FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Top Three Tips For Trout Fishing  (Read 2545 times)

jjf

Top Three Tips For Trout Fishing
« on: Apr 29, 2006, 02:01 PM »
Well I figure I start this thread to see what new tips we could  share with new trout anglers. I still consider myself a rookie.  You suggestions can be for lake or stream fishing. It can be for any species of trout. It can be regarding a lures, presentations or whatever...
What three things would you tell someone trout fishing for the first time??

I will start with my three tips:
1) Use worms/nightcrawlers - it is a very reliable bait in both lake and streams for rainbows, browns and brookies. I simply have caught more fish with worms.
2) Don't cast a shadow- I have read it and seen it in my own experience. Trout seemed to get easy spooked :o
3) Walk/cover some ground- this seems to be especially important in stream fishing. The more I walk the more fish i catch. :)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Top Three Tips For Trout Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2006, 02:14 PM »
from another novice trout angler....

1) walk lightly, especially around banks
2) Find shade, areas or pools that give the fish some shade or cover
3) Match the hatch, in no other fish is this as important....very natural shapes and colours.

Fishingking

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Stream trout

1) Cover ground  (undercut banks, deep pools, shallow rifles) Each stream is different
2) Don't be afraid to switch up from spinners to crawlers, mealworms/spikes, to Rapala's for those 15" plus browns
3) Match the hatch and make your drift as natural as possible with the current.

Every Lake is alot differnt :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2006, 10:51 PM »
The three tips I would give would for a novice fishing for trout with spinning rods would be

1) Don't cast a shadow, wear dull colors, camo before blaze orange. They can see you.

2) Keep moving, try many spots and watch the water for fish. It doesn't matter if there surfacing or not just that there in the area. Polarized sunglasses are a must!!!

3) Go small!!! I've seen guys fishing with lures that could catch pike in the trout streams. It's unreal. I go light on the line and lures. I use 4lb test and the smallest lures I can cast.

A side note 90% percent of my trout fishing is done in small streams. I'm not chasing big water steelheads and browns.

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

winchester 88

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:31 AM »
I'm not a trout fisherman but I found that a recent article in Fir-Fish-Game Jan. 06 called "Trout on a Worm" was interesting so I saved it.
 It covers different hook, leader and split shot applications along with the use of different types and sizes of worms to use when stream fishing.
 If you would like to read it and can't find it send me an e-mail and I'll try to get it to you.
 Good fishin....
 Winchester 88

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:35 AM »
1. Fish spots others won't fish.

2. concentrate on overlooked creeks and strectches of creeks.

3. Fish in the rain.

bonus
** for big trout, use lures and baits much larger than you would think a trout would eat.  I caught 15" and bigger browns last year fishing a 5" golden shiner

tip-uptwo

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:48 AM »
1. Fish spots others won't fish.

2. concentrate on overlooked creeks and strectches of creeks.

3. Fish in the rain.

bonus
** for big trout, use lures and baits much larger than you would think a trout would eat.  I caught a 15" brown last year fishing a 5" golden shiner

BigRed just summed it all up  :laugh:

Oh yeah............Stealth

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2006, 03:15 PM »
 Reading water correctly, keeping your distance from the area you are going to present your lure/bait/fly. Look for days when the creeks and rivers are slightly stained or chalky, throw in an overcast day and you should have yourself text book trout fishing conditions. Big bait/lure/fly= bigger fish.. period.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Hood

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Reading water correctly, keeping your distance from the area you are going to present your lure/bait/fly.

I really like that!

-Lots of "S" turns and zigzagging in your troll allows the inside baits to drop then come back up. It covers vertical water well and can pay off huge!
-Use Worms.
-Fish your baits in the same direction the wind is blowing
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2006, 07:06 PM »
What about the tackle nobody really touched base on any sort of good hints for what rod/reel to use and hooks adn all the rest?    Ive seen way too many people using way too heavey tackle and wondering why they arnt catching anything.       

Ive got a 8 foot super-ultralight made by ht with a small spinning reel spooled with 4 pound test for bank fishing or large streams and lakes,   

and Ive got a uglstick with 4lb test for streams that are small and brushy.   

Hooks:
Use small hooks (try gold or red), like say size 6 or smaller longshanked hooks, they hold morn korn/worms/powerbait or whatever you are using.       

dont use a lot of weight as splashes scare fish and catch snags easily.     

If using a bobber go small, trout cant pull under a large float, try using a small weighted foam bobber, they cast a ways and are still easy to be pulled under.         

thats more then three but thats the bare basics to get someone started.     Too many times me and my family have come home with our limit when people fishing near us are struggling to catch one or two.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

jjf

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2006, 08:08 PM »
I'm not a trout fisherman but I found that a recent article in Fir-Fish-Game Jan. 06 called "Trout on a Worm" was interesting so I saved it.
 It covers different hook, leader and split shot applications along with the use of different types and sizes of worms to use when stream fishing.
 If you would like to read it and can't find it send me an e-mail and I'll try to get it to you.
 Good fishin....
 Winchester 88

winchester, I'll take you up on that article.send me a pm. thanks ;)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 06:29 AM »
What about the tackle nobody really touched base on any sort of good hints for what rod/reel to use and hooks adn all the rest?    Ive seen way too many people using way too heavey tackle and wondering why they arnt catching anything.       

Ive got a 8 foot super-ultralight made by ht with a small spinning reel spooled with 4 pound test for bank fishing or large streams and lakes,   

and Ive got a uglstick with 4lb test for streams that are small and brushy.   

Hooks:
Use small hooks (try gold or red), like say size 6 or smaller longshanked hooks, they hold morn korn/worms/powerbait or whatever you are using.       

dont use a lot of weight as splashes scare fish and catch snags easily.     

If using a bobber go small, trout cant pull under a large float, try using a small weighted foam bobber, they cast a ways and are still easy to be pulled under.         

thats more then three but thats the bare basics to get someone started.     Too many times me and my family have come home with our limit when people fishing near us are struggling to catch one or two.   

Tackle can depend on what kind of day you are fishing. If your fishing a bright sunny afternoon with water as clear as gin you have to go light but the downside to that is on days like this you have to cast up and in undercut banks overhanging thickets, log jams and the first place a big trout goes when hooked is right back into them and that means, SNAP; and is the reason I pray for those damp drizzling days and stained water, trout move out from there hiding spots but not to far, and in these conditions the much bigger and smarter fish kinda get a little relaxed and are more apt to chase a lure or streamer around. These are conditions you want heavy tackle because they are going to head right toward their cover area imediately and with the heavy line you can put the wood to them and turn them faster.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 11:36 AM »
I second the fish in the shadows and wear dark clothing tips.

I'll add

Stay the F out of the river unless you have to walk in it and
even moving the bait a couple inches is a different presentation to stream trout. 

I have never chased lake run trout but would like to one day.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 04:01 PM »
stelth mode  :whistling:
Loren .W.

fishnut

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Basic rule of fishing for trout...

Find out what the're feeding on, and mimic that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.