FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: RANT: where do the bases go?  (Read 8197 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
RANT: where do the bases go?
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:07 AM »
So I've been on the hunt for a set of good, real downriggers lately but I can't afford new ones so I'm searching on Craigslist. Can I please rant for a quick minute? WHERE DO ALL THE MOUNTING BASES GO? 9 out of 10 downriggers for sale do not include the mounting bases- ARE THEY ALL STOLEN? Where would the bases end up? WHO OWNS DOWNRIGGERS without mounting bases? I mean they are 100% useless without a way to mount them to the boat- so where do they go?

If anyone can explain to me the reason a set of riggers would not have mounting bases I would love to hear it. Boggles my mind.

Ok, I'm done. Freekin' Craigslist.

Mac Attack

Re: RANT: where do the bases go?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:30 AM »
Some people sell the boat and leave the bases on it rather than the holes the bases created.

And, yes, many are stolen.

I have locks for mine.

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:54 PM »
 ::) ???  I just checked Ebay and they had manual Big Jon riggers with and without bases and they had a number of separate bases?
Dick

MikeF-NH

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:23 PM »
I think also that some bases work for several models (I'm thinking Canon). Someone might buy a lake troll and upgrade to a different DR but the bases are still useable. Of course I think that bases come with the DR new in the box but if they buy used....and used doesn't have bases...they may sell their older systems without bases. Both of my DRs came to me for free through friends cleaning out old stuff and neither had a base. I'm surprised how expensive new bases are.

BarringtonBrad

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Lol I don't know where they go but I can tell you that dover marine has separate cannon bases for sale,just seen them the other day

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Oh they all sell the bases separately for sure- NOT CHEAP. I'm just amazed how many are on Craigslist with no bases. I'm getting over it.

dickbaker

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:57 PM »
 ???   Jethro what have you gotten so far?    I would have only started with Big Jon manual and gone from there??
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 04:31 AM »
I was looking on the CL too, because  if you want to do 4 riggers the cost adds up very quickly....

Jethro

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:33 AM »
???   Jethro what have you gotten so far?    I would have only started with Big Jon manual and gone from there??
Dick

I have only used Cannon Easy-Troll downriggers on my buddies boat so I would be interested in hearing why you like the Big Jon riggers? I have not bought anything yet.

dickbaker

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 01:04 PM »
after decades getting to using a variety of down riggers I found the Big Jon riggers to be the most trustworthy hardy.    Fishing on Lake Ontario for many years all of my guides used Big Jon riggers.   An interesting fact is that the Captain's Pack manual has a retrieve rate faster than an electric?
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 01:08 PM »
 ???Jethro , just what do you have for a boat?  Specifically your gunnel design?
Dick

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 01:25 PM »
im a fan of the big jons as well, but if you take the boat into the salt at all dont take those.if your looking for bigjohn electrics keep an eye out for fishlanders, alot of the parts are interchangeable and the fishlanders have updated features. they are not available anymore but bigjon has the parts. i like the big jon style for the tip up feature, very handy on my boat. used to have 2 manual bigjon captain packs but have been running 4 fishlander captain pac electrics going on 12 years now. @dickbaker, why dont you like the electrics, i like being able to click the up buttons when running into shallows, wish i had all 4 tied into one switch panel ;D

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Re: electric riggers,
It's pretty much a Ford, Chevy thing.

I've used them all. Big John's have the lifting booms which is nice. They do have a heavier boom option which is a lot better, but I haven't seen many? The stock booms are pretty chinzy. The auto stops are even more so!

Cannon's are fine if you don't mind reaching way over the gunnels or swinging them to the side every time you use them. The cable retrievers are fine, I guess. The bottom sensor Cannons (forget the name cuz I have CRS) are great if you don't mind the above and they are working. They have been known to spend a lot of time in the shop.

The simplest, most dependable, and arguably the fastest are Scotties!
They have booms that lift, but are much heavier made then the BJ's.
You can put a 20# ball on a Scotty and in rough seas it wont bounce up and down like a BJ does with an 8# ball in a salmon chop. No power is used when the ball goes down! It has a clutch handle that you can release slower then a second hand goes around, or as fast as any other electric rigger and everywhere in between.
Scotties bring up balls as fast as any of them and faster then most. They have an auto stop "bead" that you can put anywhere on the cable or multiple places on the cable. In addition to the auto stop, they have a green button in the middle of the auto stop that you can push for minor upward adjustments (as little or much as you want).
Another really nice feature is that these "up" buttons are on top of the rigger for easy view and handling.  
You don't have to reach under and around rod holders to go up or down. And you don't have to have lighting reflexes to put the release at the depth you want it. Another great feature is that in the rare instance you need to work on these Scotties, you just turn a tab on the top and lift the lid. Everything I ever needed to work on in 12 years with 4 Scotties, is under that lid looking at you. All I ever needed was a screw driver to adjust an idler pulley. That was done while fishing.  ;)  

As far as I can tell, the only reason people buy BJ's is cuz they never used a Scotty.    

after decades getting to using a variety of down riggers I found the Big Jon riggers to be the most trustworthy hardy.    Fishing on Lake Ontario for many years all of my guides used Big Jon riggers.   An interesting fact is that the Captain's Pack manual has a retrieve rate faster than an electric?
Dick

??? ???
Dick, I almost hate to say this, but nothing could be further from the truth!  
Big John's are the least "hardy" rigger of the top three.
Not at all the most most trustworthy!

"All of my guides used BJR's".     How many guides have you had?

Cannon's were the first and far away the biggest on the great lakes block.
Their popularity is fast waning with all the mother board issues they have with the guides that use them almost daily.
Yes, there are some BJ's used still out there.
The Scotties are one of the newer riggers out there (but not new by any stretch) and one of the most popular.
Just walk down the docks at any major Lake O port, including where the guides are. Let me know what the most popular riggers are?  

fishlessman

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:17 AM »
@ Seahunt, never seen the scotty but the lifting boom makes it really user friendly. i actually like how the bigjon/fishlander boom bounces in a fair chop as i catch more off the long bouncing boom than i do with my shorter one. theres two big problems with bigjons though, salt eats them and parts are expensive. since i stopped leaving them on the boat when fishing the salt ive had zero problems. i would probably go scotty as well over the cannons though because of the lifting boom, makes it easier to leave the ball in the water, set up a clip on the cable, and drop the boom away from the transducers

ericbres

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:33 AM »
I guess this explains why I got full price for my downriggers when I sold them on Craigslist ...  I sold them WITH bases  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.