FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 565744 times)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3255 on: Jun 12, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Bluegillonafly...

Those are two very unique photos! I would have a couple prints made and frame them as a set! I've been jonesing to get out gilling myself but can't seem to make it happen lately with other things going on. Thought about it today but the winds here have been HORRENDOUS (20-25mph) all day long. Oh well, still lots of time. I did get out a little while ago on a neighbors pond and for kicks I took my first fly rod ever, my Fenwick FF806 glass rod. Had to slow my timing down but after a little bit I was putting out a decent line. Had fun with the Bass but not much gill action that day. I did have one tyrant I never got a look at break me off because my tippet was pretty light (4lb) but I had a lot of fun none the less.

Fishing with my glass rod stirred some old memories and because I've been sitting on Cabela's gift cert my kids gave me for Christmas, I broke down yesterday and ordered one of their CGR glass fly rods and one of their Wind River series reels to go with it. I now have a 7' 4/5wt 3pc (570-3) rod and matching reel on their way.  ;D

Both the rod and reel had very favorable reviews and not just on the Cabela's site so I just couldn't pass up the deal.

There was a Father's Day promo going on with free shipping on orders over $99 so I ordered some backing to make up the difference and a had to chip a little bit off the points I have accumulated to cover the tax, but I'm nothing out of pocket once the dust settled. The only downside is the rod is on back order until August. Oh well, for that price I can wait, it's not like I don't have other rods to play with! They dangled that carrot out there and apparently a lot of folks went for it as soon as the sale started.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3256 on: Jun 14, 2016, 03:00 AM »
Last Saturday I got out for an hour on my backyard stream before e skies turned black and all heck broke loose. Top water gills one after the other.

I have a Fenwick FF856 in my collection. It's a replacement to the first fly rod I ever bought. I completely wore out the first one and decided to search for another a couple years back. Found a pristine specimen on EBay for what seemed a reasonable price. They will definitely slow you down but are a pure pleasure to fish. When you think about a line for your new glass, look into Cortland Sylk. I have a couple I use on my glass and boo rods. They run a bit light so I tend to go up a weight. Get a DT in Mustard color and you'll be happy ;D Very well suited for slower rods.

I gave my new 10' 6wt a workout  from the boat a week ago. I've never cast a 10' fly rod and the results were amazing. It roll casts like a dream. I still like IM-6 blanks better than any other.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3257 on: Jun 14, 2016, 01:56 PM »
I'll keep that in mind Rg...

I read up on the sylk lines and they got a lot of mixed reviews. Some folks loved em' and some hated em'...like anything else I guess. I was planning on lining it with a Cortland 444 Peach DT5. From all I read about this particular rod, it really shines with a 5wt line.

I forgot to mention earlier, my Mrs. and her Sis went yard saleing Saturday and when she got home she said "I have a surprise for you". She was talking with an older Gent at a sale he was having and he had some misc. tackle so she mentioned that she was learning to fly fish with me. He said "Well, I might have something for you" and came back a few minutes later with a fly rod, reel, and line ready to go. He told her, "you're just getting started so you may as well have this" and gave her the outfit.

It's nothing special... a Korean made Eagle Claw 8'6 graphite rod for 6/7 line with a Japanese copy of a Pflueger 1495. The reel had plenty of backing and what appears to be a cheap, white WF line on it. I tore the reel down and cleaned it, converted it to left hand wind, and reversed the backing and fly line. I cast it a bit in the yard and wasn't too impressed. I think the stripper and snake guides are too small because the line doesn't seem to flow through them smoothly. I also think the line may be a 5wt as the rod doesn't load well either.

But for free??? WTH ;D

WK

MattyP123

« Reply #3258 on: Jun 14, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I'll keep that in mind Rg...

I read up on the sylk lines and they got a lot of mixed reviews. Some folks loved em' and some hated em'...like anything else I guess. I was planning on lining it with a Cortland 444 Peach DT5. From all I read about this particular rod, it really shines with a 5wt line.

I forgot to mention earlier, my Mrs. and her Sis went yard saleing Saturday and when she got home she said "I have a surprise for you". She was talking with an older Gent at a sale he was having and he had some misc. tackle so she mentioned that she was learning to fly fish with me. He said "Well, I might have something for you" and came back a few minutes later with a fly rod, reel, and line ready to go. He told her, "you're just getting started so you may as well have this" and gave her the outfit.

It's nothing special... a Korean made Eagle Claw 8'6 graphite rod for 6/7 line with a Japanese copy of a Pflueger 1495. The reel had plenty of backing and what appears to be a cheap, white WF line on it. I tore the reel down and cleaned it, converted it to left hand wind, and reversed the backing and fly line. I cast it a bit in the yard and wasn't too impressed. I think the stripper and snake guides are too small because the line doesn't seem to flow through them smoothly. I also think the line may be a 5wt as the rod doesn't load well either.

But for free??? WTH ;D

WK
Can't beat free!
Tied up a few balloon caddis a few days ago and finally got to test them this afternoon on some wild browns... They get a  :thumbup_smilie:. easy pattern and they catch & float well. Put them in your box  ;)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3259 on: Jun 15, 2016, 03:53 PM »
The Cabela's Wind River reel I ordered came in the mail today. Pretty decent reel for $25 and still available for that price through the 19th if anyone's interested.

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3260 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:45 PM »
That's what I need......another fly reel :-\

I think there's 20 something fly reels in the collection.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchgypsy

« Reply #3261 on: Jun 15, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Rg another fly reel means another rod to build....hey sure you could find some room for that
you can use 20 something reels before you could use 20 something bird houses  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3262 on: Jun 16, 2016, 04:34 AM »
The bird houses I'll sell....the reels are like my children. I think it's against the law to sell your children.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3264 on: Jun 18, 2016, 07:39 AM »
Even bass like a nice Martini once in a while.

Fun morning on the boat till the weekend warriors showed up.

Rg

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3265 on: Jun 18, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Bob....what's that bead(?) in front of your double maftini......Secret technique?
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3266 on: Jun 19, 2016, 03:02 AM »
Thingamabobber,

Great little strike indicators.

Lots of fly eating debris around the shorelines. Keeps the fly in the zone.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3267 on: Jun 19, 2016, 08:37 AM »
personally I prefer  strafoam ones  but a lot of guys like those
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3268 on: Jun 19, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Rg,

Do you prefer the peg style as you've shown over the original thingamabobber? Just curious...

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3269 on: Jun 19, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Yeah I do. I peg them onto the furled leader. They stay put and don't really affect he cast much.

Hey....happy Father's Day to all you old farts.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.