FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Line Choice For Walleyes  (Read 8371 times)

Mackdaddy21

Line Choice For Walleyes
« on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Hey what line do you guys use for walleyes. I use six pound and occasionally even four pound mono because walleyes don't live in heavy cover usually, don't fight all that hard, and casting distance is best with this lighter line for cranks and jigs.

Tyler

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Line Choice For Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2005, 12:41 AM »
8lb minimum, we have zebra mussles on EVERYTHING in our lakes

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2005, 10:13 AM »
6-8 lb always, that's as light as I'll go for anything really, except trout.
Even the bluegills get 6lb, they hide in the weeds!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2005, 06:26 PM »
6-8 lb always, that's as light as I'll go for anything really, except trout.
Even the bluegills get 6lb, they hide in the weeds!

Yeah I have hooked bluegills so big that even 14/6 fireline wouldn't wrestle them out of the weeds in my giant gill lake, so I had to go swimming.
I usually use 6 pound test for trout, but trout are vicous fighters and you better have a good working drag. Having a loose drag during the fight for most trout is critical. It's not as critical for most all other species of fish in my mind, the fish just aren't that powerful as compaired to bruiser rainbows living in rivers or lakes.
Even on one lake, the rainbows bust schools of bluegills on the surface and will even come shallow in the evening to ambush walleyes that are moving shallow for the eve. They will smack your cranks so hard that if you miss the cranks will be sent flying. Then when you hook them, your spool just goes and goes and goes until they tire themselves. These trout usually run 2 - 7 pounds, but I've landed 12 pounders here and seen honest to goodness three foot trout steal hooked walleyes or smallmouths.
So trout are the only fish that consistantly break my line, but you catch them way better using light line. However I think anything less than 4 pound test isn't good for trout because they can be fought for so long that they will succumb to metabolic acidosis.

Tyler

Mikepike

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2005, 08:04 PM »
I dont know about you guys, But Northern ontario walleye fight good. I use 10 lb Trilene mono for all of my walleye fishing. Last year i hooked up two 25 inch walleyes on 14 lb green Trilene XL

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

cnyfishing

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2005, 05:37 PM »
for walleye I use 10 or 12 lb fireline with a 3 foot fluro leader
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

RogueAngler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2005, 12:41 PM »
for walleye applications,

Trolling on big open water: Gorilla Braid in 20 lb. floro leaders cranks, BB & spinners, boards

jigging: TecTan premium mono, small diameters high breaking strength, highly abrasive, low moderate stetch. you cant beat this pure mono no how .

Deep water jigging 40 fow and greater: Power Pro 1-8, 2-10

Rogue
" The older I get and the longer I live, the less time I have to go fishing"

OTIS

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2005, 01:37 PM »
4lb Trilene XL.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2005, 02:00 PM »
It depends on the lake you are fishing, but if it is like mine that has fair sized pike in it I like to go a bit heavier encase you have an encounter of the toothy kind. I will be using 10 lb fireline this season. 8)  >*)}}}>{

Water Wolf

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Historically, I used 6 and 8 pound stren with mackdaddy since we fish the same lake, but I'm thinking of trying fireline this year, the 10lb./4lb. diameter kind. Does anybody know if walleye are lineshy, and if so, what kind of floro leader do you recommend?

OTIS

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2005, 08:00 AM »
Historically, I used 6 and 8 pound stren with mackdaddy since we fish the same lake, but I'm thinking of trying fireline this year, the 10lb./4lb. diameter kind. Does anybody know if walleye are lineshy, and if so, what kind of floro leader do you recommend?

Around CNY a lot of guy's use fireline 10/4 for walleye's.  It's not so much a problem of being line shy, as it is the lighter line allows you to feel the bight a lot better than the heavier line.  As long as you have a good reel with a good drag system, you should have no problem landing 10 - 12 lb walleye on 4 lb line.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2005, 02:15 PM »
I like to use the PowerPro braided in 4 or 6 lb diameter with a 4 ft flourocarbon leader,  or just 8 lb P line works great too.  But I'm sure there are other great choices out there,  it's just a matter of preferences, price and what you can buy locally.  I think most lines out there are fine to get the job done.   My local Walmart is full of them   ;D
GONE FISH'G.......

Polar

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2005, 08:16 PM »
8 lb Stren on the smaller inland lakes. When I troll Erie and pull dipsy's, main line is 20 lb. then I use about a 8ft leader of 20lb florocarbon. On the other trolling rods I have braided line with the same leader as above.

fly-in

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 07:43 PM »
6LB, on a light ugly stick, its more fun to play with them then to winch them in (then s.s. aircraft cable would be my choice) and I don't catch very big "eyes", But I also hook-up with pike when I fish so I'm not worried

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 09:31 PM »
switched from vanish 6# to spiderwire super mono 6# due to a lot of lost walleyes...

so far the spiderline is holding up well, even hoarsed in a 30lb log ( thought for sure it was a 50 in pike)

smooth casts,  nice and clean on the spool :)

so far so good
"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.