FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: remote adk ponds  (Read 90089 times)

1smoked_brooklyn

Re: remote adk ponds
« Reply #330 on: Apr 15, 2016, 01:56 PM »
yeah i get that, but without a lot of experience......I am assuming that most of the trails to these ponds are not just a flat walk in the woods ;D  I have wheels.       also......do you think wading is widespread?       arent most of the shorelines....mushy muddy boggy etc?

also what is the deal with "boats" being left at remote ponds for "public" use........just carry in paddle?      how common is this?

if people would rather pm thats ok i get it.

I've seen boats on the shore before many times but they are always chained and padlocked to a tree.. Never seen one left for "public" use. If you find one that you're able to use for the day that isn't locked up, I'd call that a lucky day.

bigfish1212

« Reply #331 on: Apr 15, 2016, 02:21 PM »
I do some shore fishing and wading, but yes, the canoe mostly. Wheels make the world go 'round...   ;)
Yesterday was the first trip with new cart, I definitely like it but I think for some trails that have too many big boulders my pack might be the better way to go.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #332 on: Apr 15, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Some are muddy. Some are boulders. Every pond is different. The trails are definitely NOT just a flat walk, but if you want to get off the shoreline, you either carry or dolly a canoe, kayak, float tube, or inflatable. It's not easy. That's what makes it what it is.  ;D

It is illegal nowadays to leave a boat or canoe in the Adirondack Park. Although it happens, I definitely wouldn't count on hiking into a pond and finding one to use.  :-[
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Tom Hannock

« Reply #333 on: Apr 15, 2016, 02:59 PM »
fishnmachine, are those chicken tractors for meat birds or layers?  I don't see any birds in them?
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #334 on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:29 PM »
fishnmachine, are those chicken tractors for meat birds or layers?  I don't see any birds in them?
Good eye! That was last spring.
Both. We hatch our own chicks each year. Once they're out of the brooder we put a dozen in each tractor. In the fall we put the cockerels in the freezer and the hens in the hen house to keep a mix of young layers going. Those tractors are built to fit between the rows in the garden. The chicks eat the weeds and bugs, keep the soil scratched up, and fertilize all at the same time.  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

perchgypsy

« Reply #335 on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:55 PM »
I've noticed my wheels are better close to the front of the canoe and I pick up the back end and push....all my weight goes right over the wheels and seems like less effort...miss the woods a ton this yr already...injury has kept me from the hike last yr and so far this yr...it's killing me...good luck guys

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #336 on: Apr 15, 2016, 04:19 PM »
I've tried that and I've also tried the complete opposite. With the wheels in the back it feels heavier.  With the wheels in the front it feels like I'm always bent over. It's just me but I like the canoe balanced.  I feel less weight that way and I can just pull.  Heck, I'm half mule anyway.  ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #337 on: Apr 15, 2016, 04:33 PM »
I had pondered doing my first overnight this season on Saturday, but I bought a kayak off Craigslist and its going to take me half a day tomorrow to go and get it.  Maybe Sunday......  ;D

1smoked_brooklyn

« Reply #338 on: Apr 15, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Nice old sportspal, bigfish1212! I have the same one!! Looks like you have the same cart and yellow ratchet straps that I use as well! Lol that's funny to see I swore it was a picture of my gear at first glance. I agree with you about big boulders and such in the trail, but if you have a buddy with you it's usually not too bad to lift over them.. Some trails are harder than others.. Most in the moose river plains like Beaver Lake are actually quite easy but then there are others that will break your back!

bigfish1212

« Reply #339 on: Apr 15, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Yeah I found myself having to pick it up to get it over some big rocks so it didn't tip. Definitely would of been easier with another person.There is some trails I think I will still use the pack I built (just a metal frame pack that I attached u-bolts to that the thwart rests in) if I am by myself.

1smoked_brooklyn

« Reply #340 on: Apr 15, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Interesting idea with the u bolts on the thwart.. Any pictures of that?? Is it sort of like a yoke?? Ive noticed myself that the sportspal is extremely light considering its size.. And for how old it is, its impressive.

bigfish1212

« Reply #341 on: Apr 15, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Here is a picture with a buddy of mine with it on last year. Like I said the thwart is set in two u-bolts on the top of the pack, the boat naturally is balanced off center so I put the lighter side forward and use lines from the front to keep it balanced. To make it hands free I attached two clothesline tensioners to the pack to hold the lines.

pacbasket

« Reply #342 on: Apr 16, 2016, 04:18 AM »
nice set up

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #343 on: Apr 16, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Yesterday was the first trip with new cart, I definitely like it but I think for some trails that have too many big boulders my pack might be the better way to go.

my set up is like yours ,only i have a radisson 14ft sq back 44lb.BUT i can not use it now. so i use a float tube
on my short [under 2 miles] trips
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #344 on: Apr 16, 2016, 10:42 AM »
nice set up
i like that set up also,what is the weight???,may give that a try
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT