FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rainbows with Ford Fender  (Read 6806 times)

adipose

Rainbows with Ford Fender
« on: Apr 04, 2006, 10:19 AM »
where i live up here in Sask.Canada we have a lake with 30lb. bows in the LK.My personal best is only 9lb.So of coarse im after "THE BIG ONE"
I have had a lot of luck trolling with a Ford Fender for bows but i know if i want to get a larger bow im gonna have to resort to different tactics either with the Ford Fender going deeper or try something else.
So i guess my question of the day is
=what is the best way to get this ford fender down deeper?
=what should i put behind the FF
=the instructions say to put a weight on the rudder of the ff to get it to go deep but when i do this,the action goes away and the blades stop spinning.How else can i get this ff to go deep and not loose the action?
=what else will catch large rainbow in deep water?

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
Re: Rainbows with Ford Fender
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2006, 08:56 AM »
try a diffrent model finder like a 2006 or the new super duity ;) :whistling:
Loren .W.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2006, 10:27 AM »
The problem is you are using a Found
                                                 On
                                                 Road
                                                 Dead

Try using a Chevy.

Seriously though have you thought about large lake clear wobblers. Are you using a down rigger? Fish finder? WHat are you using as bait?

adipose

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2006, 04:18 PM »
The problem is you are using a Found
                                                 On
                                                 Road
                                                 Dead

Try using a Chevy.

Seriously though have you thought about large lake clear wobblers. Are you using a down rigger? Fish finder? WHat are you using as bait?

I have used the ford fender set up for yrs and have good luck with it.I have no fish finder.I do not use a downrigger.people catch these fish (20lbers etc) with just standard tackle.I met a diver who stated to me that these larger fish have cisco inside of them when he spear fishes for them.cisco is a baitfish that live in our province.Tell me what a clear lake wobbler is and perhaps ill try one this spring?

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2006, 05:49 PM »
adkRoy  ---> The only thing that you would catch with a Chevy is a sucker!!  ;D

esox slayer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2006, 05:55 PM »
adkRoy  ---> The only thing that you would catch with a Chevy is a sucker!!  ;D

Or somebody with questionable "preferences" like Jeffie Gordon.......Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

rainbow

• life is short...... go fishing.....
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:07 PM »
where i live up here in Sask.Canada we have a lake with 30lb. bows in the LK.My personal best is only 9lb.So of coarse im after "THE BIG ONE"
I have had a lot of luck trolling with a Ford Fender for bows but i know if i want to get a larger bow im gonna have to resort to different tactics either with the Ford Fender going deeper or try something else.
So i guess my question of the day is
=what is the best way to get this ford fender down deeper?
=what should i put behind the FF
=the instructions say to put a weight on the rudder of the ff to get it to go deep but when i do this,the action goes away and the blades stop spinning.How else can i get this ff to go deep and not loose the action?
=what else will catch large rainbow in deep water?
             lindy rig stillfishing with a air injected worm from an anchored boat or shore

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2006, 07:05 AM »
A lake clear wobbler is a flashy spoon (silver or gold) that you tie to your line then tie a leader from it back about 12-18 inches and put your bait on a hook. Works great for trolling ponds with brookies.

fastribs85

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Or somebody with questionable "preferences" like Jeffie Gordon.......Esox

chevy=gm= general mistake trust me i work for ford.

personally i would use one of those fancy new fusion fenders tip it with a piece of goodyear and jig it vertically over a pile og General Mistakes in about 300 fow
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Adipose, try two lures that match what they are feeding on like the larger sizes of jointed rapala or original in rainbow trout and the salmo whitefish, it looks like a cisco. You can troll them as they are or add some of the larger rubber core sinkers to get to the depths.
The storm wildeyes in rainbow trout pattern should work to for the big ones to. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

adipose

« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:43 AM »
thanks their WW but i think im gunna have ta get a downrigger setup.These larger trout are down there!way down there.But they also must come up at differrent times........maybe at night.I have tried a dippsy diver in front of the ford fender but then i need a strongarm just to hang on to the rod.So the downrigger is the answer i believe

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2006, 11:16 PM »
The crankbaits should work well on a downrigger also try the Mepps syclops in rainbow trout color, the Willams Wabler in brooktrout, half gold/half silver color or Len Thompson in rainbow.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hey if depth is your key try a dipsey diver with a spoon on the leader. Use a legnth of leader short than the length of the rod. This will allow you land the fish better. If the fish are line shy use the longer leader, but make sure you have a longer handle net for landing.

I will be trying for some larger bows in a smaller lake this weekend and the diver was my plan and some old spoons from lake ontario we once used. They shoud be some pike or larger trout (in theory) Will post be the results later, hopefully we will have a lunker for the contest to post.
Best of luck getting down deep, if you go with a down rigger try using two lines off one cable at two depths.
Let me see if I can find the link to it!

Internet heros give it a rest!

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.