FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 525074 times)

SKUNK-MASTER

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1605 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I tried to do that this year but the plants produced like crazy then died out....even some later plantings died off?

unfortunately i did 22 jars of pickles with the Mrs Wages.....they came out way too salty.......almost inedible  ???

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1606 on: Aug 23, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Inspired by Dom!

;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1607 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Thats to bad with the pickles SKUNK-MASTER...

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1608 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Sure looks good Bill...     ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1609 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Ouch!
Gave up on Mrs Wages after the first batch a couple years ago.

If I didn't have roasted baby red potatoes, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes from the garden and a fat strip steak on the Weber for dinner........I'd be hungry😀

Wonder if pickles and cukes just need a certain amount of light to grow their big fat leaves and fruit.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1610 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I had to throw out an entire batch of salsa.
WAY too bitter for some reason.
Maybe 12-15 qts.
Down the kitchen disposal in the sink.
I tried adding some sugar.
Added more tomatoes.
Nothing worked.

A real shame.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1611 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Ouch. That stinks!   :(
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1612 on: Aug 25, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Many is the chef whose tossed an imperfect dish.

One time I spent two days making what was to be a perfect chicken soup. I prepared the stock, strained, clarified and separated. Took it to the sink to make one more pass through the cheesecloth in the collendar and poured it right down the drain. Forgot to put a pan under the colander.

I muttered a string of expletives that would send a sailor for cover.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1613 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:17 PM »
There was the time, and my bride will never let me forget, that I made a meatloaf. We had ground pork and I thought, hmmm, pork, hmm, pork likes sweet. So I added some maple syrup.   :nono:
Never put maple syrup in meatloaf!!!  :sick:

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1614 on: Aug 26, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Chickens have been busy so I pickled some cackle berries.

;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1615 on: Aug 26, 2017, 04:00 PM »
That looks good...   How do you boil your fresh eggs so the shells come off easy?   I have a heck of a time.....

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1616 on: Aug 26, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I start them covered in cold water. Bring to a rolling boil. Put a lid on the pot and take them off the heat. Let them sit covered for 12-18 minutes then run cold water over them until they're cold. Works pretty good but I did end up with 6 that became egg salad. Part of that could be because of my big dumb fingers too.    ;D

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1617 on: Aug 26, 2017, 09:17 PM »

They look amazing ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1618 on: Aug 26, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Thanks. Let's hope they're good. I'll find out in about 10 days.   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1619 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:40 AM »
Love pickled eggs.....they don't love me though. Talk about an old fart :sick: :sick: :sick:

Anyhooo.......my latest garden acquisition.

It's a White chipper shredder. Has a 5 hp Briggs flathead. I picked it up for $100 from a local tractor dealer. It was part of an estate sale and hadn't run in a long time. It had good compression and spark so I knew the motor would run.

Yesterday I stripped it down to remove the gas tank and clean it. I also installed a pipe and a couple of fittings to provide an oil drain. The only way to change the oil was to let it run all over the deck.  The fuel in it was really gummy and amber looking. Had that really old gas smell if you know what I mean. I flushed out the tank a few times, stuck it back together and filled it with fresh gas. Didn't want to take off on its own yet, but a little gas in the carb and it ran like a champ. So today it's remove the carb again and give it a thorough cleaning.

It's a pulse jet carb so it actually pumps gas into a bowl/reservoir inside the tank and then up into the carb intake. I guess it's probably to avoid a lean mixture as the tank empties and the fuel pump has to work harder.

The thing is built like a tank for sure. Everything is 3/16 steel. Once it runs well, I'll pull the cutter head and go through it. With all the garden waste and branches I accumulate from the 2 properties I tend, it'll be a welcome addition to my landscaping arsenal.

Love a good tinkering project. I get lost in the shop. Totally engrossed in what I'm doing. If it works as well as I think it's going to, it'll get a real restoration.......My Way  ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.