FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Buying a boat  (Read 10554 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: Buying a boat
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 09:25 PM »
And how many airplanes have you seen in the water??  ;D  Airplanes are welded because on occasion the mechanics need to gain access to the structure or other components under the body panels, such as fuel tanks, etc.  A rivet is much easier to remove and re-install properly than to break a weld and then re-weld with a guaranteed good weld.   In my opinion, welded hulls are the way to go.  Slip North and buy one of these:
http://www.legendboats.com/

I've got the 18 xcaliber and its a great boat.
   The extreme 16....Besides that back pedestal seat and narrow platform it's sitting on, that's a copy of my boat. 85 starcraft with a 50 horse yamaha. Picked it up used for 1,300.00 last summer.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52 PM »
I certainly understand what you are saying, and you may be right.  All the owners that I know that have had issues have never taken the rivet out to inspect it to see if the hole the rivet was in oblonged and allowed it to leak, or if the rivet itself was to blame.  Bottom line is that they caused the boat to leak.  That CANNOT happen on a welded hull.  Most welded hull manufacturers warrant there hulls to be leak proof for life because it really can't leak as long as the weld is done properly, and the welds can be inspected easily to ensure they are right.  And just for the record, I have seen one boat where the rivet fell out completely and the hole was still perfect, so a rivet CAN fail.  And if you don't think a rivet can fail, go talk to an aircraft mechanic.  They do fail, but there are so many holding the pieces together that one failing is not a big deal, and so it will be replaced before it becomes an issue.

in most manufacturing plants...welds are X-rayed for air bubbles or "imperfections" before that product even see's the customer.... and I am also a certified mig welder..not tig though....  but I trust weld over rivet allways. Proven point is...no quality weld will ever break or leak in the weld area. Mayby around it...but never in a proper weld.... They are stronger than the metal built around that quality weld.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I certainly understand what you are saying, and you may be right.  All the owners that I know that have had issues have never taken the rivet out to inspect it to see if the hole the rivet was in oblonged and allowed it to leak, or if the rivet itself was to blame.  Bottom line is that they caused the boat to leak.  That CANNOT happen on a welded hull.  Most welded hull manufacturers warrant there hulls to be leak proof for life because it really can't leak as long as the weld is done properly, and the welds can be inspected easily to ensure they are right.  And just for the record, I have seen one boat where the rivet fell out completely and the hole was still perfect, so a rivet CAN fail.  And if you don't think a rivet can fail, go talk to an aircraft mechanic.  They do fail, but there are so many holding the pieces together that one failing is not a big deal, and so it will be replaced before it becomes an issue.

Just want to mention that...I have yet to figure out how to take a rivet out for inspection...without ruining it with a drill bit upon removal! ;)

Lifeguard

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Just want to mention that...I have yet to figure out how to take a rivet out for inspection...without ruining it with a drill bit upon removal! ;)

Yup, I couldn't think of a way to do it either, but I'm not a machinist or anything like that.  Some of the stuff machinist, welders, etc can pull off is very impressive.

FISH ON

• IT'S ALL FUN & GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES A WALLEYE
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Starting to look at boats, would like a welded aluminum in the 16-19 ft range, deep hull. Gonna keep my budget under 10k. Anyone know any deals, or see anything out there, please post. Thanks in advance....FM

Hey FM, Know where you can get a nice SPECTRUM, It will cost you a little more than $1400 Bucks! LOL I'll keep a eye out if i see a good deal! FISH ON.
No more Motorcycles! And no more boat.    

Spikehorn11

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Check this out.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/1731298368.html

I have been eying it but I can't afford it or really need it.

My family has always bought Sylvan boats and has good luck with them.

kingfisher22

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 06:16 AM »
If you want a real boat buy a Metalcraft Marine.  Made right in Clayton.  1/4" welded aluminum on the the bottom of the hull, 1/8" on the sides.   This is a boat you will pass down for generations.  Self bailing cockpit, interior layout anyway you want.  I have had riveted boats and destroyed them.  Rivets fail.  That argument about airplanes being riveted is right from the Lund ad.  Good rhetoric, but by all means not the end of the discussion.  They don't rivet submarines do they?  Nothing has to endure greater stresses than that.   Now before I get all you Lund owner all bent let me say that a Lund is a great boat, and rivets are a time tested way of joining aluminum, but I think a properly welded boat is the best way to go.  Smooth bottom means increased performance and no leaks period.   My boat was not cheap, but neither is a Lund.  I have friends who have Lunds and a guarantee my boat will be around long after theirs is scrap.  Fiberglass is nice, but fragile.  Bang into to a few bad docks and you can do a lot of damage real fast.  Also I don't recommend breaking ice in a fiberglass boat or banging over shoals when you miscalculate a drift.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24 AM »
Hey FM,

Don't you wish you had just posted:

"Bought a Boat Today"     ;)

As soon as I saw this I thought, " Which is better a Vex or a Marcum"    :D
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

FISH ON

• IT'S ALL FUN & GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES A WALLEYE
No more Motorcycles! And no more boat.    

Gamma Fish

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 11:02 AM »
There is a Lund for sale on Craigslist.  Thought it was $8900.  Located on Lakeshore right as it gets to the lake on the right.  Can't miss it.  I have a friend who has a Lund Pro V 19XX with a 225 yamaha (4 stroke) and 4 stroke 9.9 kicker, jack plate, front and rear electric trolling motors  etc, loaded.  It was a walleye pro's boat.  Not sure how much he's looking to get but I think it was around 16k.  Great condition.
I've looked at that Lund and it's been through the war.......twice ! ::) ::)  Someone beat the snot out of it and it looks like they never took care of it.     Probably worth the money if it runs properly but definitely in need of much TLC.
Plastics are Fantastic !

Gamma Fish

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Welded hull, riveted hull, glass etc.  The bottom line is getting the most bang for your buck and getting something that will hold it's value as with any man toy, you'll want to upgrade in the future !
   Things I've learned from experience:   Don't buy Tracker boats.  Don't buy Fisher boats.  Don't buy Spectrum boats.   
   Buy a little more boat than you need if you plan on fishing different bodies of water. (a small aluminum rig for small waters can be bought down the road if needed).    Keep safety in mind first,   Comfort second .     
     Don't listen to salesmen.................unless of course you're at a Lund dealer as they don't have to BS you to sell a boat  ;) 

And lastly,........................BUY A LUND FIRST.......because you WILL end up there eventually so why waste time and money  ?

There's a reason why Lund Boats have been the boat of choice by the majority of tournament fishermen for decades.   

Save yourself a lot of headaches .  Instead of researching many different manufacturers and banging your head on the wall during that lengthy process, just look at the Lund boats and eliminate those headaches and the long list of promises that other dealers / salesmen or individuals who're selling boats will give you in an attempt to sell what they're offering.
  You'll also find that Lund owners take much better care of their boats than others (except me of course) !     

It's a simple question.   Do you want a Rolls Royce and a Rambler ? ;D ;D ;D ;D   
Plastics are Fantastic !

skidplate

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Rolls are English... I never heard the term 'English engineering' used in a positive manner. Lund is more like a Benz.
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I do agree with Kingfishers post, how thick is the aluminum on the Lund models?

bb4

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 03:33 PM »
OK, I agree with Kingfisher too except that Winninghoff Welded boats first, Metalcraft second.  But I do really like Metalcraft.  I posted earlier, I have a friend with a Lund Prov 1900, loaded.  Anyone that is serious about a boat should look at this boat before they buy anything.  It's a steal.  Contact me if someone wants more info or the number to call about the boat.

snuffynra

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24 PM »
i didnt read all the reply's,but if your looking for a welded boat(which im not sure why) you wont find them in lund or alumacraft, as far as the trophy 185,you wont touch it for under $20,000,and that would be a deal, there are alot of GOOD boats out there, money is always an issue...well for most of us  ;D. you have to really think things over when buying a boat, sadly in the boat world now $10,000 wont get you in ANY new boat. there are deals out there though , many people will tell you to get a lund,or alumacraft,crestliner or a few  of the other top boats , they are great boats , and if the money is right YOU CANT go wrong . boats of that caliber do last  A LONG TIME even when mistreated. BUT  i have fished out of many lower end boats that were treated with respect that were great boats. you should look hard into the welded vs riveted hull boats before you buy, riveted hulls (lund,alumacraft) flex ,welds dont ill keep it at that :) but many think if they buy the big name boats they can go out and bang waves all the time....WRONG  no boat is made for that, freddie  (filet & release) has a $40,000 boat ask him if he could pound 3s and 4s all day without his wallet snapping ;D at him . ok enough babbling from me , i just hate when guys say ...you have to get this,or you have to get that,you ever see real old guys in real old boats??? they bought them when they were  not that old ;D ;D ;D  but if you want  a sales pitch .......here goes   http://www.warnersdock.com/Alumacraft.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.