FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Choice For Walleyes  (Read 8368 times)

Reelmaster

Re: Line Choice For Walleyes
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 08:53 AM »
8 or 10 lb berkley Xl for trolling or I ve got 10 lb power pro on my spining rod.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

cnyfishing

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Historically, I used 6 and 8 pound stren with mackdaddy since we fish the same lake, but I'm thinking of trying fireline this year, the 10lb./4lb. diameter kind. Does anybody know if walleye are lineshy, and if so, what kind of floro leader do you recommend?
for the floro leader I use #8 p line
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Muskie Matt

« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2005, 07:32 AM »
BIG Berkley fan here. Vanish works awesome and 8# test does the trick. Managed my biggest 11#'s on 6# test when the water was a bit colder. In the summer I go up to 8#.....that's it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2005, 11:26 AM »
In past seasons, I used original Stren in either 6 or 8 lb test....mostly fish with a baitcaster for trolling and vertical jigging using 20lb Spiderwire Stealth....the reason I prefer this, is its super limp....virtually doesn't absorb much moisture and can be used for sightline fishing a slack line for the soft bite.....for trolling....it comes in handy when snagging branches and not having to worry about snapping line....to answer TFB's question about eyes being line shy????....if they are hungry it doesn't seem to matter.....I used to use yellow Stren mono for a long time with no apparent loss in interest....everyone has a preference and confidence line based on how its applied....so go get em....Grump

fishaholic1970

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2005, 06:21 AM »
I have had no problems landing 24" eye's on 8 lb. Trilene XL.  2 years ago  I switched to 6 lb. XL , for a more challenging fight. And wouldnt you know it , havent got an eye to bite on the stuff yet! So I keep one rod spooled with 8 lb. and one with 6 lb.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:17 PM »
I've been using 4lb fireline recently, and it kicks butt. the line says 4lb test, but its more like 6lb or 8lb.  Its strong enough to haul in walleyes and smallies and there is no stretch so even in gail force winds, i can feel the subtle slurp of  a 15" walleye.  The only thing different that i do is utilize a limber 7'6" spinning rod to cushion the line. Oh yeah, i can cast the stuff a freakin mile!

eyedoktr

« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:01 PM »
bigredfishing, you're almost right . the 4/10 Fireline is the strength of 10# but the diameter of 4#. It is great line. I love to jig with it. A limber rod helps but also keep your drag loose. If you get a big fish on, you want itto be able to pull line and not rip off.
Pete Lewis

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2005, 12:07 AM »
the 4/10 fireline is nice, but i was talking about the 1lb diameter 4lb test actually...I have been using the 2 or 3lb diameter 8lb test, but the 1/4 is still strong enough but gives me even better feel.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2005, 02:18 PM »
I used to use berkley xl 6lb for walleye but this year have switched to the 10lb/2lb dia power pro line with a 4ft leader of 6lb berkley vanish. Works great and tough as h**l  8)

devil-man

« Reply #24 on: Jun 19, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I lost a monster Friday night on 6# Sensation because I couldn't horse it out of the weeds. See the Silver Lake (NY) thread for the story. It will never happen again!

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2005, 02:33 PM »
That sucks Devil-man I hate losing fish like that! I hooked a p**sed off 27" carp this year and it went right through the reeds and the power pro just sliced right through em! I was surprised and happy I tried it out!

MarcusJ

« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2005, 03:03 AM »
I use PP with the 6 or 8lb diameter.  I like that best because i also catch alot of pike while fishing for walleye so there is not as much chance of a cut line.

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2005, 06:39 AM »
I don't use anything over 8lb test for walleyes.I just set my drag a little looser than I normaly do.I can't seem to feel them as good with anything over 8 but it might just be that I feel more confident with 6 or 8lb test line.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #28 on: Jun 27, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I've been using 6 lb original stren this year and it has worked great but I am going to try fireline!

OTIS

« Reply #29 on: Jun 28, 2005, 09:47 AM »
the 4/10 fireline is nice, but i was talking about the 1lb diameter 4lb test actually...I have been using the 2 or 3lb diameter 8lb test, but the 1/4 is still strong enough but gives me even better feel.

Do you use a floral leader or tie directly to your lure?  I'm curious to try fireline, but hesitant for some unknown reason.  I always use 4lb test for walleye, I seem to catch more fish than I do on 6 lb test.  Maybe it's just a confidence thing?  Last fall I tried the Cajun red, tough line the only problem I've had is it seems brittle when tying knots.  I'm going to go back to XL this fall, but I'm thinking of rigging up an identical rod and reel with fireline just to try.

Thanks,
Otis
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.