well this thread has taken a twist.

When I think of dock fishing I'm thinking about the people who gather at public places to fish.

Canandaigua Pier, Seneca Lake State Park, Sampson State Park, Watkins Glen, Sodus Point, Genesee River, Irondequoit Bay etc......and all the little spots that shore fishers look to in the spring finding panfish as they move to warmer, shallow waters.

I was taught the fine art of "bobber jigging" by my mentor and fishing partner "the old man". He showed me the when, where and how to do it. I'm good at it  ;D I enjoy the social aspects of it. 

There's some locally famous characters that frequent the docks in spring. "Old Stan" is one I got to know over the years. He was in his late 70's when I was first  introduced by "the old man". He was a fisherman to watch. The man could see a bluegill's sniff of the bait and generally out caught everyone around by 5 to 1.

The first time I parked myself on a dock near him was a quiet day at the Inland Marina on the Seneca River. He glanced over with a scowl and went back to pulling in gills. I said "howdy Stan" and his old eyes squinted til he recognized me and returned a wave.

I was having trouble seeing the bite and was missing a lot of fish. He got off his bucket and went to his car to change jigs. Next thing I heard was a grumbling voice behind me saying "Huh! Another guy that can't see a bite...You gonna catch that fish or what?" He walked out on the dock  I was fishing and gave me some over the shoulder schooling. I began to catch on.

Our friendship was sealed with a few of my Crystal Flash Scuds on a day I was outfishing the man. He changed jigs no less than 10 times before coming over to socialize (and see what the heck I was using). I was honored.

In his late 80's now and having recently lost his wife of 50+years, he doesn't fish much any more. Still drives out to a marina on Lake Ontario a couple of times a week to feed the ducks.

That's what I mean by dock fishing ;)
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigdave1018

« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:37 AM »
god bless you, rg. im always looking for anyone to fish with. i use to fish the westside pier in fair haven untill the state put blockades and gates because of non fishers using and abusing the area. i suffer from rhum. arthiritis real bad so my long walking to get to my fav. fishing hole are over. i cant tell you how many days that ive fished alone just looking for another fisher to fish with. later.

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Rg,
It looks like things took a twist from your original intentions but sometimes spin offs are good. I like your story about Stan. I often have more fun fishing the docks and piers than anywhere and have met some true characters. Story telling of the past that we will never see are priceless. And yes, they do tend to have their tricks to catching fish.
Today out on the ice I had 3 guys come over one at a time that I know from the docks and Ice.  One was in his 80's another 70's and the third young and spry at 62.  I am the youngster of the "rat pack" (early 50's) We had ball talking and catching fish. I had to hold my laughter in when others would walk over and the ice rods mysteryously went dead. I also was shown their little tackle boxes once again and how this lure or that lure "killed the fish" on such and such a lake in years past. Truely enjoyable fishing with those guys and they know how to fish and catch em too. I look forward to the next warm night when they will be over to fish bullheads off my dock.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

fishon

« Reply #48 on: Mar 23, 2004, 10:15 AM »
I enjoy fishing docks throughout the open water season.  I put a section or 2 of my dock in at Honeoye as soon as the ice leaves.  Last year, I bought a 150 watt work light that was in a bargain bin at Walmart.  Just after dark about 2 days after iceout, I turned it on illuminating the dock.  Within 1/2 hour, I was pulling in slab crappie one after the other on small jigs by cating to the edge of the dock from shore.
In the summer and fall, I frequently pull nice largemouth out from under docks on sunny days by skipping Gitzits or plastic worms way up under the docks.
Good luck to all.
Norm

gone

« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:58 PM »
im getting big rockies at seneca lake south end at the dock just at dark all you can get  :) :) gone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.